I took my RV in for service to get the Genset control module replaced and to have an overall check done to make sure it is ready for service. My switch that connects and disconnects the RV when it's not in service had some issues and was repaired and various small items like sink seals and such were replaced. All my interanal gas sensors were also replaced since they were 10 years old. They told me all was good to go. They were wrong, as I found out on our first (and maybe last RV trip.)
When we got to the site I plugged in the shore power and all was well. Everything seemed to be working. I made sure the little switch that says "in use" was on and lit up. All the lights were good, the TV worked, the radio worked. All seemed OK.
Things were fine until about 1 am when the LPG sensor started beeping. The last time this happened my "house" battery was low. But I had just charged the thing up! So I checked the level of the battery and it was about dead! I started the generator but it did not charge the battery up. I started the engine and it did begin to charge the battery up, but I cant leave my engine running the whole time.
Now I'm new to RV'ing and this is a 10 year old RV I got from my dad upon his death. I thought when you pluged into shore power it also charged your house battery, and all the 12v stuff worked off the house battery, but that would be ok since it was continually being charged. However, that does not happen with me. I can run my generator all day and have it plugged into the shore and it will not charge the battery.
What gives, is their a power converter that has gone out. Does the AC and the Generator power go to the same place before being distributed? Im really lost here and thinking this RV stuff is beginning to be a little too expensive and a pain in the butt. Please help.