Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2014, 07:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
exactly like mine, [moderator edit]
We are also worried about fire hazard but are out of warranty. Dealer is getting us a price on a replacement flap.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 05:01 AM   #16

Really?

I can't imagine how the no restraint flaps would have lasted for 6000 miles as mine were gone in 1200. I replaced my flaps with NAPA mud flaps that I resized for the application and then fabbed up some small chain restraints to hold them from blowing back onto the tires. Been 12k miles now and no issues.
I don't see how a flap would have damaged the side wall of the tire though. Takes a lot to wear out a ten ply tire. Can you explain what happened exactly to the tire. Did you call Michelin about this? Sounds suspicious to me?

Old 05-26-2014, 06:41 AM   #17

Since dealer denied any responsibility for the tire damage, I have contacted Michelin for some relief. No response yet. To his benefit, the dealer did not charge labor to replace the tire. I asked the tech to check the valves on the other rear tires and he determined they were loose. It was my contention that the valve extension on the inside reaar tire came loose causing the damage to the wall of the inside tire but the dealer would not hear of that. Said the installation was ok. Hopefully Michelin will have a positive response or us.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #18

bad tire

Any dealer worth his salt would have had Michelin on this from the get go. Tires do not go bad for no reason and surely not from a mud flap rubbing on the face of it! I smell a dirty deal here. Having been a Michelin dealer for 14 years I can tell you that they should have been on this immediately and the dealer should have called them for you. My suspicion is that the bolt in valve (my assumption) was not check for a leak after installing the new tires (if they replaced them at all) or at a minimum the valve core was not reinstalled tightly after deflating the old tires (if they kept the old valves in).
Michelin has a RV consumer line. They have been very helpful over the years and in fact have replaced two sets of tires on my Chateau within the first 4000 miles at a no charge basis. Can't imagine that they won't do anything for you!
When I was in CA last fall I met another RV'r that had purchased a Chateau from a one owner. While talking about tires I inspected his 8 ply units on his coach and found all the BFGoodrich tires to be weather cracked. I was concerned for his safety as it was very hot then and he was talking about taking a long road trip. I called Michelin for him and got him 6 new rib tires with 10 ply rating and got the old tires adjusted saving him 600 dollars on the new acquisition. Frankly, Michelin did not have to do anything for him as he was not the original owner but they stood behind the product and he was very grateful for that.
Let me know how you make out.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #19

That was my argument...that there was a problem with the valves or the valve extension they put on which caused the tire to blow. If something got between the two tires, why wasn't the outside tire damaged also? While I was there I asked another tech to check the valve and valve extension on the passenger side tire and guess what...they were both loose and he had to tighten them! I have written to Michelin for some relief so we will see what they say.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #20

Mud Flaps

I own a 2013 E350 Class C Motor Home and have had the same problem there was a self tapping screw on an L bracket attached to the mud flap and then two self tapping screws attached to the body of the motor home the L bracket snapped in two and the mud flap went against the tires. My wife and I jury rigged a cloth dog leash through the mud flap and tied off on the propane tank. What a piece of work Thor or whoever first put this mud flap on did. Only securing it as mentioned above on one side made it impossible not to break and the materials used were so light weight you could bend the broken L bracket in your fingers.

Has anyone contacted Thor Yet
Old 08-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Yep, same thing happened to me on my first long trip in my ACE. Don't know if they burnt up or were rocked to death while behind sand trucks in California that spring break. Took it to Guaranty RV in Juction City Or and they contacted THOR. Got approval and dealership put on heavier duty ones they had in stock...never a problem again. Thor mud flap it real thin and brittle.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
The drivers side flap on my 2012 Freedom Elite (Thor) 26E is okay but the passenger side is a little ragged from the exhaust pipe it rubs against it - and like others quality is a little to be desired on the interior, we are thinking of trading it in for diesel - like the performance of the V-10 but it seems like no matter if I cruise at 55 or 65 I get 7 1/2 mpg granted so far I have always had a toad, will see on this next trip as I am only taking my Harley with me to Savannah.

We have a 98 Damon Daybreak 2630 in storage that I am getting ready to sell - interior is better built then the Thor but a big problem I had was that the brake master cylinder is right next to the exhaust manifold - last trip in the damon we were on a twisting road (no toad) on our way to Hersey PA when we stopped at the park the wife told me the left front wheel was smoking - no heat shield between the cylinder and manifold which caused the brake fluid to boil and leak on the left front rotor - it has been in storage ever since (4 years now) until I get around to making a shield which has to be soon since the DW has me doing a late spring cleaning and wants to get rid all the junk I have now that I am back to the US for good (was able to not clean the garage for almost 7 years LOL)
Old 08-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogden View Post
Anyone with a new Thor coach might want to check their mud flaps. Mine on our new 24C Chateau have burned up on the rear tires. NO restraints installed so the wind pushes them onto the tires until they vanish. Could this be a fire hazard next to the propane tank?
As a mud flap manufacturer (NOT the ones for the Thor fender wells) I have to wonder why they put one in front of the rear tires. I have had truck owners do the same thing with our stiffer material that does not fly, but it is not common.
I understand that mud can stick to the tires and fly forward onto the coach as it comes up and over, but I never thought it was really a necessity to have them in the front.
If it is a problem, just remove them. Otherwise, phone DuraFlap with the dimensions, and we can send you new material in the size you need in our stiffer material that does not fly.
I would like to hear from others if they think the front mud flap really helps.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:12 AM   #24

I resolved the (spook-in-the-bathroom) by shimming the striker plate about an 1/8.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker_dad View Post
I resolved the (spook-in-the-bathroom) by shimming the striker plate about an 1/8.
Trucker-dad: I'd be grateful if you described what you did in more detail: although Thor approved and Camping World did straighten out the hinge on my rig, the door still pops open when I go over bumps.

By the way, I didn't mention it before, but my 24C developed an enormous rattle. I thought it was the heat shield broken loose and banging on the manifold; so, I took it to the Ford dealer, thinking that it was Ford's poor workmanship. It turned out, however, to be another fault at Thor: they are to remove the brackets that Ford uses on the exhaust pipe (replacing them with their own brackets, attached to the motorhome), but they removed only one bolt on one of the brackets, leaving it there to dangle and bang against the exhaust pipe. I should add: Thor picked up the ($70) charge for the Ford dealer finding and fixing the problem,
Old 09-12-2014, 04:49 AM   #26

those mud flaps

Nina, the only reason I can think that Thor installs these front flaps is to protect the propane tank which, on the 24c, is directly in front of the rear tires. That and the fact that there is a bunch of wires etc drapped along that area might be the reason they do this. Very poor planning on their part for sure.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #27
Commercial Member

If anyone here wants to try putting our thick polyethylene material in place of the original material to test it, we would be happy to send 1 pair out to the first person that calls. They do not fly, but the question is if there is enough room for the mud flap to not hit the tires.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #28

Mud flaps are small problem compared to wheel wells.

If you think your mud flaps are poorly installed,you should take a good look at your units wheel wells where they meet the outside body underneath.Talk about a sawzall job thats butchered.

Tags
rvs, thor