Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #15

Gulf Stream Model 5291B

I suggest that you might also want to look at the Gulf Stream B Touring Cruiser. We have a 2007 BT Cruiser Model 5291 with the Ford V-10 and are quite happy with it. We bought it new and had to take it back a couple of times for manufacturing repairs but, GS paid for everything and we're delighted with our RV.

The things we especially like about the Model 5291B (30 ft) are the opposing slides in the front with skylight atrium windows over the dinette and the tremendous amount of storage space in the bedroom. The shower is also large enough for a man to use.
We made four improvements that I would recommend anyone with a B+ make are: 1) replacing the Factory thermostat with a digital one ($30),
2) replace the 12v marine battery with two 6volt golf cart batteries,
3) replace the front CRT TV (about 80 lbs) with an LED LCD TV (10 lbs) and operates on 39 watts of power; less than a light bulb. This also frees up an enorous amount of space over the cab behind the LED LCD TV.
4) added a 3" foam topper to the rear bedroom innerspring mattress and we now sleep like babies.

Just google this model and take a look at the brochures and I believe you'll be interested in this model also.

Pete

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks Pete
Will do

Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
5291: Love the sky lights. That does add to the coach. Also the shower looks bigger than most I've seen. I'm 6'3". Might need the space.
Thanks again
Old 03-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
RV Consumers rates Born Free and Coach House Platinum as the top two class C RVs. Born Free manufactures models between 20 and 27 feet. The 20 or 22 foot models would be a great one for short, infrequent trips. They're well constructed, quality vehicles that have roll bars for safety, and a used one would be a very good choice. John Dodgen, founder and owner of the company told me nearly all of them since the time they first started building them are still on the road (except those involved in accidents, and none of those had any fatalities).

I probably sound biased--but after much research, I purchased a demonstrator model and have been very happy with it. When I needed a wire from my tow vehicle into the coach, the technician couldn't find any open spaces, and had to drill in order to thread wire through.

I haven't had a single problem and am very happy with Born Free.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
We (wife & I) are both retired/mid 60's wanting to get into the rv life. Would like to take weekend trips each month and possibily one long trip each year (2-3 weeks). We are looking at (and have driven) class B+ mh. Have looked at Jayco Melbourne 29D, Forest River Lexington 283ts w/GTS, Coachmen Concord 300ts. All have the about the same floor plan and added stuff with the same Ford V10 power plant. Other than price, they are about the same as best we can tell. Don't know if we should go the "used" route or "new". Which has the better record as far as workmanship, service, maintenance, support, etc.

Looking for any and all input we can get. This hold business is confusing to us recomers.
I can't recommend any brands of Class C or B RV's but keep an eye on PPL Motors in Houston, TX. They take in a lot of consignments and seem to have a good reputation.

Used RVs, Motorhomes, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes

Good luck in your search and congrats on your retirement from the Marines.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #20

We recently purchased a Coachmen Freelander and so far have been very satisfied with the quality and performance of the coach. I agree that if you look you can find a new coach at a significant discount, I don't have to look too hard to find used identical units listed for more than I paid for ours new.

Several things that attracted us the the Coachmen were:

> No carpet in 99% of the unit.... We really like the one piece flooring and it makes cleanup a breeze and we don't have to freak out if something spills or gets tracked in.

> No wood used in external construction... One issue that seems to frequently come up is leaks, rot, and de-lamination. IMHO the use of AZDEL Superlite constructed walls built on aluminum framing is a reasonable advantage in construction. It is not only impervious to moisture and critters/bugs, it is lighter than traditional wood construction which is a big issue with Class C coaches.

> Stability.... Coachmen RV division was purchased buy a Warrren Buffet company so they are well financed.

Problems so far:

> Hot water tank leak at one of the connections on the back side. Simply removing a cosmetic panel and tightening by hand resolved the issue.

> Making newbee mistakes, have you seen the movie RV???? LOL Nothing that bad but when you leave a bottle of wine on the counter when you drive off and it rolls under the front slide and the cork pops out and RED wine starts running across the floor it makes for an interesting event. Had to get a stick and poke the then empty bottle out from under the slide to get it out and clean up the mess. Thank goodness for no carpet!!!!!

> The one foot sewer hose that came with the unit was a joke! The roll of TP was about the only useful thing in the whole "starter" kit.... LOL

That's it everything else works perfect so far.

Last I have had the opportunity to winterize the unit several times myself after cold weather camping weekends. Also I have been under the unit running a toad break light LED. Everything behind the cabinets and underneath the chassis seems reasonably well constructed. Wires are run neatly, plumbing is installed with care, etc. I understand that is not the case with all manufactures.

That is our experience. Thank you for your SERVICE to our country!!!! Enjoy the retirement you have earned......
Old 03-10-2011, 06:27 AM   #21

Keep in mind, Warren Buffet is an investor, not an RV enthusiast, so his owning the major share of stock is no guarantee to future viability.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
We also looked at a Melbourne and liked it very much - the only downside we found is the B+'s have very little storage outside. We just purchased a Coachmen Freelander 21QB which has huge storage outside (under the queen bed). The unit is a bit smaller than we originally wanted, however, we did not want to tow a car, so we had to compromise on a few things. We found it is give and take - prioritize the options you would like and go from there.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks everyone for your input............. hope the gas price goes down soon. My only hangup.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Class B+

Any comments on a Phornix Crusier 2910?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
It was recommmended but is somewhat out of our $$ range.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Out of the 3 you mentioned, I'd go with the Jayco. I researched for several years before buying and we ALMOST bought a Jayco. I LOVE the Melbourne 29D! They are beautiful, but in the end we went with a barely-used Winnebago because of it being better for winter driving and we intend to be driving to Colorado for Christmas every year. Ours has dual pane windows, heated tanks, etc. The Jayco does not. Good luck with your decision!
Starfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
thanks for the insight
Old 03-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
While we don't have dual pane windows, we do have heated tanks in our Melbourne 29D.