Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Need help with window leaks

As the saying goes "a blind hog will find an acorn every now and then" and like that blind hog I accidently found this website. I have a 2000 Minnie Winnie DL 430V. Overall I have really enjoyed this coach. But recently the side windows on the cabover started leaking. I have made some temporary fixes to get me by but from what I understand the best method is to take windows out, clean them then put new butyl tape in place. Question is how difficult is it to take these windows out. These are the slide type and have several screws on the inside frame which I am guessing holds the outside frame in place. On the outside there are a couple of small screw or rivets midway on the top and bottom of the frame. Anyone got any answers I would appreciate it greatly.

John- 2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
catonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
catonine, first let me welcome you to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. You will find we are a group of fun loving RVers that like to help each other where we can so if you have a question, just ask. I hope that you will take the opportunity to post an introduction in the New Members Check-In section of the main forum.
Now to your leaking window. You have received good info on how to solve the problem. The window must come out. Cut any sealant around the outside parameter of the framing and wall. Remove the inside screws from he trim ring and with a helper you will need to push and pull till you get it out. You might try using a small pry bar and a putty knife under it to prevent wall damage and go slowly and carefully to get it started. A 5n1 tool (Larger putty knife looking tool) is very useful around RVs. You may find you will have to drive it (5n1) under the outside frame edge all the way around to cut the previous butyl or putty for easier removal without damaging the frame.
Clean off both surfaces and apply new butyl tape to the frame and set it back into place. Center window in hole and reinstall all screws through trim ring loose and tighten using a cross pattern from one side then the other, top then bottom until all are very snug. Be carefully not to break the heads off by over tightening. Trim off the excess butyl. This will continue to ooze out over the next couple of days so don't work about applying any sealant around the frame until this oozing has finished and you have trimmed off the excess again. Clean the parameter of the frame on the outside and apply a clear or matching silicone around the top and two sides of the frame. If you run into any problems, let us know and we can help.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
How's that for finding an acorn? There is a gazillion $'s worth of help in RV Wiard's one paragraph. Welcome to our group. Homer
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
I do appreciate the information. I dread taking those windows out but as soon as the weather clears up and rain is gone a few days, out they come. These little side windows are useless as tits on a boar hog, and for the life of me I dont understand putting them there in the first place. Another hole, is just another place for a possible leak. If I buy another Class C, it will NOT have these side windows or the front window on the cabover. Again thanks for the info.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
You might also make sure the drain or weep hole(s) on the window are not clogged with debris. If they are it will cause the water to back up and leak through the windows.
2009 Winnebago Adventurer 38 N
2004 Suzuki XL Toad
LHyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
I had checked the drain holes and they were all clear. I managed to get one window out between rains, get it cleaned of old sealant, put the new butyl tape on and get it re-installed. Since then it has pretty much been raining but that window does not leal. I jury rigged the other until I can get it out and repaired. Thanks to all for the advice.