Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #1

I just purchased a "C" for the first time. I've been camping for several years but always in a pop-up. I wanted a class C for more of the conveiniences, but didn't want to go to big so I could still get in the older and more mature corp and state parks. I purchased a 1996 Itasca Spirit 29". I didn't want to go that old but with only 10'000 miles this unit looks like it just rolled off the show room floor. My concern is the camper has not been used for 3 years but has been started at least once a month, both engine (454) and generator, and it's always been winterized. Beings I've never owned an RV, are there any concerns I should have? ie. Plumming, seals, electrical, generator etc. Any suggestion would be helpful.

Bummer, Liz & Sadie Girl

96 Itasca Spirit 29'

If you're not havin' fun
You ain't doin' it right.

Bummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #2

I just purchased a "C" for the first time. I've been camping for several years but always in a pop-up. I wanted a class C for more of the conveiniences, but didn't want to go to big so I could still get in the older and more mature corp and state parks. I purchased a 1996 Itasca Spirit 29". I didn't want to go that old but with only 10'000 miles this unit looks like it just rolled off the show room floor. My concern is the camper has not been used for 3 years but has been started at least once a month, both engine (454) and generator, and it's always been winterized. Beings I've never owned an RV, are there any concerns I should have? ie. Plumming, seals, electrical, generator etc. Any suggestion would be helpful.

Bummer, Liz & Sadie Girl

96 Itasca Spirit 29'

If you're not havin' fun
You ain't doin' it right.

Old 03-16-2006, 04:56 PM   #3

Bummer,
The first thing that comes to mind is how old are the tires? If they are the original tires, get rid of them. Tires are only good for 5 to 7 years, and if the rig hasn't been moved in three years you can bet they are a blowout waiting to happen. Check the DOT number stamped on one side of the tire: Before 2000 there was a 3 number code (the last digits of the DOT code), the first 2 numbers are the week and the last digit is the year; after 2000 they use a 4 digit code, first 2 is the week, the last 2 is the year.
An engine that is started up once a month without moving is not good news, sitting idling will not warm the oil up enough to evaporate the condensation that forms internally. Hopefully they changed the oil at least once a year. The transmission also will have moisture condensing in it. It is better to drive it about 20 miles to warm all the moving parts, other than that, it's better to let it sit.
Running the generator every month is good, as long as it is loaded up at least half way and run for at least 1/2 hour.
What I would suggest is to change all the fluids (oil, antifreeze, transmission, differential, brake fluid, etc.) and keep an eye out for new leaks. A vehicle that sits a long time will have seals that dry out, so just keep an eye out for these.
I don't mean to scare you off your new purchase, just give you some things to be aware of. I have a friend who bought a 1994 Tioga a couple of years ago with only 11,000 miles on it and, after changing tires, he hasn't had a bit of trouble with it. The tires looked new, but were 10 years old. When the tire dealer took them off he showed my friend 2 of them that had cracks on the inside, and told him he could of had a blowout any time!
Reading this over, I sound like gloom and doom , but I don't mean to be . I hope you don't have any trouble and enjoy it,
Loren
Old 03-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #4

Loren-congratulations on your class C. Our first coach was a C. After 2 yrs we sold it and bought a 32ft Bounder class A. We kept that for 2 yrs, and now we're going back to a class C again. Bought a left over 2005 FourWinds 28A. We like class C's . Easier to park,back in, get gas,etc. In the class A I always felt like I was driving the Queen Mary. C's are more fun!
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:56 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Bummer,WELCOME to iRV2!!

Looks like you're well on your way to getting some answers to your questions....

There are many different forums here which deal with the issues of rv'ing, make yourself at home!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:25 PM   #6

Thanks Loren for the good inputs. As for the tires, when the couple decided to sell the rig he put new tire on it. In fact I inherited the old tires and am not sure what to do with'um. I wouldn't feel right sellin' them being their as old as they are. Maybe someone can use them on an old farm truck or something.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:42 PM   #7

Bummer,
That is great news, if the previous owner was good enough to put new tires on it before selling it, he was probably good about the rest of the upkeep.
By the way, we spent a week in Springfield last September at a friend of ours, he is a surveyor for the city. You live in a nice part of the country.
Good luck,
Loren
Old 08-09-2006, 11:43 PM   #8
TLH

We bought a 1991 Born Free 24' last summer. In some ways it was much like your purchase. Had been sitting for awhile. We have had a leak in the transmission seal and just had that repaired and the transmission serviced. There is one more small leak that has to do with the oil but have been told to keep an eye on it but not to worry. The oil is clean. We will get a better report on that when we change it. Have fun. I'll try to write another time.
TLH is offline   Reply With Quote