Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Need help with heater igniter electrode for suburban furnace

Igniter electrode part number 231168 for suburban furnace in 1989 mini wini

The igniter works the first time when we turn on heater, but won't reignite until completely cold again. Have tried to get a replacement part, but looks as if they are completely out of production.

Any ideas, work-arounds? Or do we just need to buy a new furnace?

Danny and Priscilla

tangocil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Did you try to clean it, also the problem could be the limit switch or something on the circuit board.

Retired RV Technician
Travlin the West
Winnebago Outlook, Victory Vision, Silverado 3500, Dog ,Wife ( not in that order)
Bjsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
Originally Posted by Bjsrv
Did you try to clean it, also the problem could be the limit switch or something on the circuit board.
Good question, but yes we have tried to clean it .... Will investigate the other items. Thanks
Old 09-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Try Googling the furnace model for after market control units. I did for my water heater and found a very good unit made in Newport, Oregon. Available by mail or rv repair centers.
Watermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before you replace, check the spacing of the points on the ignightor electrode.

Last spring on my way north we had one cold night, Normally we heat with electric but "on the road" we have to use gas.. Next day I pulled the burner assembly out of the furnace and measured the gap at only 2x specification.

Now ... I've not yet had to re-set my water heater gap.. But there are indications I perhaps should.

Furnace at my parents stick house was flakey too.. Till I reset the gap.

Why they can't get it right at the factory.. I don't know.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Thanks for all the suggestions
Old 09-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
You can find parts for older RV's at Jim RV Center in Nichols New York. Google them, they have an online parts catalog.

Want to know what we're up to? Check out our website at My Trip Journal http://mytripjournal.com/11246
R1Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote

furnace, heater