Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #1

Need advice

My wife and I will be looking for a Class C motorhome soon. My daughter has been fighting cancer for 5 years and she could use our help around her house, driving her to doctor appointments and with my grandson who has Autism. Her house just isn't large enough for us to just move in and we would like to have a place of our own. So we will be living in the motorhome parked along side her house and hopefully we will be able to use it to take a long weekend away once in a while. We have owned trailers in the past but never a motorhome, which we have always wanted. We are wanting advice on motorhome brands based on quality. We will be buying used and would like to spend no more than $50,000.00, less if possible. As far as length, we are looking around 26 to 27ft. with a slide out. Thanks.

Brian

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #2

If you buy from a dealer, do not believe every thing the salesman tells you. Look around on ebay and creigslist.org. Lots of deals out there now.

Good luck.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are doing the right thing research all the floor plans. You should be able get one easy in the price you want. It will take some patience and a little effort on your part. Make sure you also check the city codes where your daughter lives to make sure there isn't some stupid law about parking. Ebay is a great place to look at the differant options for style and functions.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #4

I must say kudos to you for the effort to help out your daughter and grandson. That is an awesome gesture, and I must say I am impressed.

I think you are on the right track researching floor plans. Before we inherited our motor home from my wife's Grandparents I did a lot of research on floor plans and RV options, because we were looking to upgrade from our popup camper.

I also agree that you should not believe everything sales people tell you. I got screwed pretty bad with my popup camper taking a dealer's word on a repair (of course he screwed up and tried to hide it, which is another story). I have since found 2 local dealers that will do anything for their customers, which is awesome.

I do not have experience with motor homes in the price range you mentioned, but one thing I would suggest is looking into motor homes that have a dealer support in the area you will be living. Prior to my motor home I had a starcraft popup camper. I had issues finding a couple parts in my area. The closest dealership to me was a couple hundred miles away. I don't know if this is an issue with motorhomes, but it is something that I heard happens a lot around here with campers.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #5

Let me say first that this is only my opinion and do not intend this to insult any specific MH manufacturer. However, with that said I'd suggest you look at Winnebago / Itasca. We previously owned a National MH and were quite pleased with it; however, we do like the support from Winnebago, the quality of construction, the availability or parts, and the ability to get engineering drawings easily online. We found it hard to find a MH with a full fiberglass roof and many well thought out amenities w/o spending much more than we wanted to spend. We recently went through the used MH search and based on our findings I am very sure that you can easily find a used MH in your price range if not much less. By the way, do not rule out Class A motorhomes. They are VERY price competitive with Class C and offer much more storage and living room. Also, you can find 'short' RVs down to approx 26'. Fact is, we bought a 32' with double slides and therefore it feels very roomy. Best of luck in your search and your family will be in our prayers.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #6

I (we) really appreciate you members taking the time to answer. I will use your advice in our search for the right RV. This will be our first motorhome and the first time we are purchasing a used RV.

dunlapml, thanks for the advive on Winnebago / Itasca. They were ones that I was seriously considering already but I am glad to hear your endorsement.

Brian
Old 07-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #7

One thing to consider is when you are parked at your daughters house you will want to get at least a 30 amp circuit/socket installed so you can run everything in the mh you decide to get. Any electrician can do this and it not very expensive and worth the price. Also, you will need to consider waste water disposal also known as dumping the tanks. Can you tie into the sewer system, or find a place to dump every "X" number of days? I suspect you will be able to bathe and such in your daughter's house but just a consideration. Make want to look at holding tank sizes as part of your eval.

And are you set on a class C? there are some nice used 30 ft Class A's on the market well within your price range and they give a much better feeling of space and typically provide more storage. Just an opinion and thought.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpalmer View Post
I (we) really appreciate you members taking the time to answer. I will use your advice in our search for the right RV. This will be our first motorhome and the first time we are purchasing a used RV.

dunlapml, thanks for the advive on Winnebago / Itasca. They were ones that I was seriously considering already but I am glad to hear your endorsement.

Brian
No problem. By the way, check out Best Preowned RVs . They've been very nice and are good to deal with.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpalmer View Post

Brian
I too recommend Winnebago. In my searching for a MH I went in a lot of Class As and Class Cs, old and new, and every time it was the Winnebagos that caught my attention as being the best. I'm hoping to save up and eventually get the "Access 31J", in the meantime I had to settle for a $1,000 used MH.

But do make sure you go inside lots of floor plan models. You can look at them in the brochures and online, but nothing compares to actually walking around inside and seeing just exactly what it feels like to be in one. Different floor plans make a big difference too. It make take you a while to decide which is best for you - it took me 2 years to decide on a floorplan! LOL!

I too live outside of campgrounds. Be sure to contact the town hall and find out the laws regarding motorhomes on private property - some towns do not allow them AT ALL, even if you are not living in them, some towns do not let you live in them unless you have "full hook ups" installed on the property, some towns let you live in them provided you take it to a dump station weekly...I know this from having been told these things by towns I have stayed in, so make sure you ask before you park to find out what laws your town has about motorhomes.

BTW - I wanted to point out: I am 35 years old, I have Autism. Life for me is a challenge. I was 27 years old before I was able to "function" on my own without "adult supervision". I was 28 before I started talking "full conversations", 30 before I got my first job, 31 my first apartment, 34 my driver's license.

A lot of parents give up on Autistic children because doctors tell them "they'll never lead full lives, they'll never have jobs, they'll never drive cars, never be able to live on their own"... doctors who tell you this are wrong. I started writing at age 3, and have been able to communicate to others through written words my whole life. Vocal conversation is still very difficult for me, as are most social situations, I learn very slowly and need repetition, but I do eventually learn. In my life many adults, my parents included, gave up on me: doctors said I would never be able to live on my own, never have a normal adult life, never have a job, never drive a car: they were wrong. You are doing a very good thing here. Do not give up on your grandson.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BTW - I wanted to point out: I am 35 years old, I have Autism. Life for me is a challenge. I was 27 years old before I was able to "function" on my own without "adult supervision". I was 28 before I started talking "full conversations", 30 before I got my first job, 31 my first apartment, 34 my driver's license.

A lot of parents give up on Autistic children because doctors tell them "they'll never lead full lives, they'll never have jobs, they'll never drive cars, never be able to live on their own"... doctors who tell you this are wrong.

I'm SO GLAD to read this I have to sons 18 & 16 both Autism/aspergers. This gives me hope they will do good in life.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat View Post
I too recommend Winnebago. In my searching for a MH I went in a lot of Class As and Class Cs, old and new, and every time it was the Winnebagos that caught my attention as being the best. I'm hoping to save up and eventually get the "Access 31J"....

I too live outside of campgrounds. Be sure to contact the town hall and find out the laws regarding motorhomes on private property - some towns do not allow them AT ALL, even if you are not living in them, some towns do not let you live in them unless you have "full hook ups" installed on the property, some towns let you live in them provided you take it to a dump station weekly...I know this from having been told these things by towns I have stayed in, so make sure you ask before you park to find out what laws your town has about motorhomes.

A lot of parents give up on Autistic children because doctors tell them "they'll never lead full lives, they'll never have jobs, they'll never drive cars, never be able to live on their own"... doctors who tell you this are wrong.
Good advice - both on the RV and life. Hope you get that Access 31J in your near future! On another note, we've gained a little wisdom along with our age (may be debateable at times) but we have learned that doctors are people. Educated in some areas but not all areas - including medicine. Unfortunately the medical educational system appears to teach many doctors that they are the beginning and end of all knowledge. Simply put - absolutely not true. They are people, full of faults, errors, occasional wisdom, and travelling the same road life.

Go for it friend.