Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #1

new battery dead,3 days old?

I installed a new 12 volt chassis battery on my Four winds 31F and 3 days later its dead. i bought this Four Winds 31 F in november and it hasnt left my driveway yet,IM PISSED!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maybe you installed it incorrectly, maybe it was dead to begin with, maybe everything was left on, do you want help or are you just venting?

Old 05-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #3

something must be drawing power. Start pulling fuses and replace and watch for a small spark to determine which circuit has a draw and track it down that way.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #4

Without a multimeter and a bit of checking, it is hard to know what the cause and effects are. Do you have a mains charger that you can make sure it is charged fully in the first place and then monitor the battery voltage to see what is happening.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #5

3 day till dead

Batteries don't go dead by them selves in three days. While it's true they do go down by them selves over a much longer time ( I think 10% per month?)
In three day you have some kind of draw on them.
I could be a variety of small draws or could be something that has failed and is drawing power--but if you're not actually living in the unit and have shut things off as best you can tell-- then you may have some sort of electrical mal-function.

Think as a earlier post suggested start to isolate every possible draw by pulling fuses till you find it. If you have a multimeter that has a amp meter function put that between each circuit and see if you can find where power draw is even though you have all lights etc off.
One last though-- maybe your charging system is not putting a charge back in your batteries. Think I'd check that first. I'm assuming since the rig is in your driveway it's hooked up to power, so it should be keeping the batteries up.

Hope I've helped a bit.
Loren
Old 05-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #6

A bad diode in the alternator will slowly drain the battery as well. If you can't find another source for the drain then have the alternator checked.
Does your "C" have a 12 volt switch by the door and was it turned off. There are lots of things that can have a parasitic draw;refrigerator, CO detectors, etc...
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
If it's parked without connected to shore power, that's what a battery disconnect switch is designed to prevent. Are you disconnecting your batteries or expecting them to put out energy without replenishing it? Unfortunately most disconnect switches still leave a few parasitic draws on the batteries. Either rewire to make a true disconnect or add solar panels or extension cord to keep the RV ready for use.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhett View Post
I installed a new 12 volt chassis battery on my Four winds 31F and 3 days later its dead. i bought this Four Winds 31 F in november and it hasnt left my driveway yet,IM PISSED!
mikhett
If your old battery held a charge and the new one doesn't, (and if the new one is connected correctly), I would suspect that the new battery is bad.
(That's unusual, but not impossible).

Take the battery out and take to a battery shop.
They will check it, fill it, charge it and load test it.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #9

Was the new battery fully charged when you installed it ? I see you posted in mid April about low voltage problems you had with the previous battery.
I managed to kill my engine battery a month or so ago, over maybe a 3 day period, by leaving the ignition switch on. That turned on switch also acted as a gateway to kill my house battery also. A stupid mistake on my part.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #10

OK.I bought RV in November.april 1 original battery was dead.I charged it up but 3-4 days later it was dead.I bought new battery 5/4 14.New battery is dead .the battery disconnect switch by the door is on disconnect.I had coach batteries on 120volt 20 amp house current for the last week.I will pull fuses and check with ammeter.thanks.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
With the RV on shore power, make sure you use a multimeter to check for charging voltage at the battery posts. It should be well above 13.6 v. If not, next, check if your converter/charger is getting power from shore cord. Hopefully just has an open fuse or circuit breaker (they're hidden along the side usually) If you read power from converter/charger, then perhaps your battery isolation switch is not really closing.

After installing the new battery, did you start the engine? (I.E. was it hooked up properly?) Once you get a charged battery in place and hooked up, take one terminal off the battery and hook ammeter in the gap. Read the meter, then start pulling fuses one by one to find the circuit with the high draw. If it doesn't show through the fuses, disconnect alternator to check for a bad diode drawing power down.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #12

alternator charge question

on my 2008 four winds chateau chevy 6.1 the alternator charge constanly measures 13.5 volts than 11.5 volts and i hear the
battery isolator clicking back and forth ( cycling) is this normal?Im measuring at the battery.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #13

If (and at 11.5 volts, the battery is for all intents and purposes dead ), the battery being charged is dead the alt may be trying to supply more power than the system will carry and an inline or internal circuit breaker is tripping. Hook up an external charger if possible to bring the batteries up to charge of 12.3 or more , and re-test , if the charge rate is stable with the batteries partially charged then you should be OK, but if the clicking and fluctuation still happen, you may have to replace the c/b , or whatever component is making the noise.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:29 PM   #14

Its a new battery

it measures 12.3 voltts but the clicking is coming from the battery isolator solenoid.My coach batterys aredead.gonna replace them(2 12 volt),tommorow.

Tags
alternator, battery, chassis, four winds