Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #15

Mich, we have never run over a scale. We tow a small Ford C-max and can't tell a difference. We use Blue Ox tow equipment.

Since the kids grew up, we have become a lot lighter. Used to haul four to eight kids on every trip. That required a lot of extra weight and stuff.
I realize that some folks are more concerned about weight than others. How many people consider the load max for their cars? We are careful to try to distribute the weight so that there isn't a lot on the overhang area. That's the bedroom on our coach and the only things that ever ride on the bed are cameras.

Actually, the Sunseeker seems to handle better on the road than our previous class b sprinter camper. It was very top heavy and big trucks or a slight cross wind would almost send you to the shoulder.

Class As are very nice but just not what we wanted it needed. That's why there are do many options. Everyone has different preferences and needs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
From what I read on the internet, you and I must have 2 of the very few well handling, longer motor homes on the E450 platform.
I must admit that I haven't (and don't want to) pulled a toad, so perhaps mine could behave differently pulling a vehicle.
Out of curiosity have you ever run your unit over a scale ?
Make that 3. My E450 handles fine with no modifications. It's only 27' though. Steady as a rock on the highway. Typically I drive around 65/70 (unless it's a really long hill). My utility trailer with bikes weighs just under 2,000 pounds and when I'm pulling it I don't notice it's there. I don't have slides and have plenty of cargo carrying capacity left. It handles much better than my old B did at 19'.

Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekeepers View Post
Mich, we have never run over a scale. We tow a small Ford C-max and can't tell a difference. We use Blue Ox tow equipment.
The only reason I put mine on a scale (last Aug.) was because of all I've read about how many C's are at or over their GVWR. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount I have left over and can't imagine how I could even come close to the rating.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #18

I have owned 3 MH's. 1 class C (31ft. Sunseeker) and 2 class A gas (32 ft. Winnebago and 37 ft. Georgetown). The class C was the best handling and least stressful to drive of the three. Keep in mind that a MH, A or C, is not going to handle like a car, or even a truck.
I currently own the Georgetown and am strongly considering downsizing to a C. I really like the Forester 3011DS and Sunseeker 3010 DS floorplans.
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
Make that 3. My E450 handles fine with no modifications. It's only 27' though. Steady as a rock on the highway. Typically I drive around 65/70 (unless it's a really long hill). My utility trailer with bikes weighs just under 2,000 pounds and when I'm pulling it I don't notice it's there. I don't have slides and have plenty of cargo carrying capacity left. It handles much better than my old B did at 19'.
I personally get tired of reading blanket statements of how horribly the longer E450 motor homes handle. There are some people who seem to make it their mission in life to spread that "idea". Many of us have no problems with the stock set ups from Ford.
Something else to consider is that for the most part, most class C motor homes longer than 28' or so are going to be on a Ford, not on a Chevrolet. I attribute most of the problems people encounter to the MH builder and not to Ford. They are putting too long a house on too short a wheel base, or doing a lousy job with their weight distribution, or just making the units too heavy for the vehicle.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
For real, the Winnie has GOT TO be a better machine than the forest river.....
Have you owned either one and can you comment on your owner experience?

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #21

Ok, pulled the trigger today and bought a sunseeker 3110ds . Thanks to all that shared their thoughts. Can't wait to get out of
Wisconsin to some warmer weather.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ok! congratulations. I know just how excited you must be!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:37 PM   #23

Congratulations, hope you enjoy your motor home.