Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-15-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
New class C owner/member!!!

MY LORD!!! Kudos to whomever keeps this site going!!! What a wealth of information!!!

Me and my wife purchased this summer our first motorhome - 1990 Starcraft 26' (IIRC) class C. It is on a Ford E350 11,000# chassis; 460 powered. It now has some 90k miles on it and absolutely love it. And what a step up from the tent/pop-up trailer we had!!!

We are looking to "modernize" it and update some of the technology in the coach such as, but not limited to, adding solar, "updated" interior lighting, and, after reading a few of the posts, possibly a better converter. We also are looking to add entertainment options such as radio and tv(s) and would like your guy's input on what you have done to your class C's. As far as our use intent, it will pretty much be doing everything from full-hookup RV parks to no hookups in the mountains of Utah.

Thanks in advance on your replies!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1775.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	139049  

ronaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2 and enjoy your "new" RV

Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
Nice looking rig I have a 1990 as well. Also our first motorhome.

Given the age, take a look at how the roof and side seals are. Mine are good, but the seals on the roof around vents and such are starting to crack, so I'm resealing before the snows come.

Maybe a full service. Check belts, hoses. I had the sparkplugs replaced (a pain to do yourself), new shocks and front brakes done (backs were OK).

Check the tires for age, replace if in doubt.

LED bulbs are a good investment if boondocking, especially if you're like me and only have one coach battery under the hood.

Other than that, use it as it's meant to be used and enjoy it, I'm sure you'll start to build your own lists of 'wants' after a few trips.

1990 Glendale Royal Classic
2005 Jeep TJ Rubicon
stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #4
As mentioned, all rubber components, belts, hoses, antifreeze, tires. Consider giving the brakes a through going thru including hose replacement. I good three stage converter will go a long way toward keeping your house batteries charge without cooking them. Units such as the Progressive Dynamics brand are the "hot" thing now. I installed one to replace the single stage in my MH. Also consider either a hardwire or portable electrical system protection device such as the Progressive Industries (two different companies with similar names) units that include surge protection, in addition to lo/hi voltage shutoff, lo/hi hertz shutoff, and denial of power if the hot/neutral/ground are not properly wires and connected. This will save you much money in the future, the first time you get a bad power connection. Plan on spending between $200 and $250 for each of these devices, both well worth the money, for peace of mind.

Also consider a full service on the transmission and installation of a deep aluminum pan, and temp gauge and external cooler. It will go a long way toward keeping your transmission in good working order.

2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome, yes, the information here is phenomenal!!

I recommend changing your light bulbs to LED! The lighting is much more pleasant and bulbs do not get hot!
2016 Minnie Winnie 25B
2014 Focus Titanium Hatchback toad
daisylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #7
From that picture posted, looks like it is much longer than 26' also seeing that side delamination I would start resealing the windows and all edges. Specially since winter is coming. And like mentioned sealing the roof items.

SDSam is offline   Reply With Quote

class c