Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Need help locating water pump control relay

None of the three water pump switches in my Itasca Reyo 25Q will shut off the pump. I have reason to suspect the water pump control relay is to blame but I cannot locate it. One would think it would be near the pump under the bed but this does not appear to be the case. Does anyone have experience with this?
neovida is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2019, 01:04 AM   #2

Almost every water pump has the pressure switch attached to the pump. If the pump will not turn off when all the valves to sinks, etc. are closed then almost certainly the pressure switch is the problem. You will have to pull the pump. A simple ohm check across the switch leads should show the switch is closed. Quickest fix is a new pump, then repair the original and spare it out.
Akutan Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:18 AM   #3

Hi neovida,

I don't believe the on-board water pump utilizes any type of relay. The pump control switch located somewhere convenient, should directly kill the power to it. Our pump switch is located on control panel integrated into the stove hood.

I am a bit confused why you would have so many pump switches. Maybe you have a 3-way switch arrangement to have a pump switch near every faucet for convenience. If that is the case and your trouble has always existed, maybe the 3-way switches are wired incorrectly. If it once worked right but no longer, then maybe one of your 3-way pump switches has gone bad. Then replace them one at a time to fine the culprit.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You need a new latching relay. This is not a switch, per se, but a relay that is used to simplify multiple switch locations. And yes, they can fail. It is installed before the pump. If you have access to the area around the pump follow the wiring. You can also get schematics for your unit on Winnebago's website or give the Service Department a call. Have your VIN or serial number handy. Service can help you with the location and the part number you need to reorder.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
You need a new latching relay. This is not a switch, per se, but a relay that is used to simplify multiple switch locations. And yes, they can fail. It is installed before the pump.
I learn something new all the time.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #6

Good day neovida,
Not sure if you have found the problem, but let me add some additional information since my background is electrical engineering and some experience with RV water pumps.

1. The information thus provided is partially correct.

2. These pumps are wired in one of two ways - Either high side switching (i.e. +12 volts) or low side switching (ground). I am not sure how your manufacture decided to wire this.

3. The integrated pump switch does keep the pump running. But this only works when the pump is energized. If power or ground is removed, then the pump switch goes dead and will not keep the pump on.
4. There is not a 3 way switch used in these systems. They either use a ON/OFF switch or momentary type of switch where when pushing it closes the switch and releasing it opens it. This type of switch uses a controller where the controller "waits" for a closure to turn on then then again "waits" for closure of the switch to turn off.
5. Most manufactures mount the relay or electronic controller near the pump. Since you did not state you cannot find it, then I would assume the on/off switches are used.
6. This leads me to assume that maybe one of the switches are stuck closed. You will need to remove every switch and take on just one lead of the switch. If the pump goes off, then you are on the right track. But if the pump still stays on, then you have eliminated the switches. You have a short to ground (i.e. low side switching) on the pump.

7. If by removing one wire from all three switches and the pump goes off, then simply start by adding back a wire to each. If the pump stays off, then move onto the next switch. Add the wire. If the pump goes back on, then you have found the bad switch and replace it.
8. If you have a short to ground by eliminating the procedure of finding a bad switch, I cannot give any further assistance, since it could be anywhere in the system. It could be near the pump or somewhere else.

I hope that this "analysis" helps you to find the root cause problem.

Best Regards
Dutch Master
2008 Newmar KSDP
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #7

Wiring diagrams and installation drawings for Winnebago products are readily available online at the WBO website. They will show if there is a relay and where it is located. WBO far exceeds the rest of the industry in putting the wiring and plumbing drawings and such online free to anyone.

https://winnebagoind.com/service

Scroll down to self help tools, and the second row, far right, an electric plug symbol, click it and select the year and keep drilling down thru the menus. Newer drawings in some instance need a special reader. Most are PDF files.

Looking at the 2013 Reyo 25Q drawings, the Body 12v wiring diagrams shows multiple pump switches connected to a Water Pump Control, with a triangle 4 flag note next to it, which says See Manufacturers Diagram for further info, meaning go to the vendor information.

Do you have a pump switch on the ONE PLACE? and you have two other switches, and a pump drain switch outside also? I think the Water Pump Control, which is where these all come together is in the ONE PLACE, and there you will find your problem. You will need ONE PLACE service info to go further. This link may help you.

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...ntrol-RevE.pdf

The WBO install drawing shows only two wires going to the pump area, I suspect the pump control is located adjacent to or in the ONE PLACE panel, however it could be close to the pump.

Charles
Old 06-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I want to sincerely thank everyone who has participated in this thread. I am humbled by your willingness to help and your expertise on the subject.

I have accumulated some additional data related to this issue since my original post. I purchased this vehicle knowing that the water pump circuitry had some problems, so it has never worked as it should under my ownership.

When I first started to look at the problem I described in my original post I noticed that the two switches in the exterior water center and the bathroom were identical. Both have an embedded LED which presumably comes on when the switch is in the on position, but the LEDs never came on regardless of the switch position. I replaced one of them and the LED was now on all the time regardless of the position and it still did not shut off the pump. I replaced the second switch and the result was the same as the first switch.

In addition I have been in contact in recent days with a Winnebago Customer Service Representative via email who tells me that “there does not appear to be a relay for the water pump switches on this coach”, (as pointed by out by Ron Dittmer in his response to my thread) so I stand corrected on that subject. I have schematics, wiring diagrams, etc. specific to this coach which I found online and he included some in his response that I didn’t have. He further stated the following: “The switch on your monitor panel as well as the switch on the exterior of your coach both work through the main switch, which would be the one located in your bathroom”. He also recommended “starting at that central switch in the bathroom”. When I related my experience with the switches to him (which I included above) his response was “If possible I would remove the exterior switch from its location and compare the wiring on the back plug to that in the diagrams I sent you previously. From the sounds of it I believe that that switch may not be pinned correctly, and as I said previously the other switches work through that one”.

As you can see he stated that the bathroom switch is the main switch in his first response and that the exterior switch is the main switch in his second response. I did email him back asking him to confirm which is the main switch, but it was late in the day on a Friday so I’m still waiting for a response.

It is my guess that the bathroom switch is the main since it has eight wires connected to it and the exterior switch has five.

I did compare both switches to his diagrams and they match perfectly.
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }a:link { }
Old 07-01-2019, 07:38 AM   #9

Looking at the 2014 25Q, there are two different wiring installation diagrams. The correct one to use depends on what your serial number begins with. Anyway, one diagram shows a water pump control module while the other does not. If the OP's has it, could it be something screwy with the module?

Link to Winnebago,
https://winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm
Old 07-02-2019, 04:44 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Looking at the 2014 25Q, there are two different wiring installation diagrams. The correct one to use depends on what your serial number begins with. Anyway, one diagram shows a water pump control module while the other does not. If the OP's has it, could it be something screwy with the module?

Link to Winnebago,
https://winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm
Yes, and Winnebago Customer Service tells me that my RV is one of those which does not have a water pump control module.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:01 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
Hi neovida,

I don't believe the on-board water pump utilizes any type of relay. The pump control switch located somewhere convenient, should directly kill the power to it. Our pump switch is located on control panel integrated into the stove hood.

I am a bit confused why you would have so many pump switches. Maybe you have a 3-way switch arrangement to have a pump switch near every faucet for convenience. If that is the case and your trouble has always existed, maybe the 3-way switches are wired incorrectly. If it once worked right but no longer, then maybe one of your 3-way pump switches has gone bad. Then replace them one at a time to fine the culprit.

Ron,

As it turns out my water pump does not utilize any type of relay, and it does have multiple pump switches for convenience as you suggest. Two of the three switches have been replaced which did not solve the problem. The third switch is in a touch/LCD monitor panel which is the next device on my list to address.

Tags
cat, need help, water, water pump