Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Question New bee help

We (wife & I) are both retired/mid 60's wanting to get into the rv life. Would like to take weekend trips each month and possibily one long trip each year (2-3 weeks). We are looking at (and have driven) class B+ mh. Have looked at Jayco Melbourne 29D, Forest River Lexington 283ts w/GTS, Coachmen Concord 300ts. All have the about the same floor plan and added stuff with the same Ford V10 power plant. Other than price, they are about the same as best we can tell. Don't know if we should go the "used" route or "new". Which has the better record as far as workmanship, service, maintenance, support, etc.

Looking for any and all input we can get. This hold business is confusing to us recomers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are so many good buys right now on used Motorhomes I'm sure you could find a clean used one in your price range. It seems that if you buy new there are always problems to be fixed. If you do buy used, look into Good Sam extended service policy so that you are covered if something does go wrong. Also be sure the coach is what you really want and is comfotable for you to drive.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Smile

Thanks for your input.
USMC retired
Old 02-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #4

Choose carefully on used, but that is where the best buys are going to be. Also the first owner will have hopefully corrected all of the first year gremlins. You will save big $$ as the first year depreciation is horrendous.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #5

They are all nice, but I preferred the Forest River. Like the otherposters, if you can get one ayear or two old, you'll save money... Good luck.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We have an '08 Melbourne 29D and really like it. No major problems thus far, 3 1/2 years and 24k miles, but I can take care of the little stuff myself. We keep thinking we want an "A", but can't find one we like as well as ours. BTW, ours is selling used for about what we paid for it new, so I'd buy deeply discounted new.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Melbourne

First person who has said they owned a Melbourne. We are leaning in that direction. Anything you can add........ issues, problems, good things, items to look for, maintenance issues, etc. We are looking at a 29D.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's the down and dirty, and please understand that our view of the Melbourne is presented with owner's bias, i.e. we really like our motorhome. We purchased the Melbourne in Sep 2007 and have driven it over 24K miles. Our gas mileage, pulling a toad almost the entire 24K miles, has averaged about 9.5 MPG over the life of the vehicle; I'm a conservative driver. We have taken extensive trips to the Southwest, Yukon Territory and Alaska, and the Rio Grand Valley--the point being that we have driven over high mountains, through deserts, and on ordinary terrain. PROBLEMS: the taillight lenses were installed upside down, and on the opposite side of the vehicle; consequently, water filled the lens and shorted out the bulb, but it only took a few minutes to detect the problem and exchange the lenses. Also, we have broken the gray tank valve handle a couple of times, and again, it was an easy fix; I now carry and extra. We had mice problems one winter, but carefully filled all undesirable entrances with foam and steel wool, and use moth ball crystals liberally and have not had a repeat. Lastly, the front tires were wearing significantly on the inside, but a visit to a tire shop and corresponding adjustments (over an inch) took care of that problem. The cargo carrying capacity is small, so beware; however, we made the 81 day trip to Alaska with plenty of clothes and provisions, and were 60 pounds under capacity. The mattress only lasted a year, and we replaced it with a memory foam mattress, with square corners; the Melbourne mattress has rounded corners, and OEM bedspread had rounded corners. We don't mind the change in decor, and really like the new mattress. One annoyance is that IF YOU WANT THE AWNING DEPLOYED, you have to do it while the dining booth slide is IN. This can be a bit cumbersome if you deploy each day--the slide has to go in and out each time. We live in a rural area and it has been difficult, at best, to obtain even simple service like balancing tires, etc. Fortunately, I do all the minor maintenance myself. The Melbourne has a seemingly small footprint, but we are amazed when we go inside and open the slides. Many of our "older" friends with large MHs want to downsize and really comment positively about our MH when they come inside. It's big enough for two, dinner for 4 would be a bit tight. Again, please understand that this is written with a positive bias; we really like our Melbourne 29D!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #9

POINDEXTURE: Great review, specific, open minded, objective. I am not in the market for a coach right now, but if I was, I certainly would appreciate a review like you just made on a make and model.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Melbourne

Thanks for the frank review.
Do you have leveling jacks and are they really needed? They are expensive to add!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I do not have leveling jacks because of the limited CCC and the weight of the jacks is about 300 pounds; it is one feature we would like to have had, but just can't afford the 300 pounds. Instead, we use the plastic leveling blocks and try to find sites that are relative level. One thing I forgot to mention is the Melbourne is equipped with a black tank sprayer, which we really like for keeping the black tank somewhat clean.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks...... good information!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Any informaton on Concord 300ts? good, bad, & the hugly
Old 03-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club