Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #1

Lightbulb My 1st RV: 1993 Gulf Stream Ultra 29" HELP Battery disconnect switch

Hey all,

New to the RV world. Just purchased a 1993 Gulf Stream Ultra custom edition 29" class c. Love it. Mint condition. A few questions for those in the know:

Where is my battery disconnect switch? I was told it should be around the side doorway but no such luck.

Also, was getting a little squealing when I started the RV but it would go away after a couple seconds of running. Now the squealing is continuous during idle and while driving. Very loud. Comes and goes while driving but mostly comes. I'm bringing in to a shop to be looked at but perhaps some suggestions as to what I might be dealing with.

Thanks!

Sean

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Squealing = loose or worn out belts.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2001 Gulfstream Conquest did not have a battery disconnect switch. It also did not have an emergency start button. Gulfstream says it is automatic and kicks in if the chassis battery is low - don't know if that is true or not - it always started.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 on the battery switch. Make sure to turn off the switch in the freezer for moisture it will KILL the battery FAST. Also the house battery runs the marker and tail lights make sure the contacts are tight. Learned that on the way home from TX with mine. It could be the idler pulley try spraying a little wd-40 on it get it behind the nut but not on the belt. Then try running engine.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #5

My 2000 Ultra switch was under the entry door step next to the battery.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Can't help on the switch, just confirm it's usually at the entrance door.

Your description sounds like a fan belt squeal. If your '93 has v belts, that what I would look at. If its sepentine, then probably not.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #7

Engine is repaired. New belts in. The switch is still MIA. I wish it was someplace simple like to the inside left of the coach door but its not. I emailed Gulf Stream and a tech responded with "inside the exterior drivers side compartment. The switch will be gray." I've looked in all the drivers side compartments with no luck. Is there anyone out there with a 29'' 1993 Gulf Stream or that used to have one that can give me a definitive position on this battery disconnect switch? Thanks

Sean
Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
As some said, you may not have one. I would start at my coach battery and trace the cable to the BCC. If you encounter that cable going through a solenoid, you do have a battery disconect with a remote switch. If you encounter a manual switch, thats it. Cable goes straight to the Batt Control Center, you dont have one, but fairly easy to install one.

Cable may not be that easy to trace, but it should be routed underneath along the frame and not through walls or ceiling.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery