Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2015, 09:58 AM   #1

Need advice about whether to get pre purchase inspection

Hello,
My name is Kate and I am new to the forum. I have been reading a lot of helpful information on the post and am grateful to all of you for sharing your knowledge and experiences .

I would be very appreciative for some advice about the purchase of a 2012 View 24G. I am wondering if it is worthwhile to have an RV inspector check it out for us ( about $900 for a home inspection of everything in the coach and doing fluid tests on the engine) before making the final purchase. My husband I have never owned an RV and just put a deposit on it contingent upon passing the inspection.

Now we are wondering about if we need to spend the money on the inspection since it is privately owned with 13,000 miles and kept under cover by an older couple who have owned it for 2 years (they purchased it used). They have taken 3 trips in it and claim to have had no problems. Sadly one of the owners is quite ill - thus the reason for selling it. It looks in beautiful shape with the blackstone full body paint and many of the upgrades.

We have never owned an RV so we are completely newbies 😊. It seems like everything is working fine ( from our very very limited knowledge) and it drives nicely. The only things we found wrong is the living room ceiling LED lights are not working and there seems to be some question if the fob is working properly to lock/unlock the doors. The owner said he will fix the ceiling lights. They seemed baffled about the fob. We had them hook it up to water and electric and tried out the AC, all appliances and water at the kitchen and shower faucets and the diesel generator which started up fine.
Has anyone out there ever had an inspection and/or bought a View without one.
Advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!!!
Kate

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Is the inspection company going to pay for any item they don't to find during inspection that fails after purchase? An inspection of such a complicated item as an RV is important for folks not experienced in fixing things themselves, but I find many home inspections not worth much in finding real issues.

You might ask a knowledgable RV friend check it out and look for any questionable things that would make the pro inspection worth it. Repairing an RV can get very expensive very fast, missing things like a leaking roof, mold or rot, appliance or electrical issues, engine or transmission, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
srh

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sure you will get a goodly amount of feedback, but what I would like to offer is to see if a reasonable maintenance was done during current ownership. I would also suggest that the inspection should include getting ECM (Electronic Control Module for engine) report. Don't ask how I learned this. Yes, an inspection would be very worthy of your expenses.

All the best!
Old 08-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You said it yourself--you have never owned one and don't know much about them. Find a reputable inspector and pay for the inspection. Look for one that inspects big boats too--they are good at finding water leaks and damage and use moisture detectors as well. no one is perfect and they can't be expected to find everything that may be wrong but they have way more knowledge than you. Using a friend for an RV inspection is like using a friend for surgery or dental work--unless they happen to actually be a surgeon or dentist.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:13 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I wasn't suggesting a knowledgeable friend as a replacement for a formal inspection, just that a friend might detect an issue that would make the $900 fee unnecessary because of a problem that rejects the RV before doing a formal inspection. My son in Denver and my daughter in Australia both used home inspectors before purchase of homes, I found the inspections raising more questions than settling them. Failure to detect faulty wiring and other issues that where obvious to me were missed by the 'paid' inspectors in both cases. I've also seen it in yacht and RV inspections. Often a second party, only concerned for your purchase safety, can see things unemotionally and save you the money of a pro that might not catch things.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I wasn't suggesting a knowledgeable friend as a replacement for a formal inspection, just that a friend might detect an issue that would make the $900 fee unnecessary because of a problem that rejects the RV before doing a formal inspection. My son in Denver and my daughter in Australia both used home inspectors before purchase of homes, I found the inspections raising more questions than settling them. Failure to detect faulty wiring and other issues that where obvious to me were missed by the 'paid' inspectors in both cases. I've also seen it in yacht and RV inspections. Often a second party, only concerned for your purchase safety, can see things unemotionally and save you the money of a pro that might not catch things.
I'm not saying a friend or neighbor isn't "knowledgable" and they may have good advice, but they may not, and you get what you pay for. But inspectors are working for you, not the seller. There are good ones with lots of recommendations and no complaints and there are bad ones. i bought my used RV almost a year ago. I am anal, but this was my first RV and at 100 grand invested the cost of an inspection was not money wasted. If you are concerned about 1% to 2% of of your investment being worth it or not when you don't know anything about what your are buying then maybe investing in the RV is not a good idea for you. A new RV goes out of warranty after a year and lots can happen in that year if not taken care of. I'm just learning about what a hairline water leak on a skylight can do--even after being resealed by a reputable dealer. I apologize if you felt I was attacking you personally--I was just trying to inform the OP when in doubt pay for some reassurance.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
$900 seems quite high.
And just like regular home inspectors, they don't take anything apart to check.

But there are many things that could end up costing you money to fix.
I would call a RV dealer and see what they might charge for an inspection.
And they might apply some of that cost to the repair bill if you had them fix it.

Good luck,DAN
Old 08-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #8

When I purchased our RV last year I took it to an independent RV repair place that was recommended by several folks. A complete house and chassis inspection cost me $250 and took about 6 hours. $900 sounds like Mercedes Dealership pricing.

I am a fair wrench and I have owned 2 RVs prior to this one. I still think it was money well spent. They can look at it without their eyes being clouded with a desire for the RV. They uncovered a couple of very minor issues which I repaired. If they had uncovered any major issues, I would have walked away. It is important to first check the RV as much as you can or with a knowledgeable friend to eliminate the obvious stuff. That way you only spend the bucks on RVs that are worthy of consideration. Also, negotiate a price before you have the inspection. Once the seller knows you have invested your money, they often can be less flexible. If issues are found, you can then reopen the negotiations as you are working with a different set of facts. You will always have the option of walking away if you can't agree to who fixes what.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Buying a used Rv is a Gamble

Finding a good Inspector is a bigger Gamble

Ask the seller if he will take $1100 less without an inspection- if he does, you have saved $2000.

Remember: Winnebago only gives you a 1 year warranty-that means they are sure something will go wrong pretty quick.

PS- I own a 2014 View with 36K miles-nothing ever wrong with Coach- petty things wrong with Chasis-if no Check Engine lights are on- the Mercedes is fine.

Saving $2000 will give you a cushion. Spend that 2K to buy a warranty if you are faint of heart.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #10
Commercial Member

I think $900 is too high. I would question if he is a NRVIA certified member. If not use the "Find an Inspector" at the http://nrvia.org/ web site.

Remember, any cost or items found can help with the final decision and be negotiated in the final transaction. There are many unknowns and difficult to spot for even the experienced RVer.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 08-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
$900 is way too much. Have the house part inspected, it should cost less than $300. The rest of it is Sprinter chassis - it's 3 years old with 18k, probably hasn't had any maintenance, just plan on changing the fluids per specs. See the Mercedes (or Dodge) dealer and tell ask for an estimate... Fluids age by miles or by years, after 3 years it may need transmission and rear end fluid.... But you just saved $600.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #12

SRH. My husband is going to Detroit to pick up our first MH on Thursday. Should i ask the dealership for the ECM report ahead of time? Or can they run it for him on the spot. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:53 PM   #13

Thanks so much!!

Thanks so very much to all of you for great advice. I have found an reputable RV repair place who will do the coach inspection for less than $300 and I am also going to have a motor oil and transmission fluid analysis. The oil was just changed August 3rd by the owner so the motor oil analysis may not reveal much but since it only has 13,000 miles and looks very well cared for, I feel ok to move forward if these things check out . Hope to see you all out there 🚑!Much appreciated
Kate
Old 08-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #14

Good job Kate. I hope it all works out for you. Now let's go camping!

Tags
advice, purchase