Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #1

Nebbie with an electrical issue

Hello,

I took my RV in for service to get the Genset control module replaced and to have an overall check done to make sure it is ready for service. My switch that connects and disconnects the RV when it's not in service had some issues and was repaired and various small items like sink seals and such were replaced. All my interanal gas sensors were also replaced since they were 10 years old. They told me all was good to go. They were wrong, as I found out on our first (and maybe last RV trip.)

When we got to the site I plugged in the shore power and all was well. Everything seemed to be working. I made sure the little switch that says "in use" was on and lit up. All the lights were good, the TV worked, the radio worked. All seemed OK.

Things were fine until about 1 am when the LPG sensor started beeping. The last time this happened my "house" battery was low. But I had just charged the thing up! So I checked the level of the battery and it was about dead! I started the generator but it did not charge the battery up. I started the engine and it did begin to charge the battery up, but I cant leave my engine running the whole time.

Now I'm new to RV'ing and this is a 10 year old RV I got from my dad upon his death. I thought when you pluged into shore power it also charged your house battery, and all the 12v stuff worked off the house battery, but that would be ok since it was continually being charged. However, that does not happen with me. I can run my generator all day and have it plugged into the shore and it will not charge the battery.

What gives, is their a power converter that has gone out. Does the AC and the Generator power go to the same place before being distributed? Im really lost here and thinking this RV stuff is beginning to be a little too expensive and a pain in the butt. Please help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #2

The gen has a transfer switch, pwr goes to when gen is on
but most electrical problems can be found fast at rv shop
and usually don't cost that much. Rv's are just like cars they can break
down anytime, new or older. The pwr converter shouldn't have any
thing to do with battery. There is a relay or solinoid that could be out
causing batt not to charge, should be near battery check to see volts
on one side then ck on other side to see if current is going thru to battery.

taki44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #3

house battery

You don't by any chance have the refer on DC as opposed AC? Shouldn't cause all your problems, but a weak battery can't take the extra strain.
Dick
Old 10-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #4

My transfer switch works fine. I visually saw it work between he shore power and gen power. My problem seems to be that neither electrical source is charging the battery.

I called my rv mechanic this morning to discuss and be said something about an inverter.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #5

Lemming,

If the symptoms are outlining are even close, then the thing you need most is a new mechanic.... Just my humble experience based on about 5 decades of doing this sort of thing.

Unless you have an inverter/charger then there is no inverter involved at all. Even if there is, he should have identified that on your telephone conversation when you called him.

What you should do is:
Check that there is power to the converter/charger (or what ever is there). This should be there whether it comes from shore power or the APU.
If you confirm that, then there should be charge level output from it and this should be something in the 13V+ area (what is not important at this time). If there is proper voltage there, and not at the batteries, then start following cables. There may be a house battery disconnect that nobody told you about. (This comes around to the new mechanic again.)

If in the foreseeable case that there is power to and not out of the converter. Then maybe it is just the fuse in the converter or maybe the smoke leaked out of one of the important little parts inside.

Matt
Old 10-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Your batteries are not being charging. They could be bad or the ac/dc converter/charger is no working or not geting a charge to the batteries. Test your batteies first for dead cells. Dead "good" batteries will charge when a charge is applied. Dead "bad batteries wont charge. A bad ac/dc converter wont charge good or bad batteries.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #7

The mechanic did mention an inverter. I checked the binder that came with my RV and there is a cut sheet showing it, but I have not been able to locate it. I did check my house fuse box and all fuses seemed ok. I know the battery can take a charge because when I drive it the engine alternator charges it.

I'd check the inverter myself if I could find it. Where are they typically located? Would one typically access is from inside or outside he rv?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #8

Did you ever get this problem resolved? Ron
Old 10-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #9

Nothing resolved yet, I have an appointment the 6th of nov.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like your CONVERTER is not working. It takes 120 v AC and converts it to 12 v DC to power the 12 v items in the coach and charge the battery. An INVERTER makes 120 v AC from 12 v DC batteries. They don't usually have a charging circuit since they work from the batteries they can't put energy back in them. The Converter is usually located near circuit breaker box for 120 v, but in a Class C I'm not sure about that. If you find the converter, check it for power in and out, they often have a 12 v fuse or two hidden along the sides of the box. They often have a cooling fan, so if it's working, you might hear the fan.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #11

The converter on our class c Jayco is under the bed.
taki44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #12

Reading through this article will help you figure out your problem, and possibly fix it yourself !

http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/RV%2...converter.html

Tags
electrical