Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
A couple of points, first off, the parking isn't an issue, per se. The rack folds up vertically once in the bike is off of it. It only adds a little bit.

Second, the axle weight is an easy calc to do.;
Measure center of front wheel to center of back wheel (wheelbase, in inches, we'll call this "A").
Then measure center of back wheel to end of hitch (overhang, we'll call this "B").
Now, add weight of bike and rack (call it 400 lb. for this example, we'll call this "C").
Then add the wheelbase ("A") to the overhang ("B") and get "D".
Now, multiple ("C") times ("D") to get "E".
Now take "E" and divide by "A".

That number is the weight in pounds that is added to the rear axle.
Thanks for that math! It will be really fun to figure that out.

On the swivelwheel, I did notice that "selected models" flip up as you describe, but at first glance I didn't see any indication of which models those were. Upon further exploration, I see that model 46, which would be the one most suitable for my needs, is available with a flip up option as it turns out. I'll have to phone the company to get more information as to what parts I would need. I also see they include a winch in their product list but I am not sure what purpose the winch is designed to serve. I did see in the video of the model 46 that two men were flipping up the trailer. If it takes two people to do that then this trailer's too heavy for me unless the winch will serve that purpose. I'll have to do some more investigating. It looks like it would cost over $2000 if a winch is required. Still, it might be a good option for me. That would allow me to keep my 1000cc, 500 pound motorcycle and not have to buy a new smaller bike. On the other hand, the Yamaha XT 250 I'm considering would allow me to get off the beaten path for some nature photography that my big, heavy street bike would not permit.

One other consideration is total vehicle length as this would have some bearing on what roads I can travel. I say this is a newbie not knowing with any certainty what it would be like with one carrier versus another. I have in my mind a sign I passed when traveling over Sonora pass on highway 108 in California which read "vehicles over 25 feet not advised". I guess what I am saying is that the longer a vehicle is the fewer roads it can travel. How is vehicle length figured when towing a trailer? I mean, is a 25 foot vehicle with a 5 foot trailer equivalent to a 30 foot vehicle, or is it figured some other way?

Thank you, once again!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
Utility trailer?
I'm trying to keep the total length down. Any sort of trailer long enough to hold a motorcycle would probably add 8' and then there would also be the issues associated with backing up. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
We are able to lay our bicycle on the bed for travel. Very cost effective. Just have a good lock for when you are at the campground.
I've done this too but I don't like to. It's tricky getting the bicycle in and out and I'm certain to scratch my woodwork in so doing. Then, the bed needs to be covered with a tarp to keep it clean and pads need to be placed under the downward facing pedal and handlebar to keep the mattress from being damaged. I also don't want to have to move the bicycle, pads and tarp when I want to lie down to rest for a while. No, I want it outside, but thanks for the idea!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #18

OK, I've done a bit more research on the SwivelWheel trailers. The small one, the model 46 which is 4'x6' in size and would have plenty of capacity to haul my motorcycle but it won't fold up against the RV when not in use. That pretty much eliminates it in my mind as it would add 5' to my total length put me near 36' making travel more difficult and campsites of sufficient size harder to find. (As an aside I really only wanted a 25' RV but couldn't find one to suit my needs and budget, so I got the 30.5' rig I now have.)

Also, the least expensive SwivelWheel is $1500. A ramp would be additional. So, even if the model 46 did fold up against my rig it would be over $2,000 when a ramp and shipping are factored in.

Assuming the weight of my motorcycle and carrier won't be too great for the axle and other aspects of my rig--and as discussed previously they would seem to be fine--I think a motorcycle carrier such as the Rage Powersports AMC-400 should do. Delivered it would cost me $160. It would add maybe 2' to my rig's length, should be easily removed for stowing under the rig when camping or otherwise not needed, and the total weight of the motorcycle and ramp would be under 330#, well below the tongue weight specification of 500# for my hitch.

Assuming that's the way I go for the motorcycle, this still leaves me with the problem of transporting my bicycle, which is why I started this thread in the first place
Old 11-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #19

I did some quick math based on the specs shown on the Coachmen website. Based on the weights you gave and the size of your unit, I get 600 pounds as the additional rear axle weight you will add with this setup.

I would add a caution though, that 600 pounds is a STATIC load, I.E. with the RV parked. Hitting a bump at speed could result in "shock loading" far in excess of that.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #20

Quote:
I did some quick math based on the specs shown on the Coachmen website. Based on the weights you gave and the size of your unit, I get 600 pounds as the additional rear axle weight you will add with this setup.

I would add a caution though, that 600 pounds is a STATIC load, I.E. with the RV parked. Hitting a bump at speed could result in "shock loading" far in excess of that.
Darn... I knew I forgot something. I was out where my RV is stored today to take care of some things and I had intended to do the measurements and calculations you suggested but I forgot! Oh well... I'll be going back soon and can do them at that time. I'm curious... what numbers do you use in your calculations?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #21

Quote:

I've done the math now and come up with 534 pounds. With that weight along with my water tanks and storage I'll have to keep an eye on weight distribution and I should have the vehicle weighed to see how much weight is on each wheel. Sound right?

Oh, I did want to check where exactly I measure to on the hitch. I didn't quite understand your explanation. I measured to the very end of the receiver, the point rearmost. Was that right?

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #22

add a hitch to the front of the RV and carry one of them there. Storage would be the same as the rear if needed take it off.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvlaredo View Post
add a hitch to the front of the RV and carry one of them there. Storage would be the same as the rear if needed take it off.
Brilliant! Whooda thunk it? I never even knew hitches were available for the front of a RV. I'll definitely look into that!

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvlaredo View Post
OK... So I hauled my bicycle the 23 miles to where my RV is stored in order to estimate what it might be like to put a hitch on front and carry it there. Using a few cinder blocks I raised the bicycle off the ground to where I imagine it might be if placed on a carrier held by a hitch. Unfortunately, it seems that my bicycle would likely obstruct the headlights and turn signals.

In the attached photo it's the perspective--the distance from the camera to the bike and RV, as well as the angle from which the photo was taken--that makes it appear as if the handlebars rise above the windshield and that the bicycle is wider than the RV. Neither of these things are so, but the bicycle does in fact interfere with the headlights and turn signals.

How things might actually work out with a bicycle rack is difficult to tell since there are so many available, but it's hard to imagine that the headlights and turn signals will not be interfered with regardless of how high or low the bicycle is positioned.

Back to the drawing board, I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike in front on blocks.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	49483  
Old 11-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
A folding bike and/or just bringing it inside for ride might be an alternative.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
A folding bike and/or just bringing it inside for ride might be an alternative.
I think somebody else suggested a folding bike, so it's apparently a good suggestion

I'd prefer not to move the bicycle in and out, over and over again. It's difficult and I'm sure to scratch the woodwork. Plus, the only place to put it would seem to be on the bed and when I'm tired and want to lie down the last thing Im going to want to do is hassle moving a bicycle outside.

Thanks for your thoughts.