RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #43

Canít really respond regarding jacks....the Class C which I owned was 28 feet and I never really needed them. I used leveling blocks and they did a good job.
A little unsolicited advice...think long and hard about the Jayco. A really good friend bought a Class C a year ago and has had it in his possession less than four months. The rest of the time it has been at the dealerís lot awaiting warranty repairs. As I understand it he is more of the rule than an exception.
Good luck on your selection!

2014 Tiffin Allegro
namvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #44

We looked at Jayco and noticed the inferior quality of the cabinetry. Are the cabinets solid wood? And, do they have residential recessed hinges, or surface-mounted hinges? We went through a new unit, and the salesperson opened a cabinet door only to have it pull loose from the cabinet, which was pressboard with vinyl cover. We also were told to buy small first ... you can go larger later. We ignored that advice as it is expensive to buy and trade in or sell new units - so go bigger up front. We bought the largest Class C we could find - a 31-foot. Bought the Thor Quantum. Came equipped with the jacks, inverter, dual batts, residential fridge/freezer/icemaker. All solid wood cabinets and recessed hinges. Comes on E450 with the Triton v-10. Had it two years - many trips. Love it. As with all new units, had our share of warranty fix-its, but nothing more than we read of other mfgs.

dlm1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #45

New Class C

Waiting to do our walk thru and pick up our Greyhawk. Now tell me what a caster is and what I need to know
Patchesmoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #46

Yes thatís about the right price
NeeNee33.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #47

Why New Class C ?

Not trying to be a wiseass,
but for the price of a new Class "C" you can likely get a smaller gently used class "A". Brand makes a big difference in quality reliability and depreciation.

Class "A"'s ride better and have a lot of advantages. Most 3 to 5 year old vehicles will cost much less than new and will have the bugs worked out.

You might want to do a little more homework.

If you have made the decision, good luck and welcome to the RV lifestyle.

Bob

2011 Newmar Bay Star 2901 towing 2016 Nissan Versa on ACME dolly
photobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchesmoma View Post
Waiting to do our walk thru and pick up our Greyhawk. Now tell me what a caster is and what I need to know
If you look earlier in this thread youíll see the factory (as found) alignment on our 2018 Greyhawk, came from Jayco with +4.5 caster.
Assume that a proper alignment is part of the J-Ride package.

You shouldnít need to do anything but drive it 👍
tbillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #49

We bought a 2017 Thor Quantum 31LFand it came with auto leveling which works well. We have two coach batteries and residential fridge. In addition, we have auto generator start so when the batteries get low the generator will start and recharge. Finally, we added solar to keep the batteries charged, I went with 100 watts to start but can add significantly more capacity if I like. I would also look at the water pump to see if it provides sufficient flow, most are pretty low volume. Get an external water filter as opposed to the internal one as it will do a much better job of filtering.
sbryant1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrarian View Post
I your new class C is on a Ford E450 chassis you may notice it is a chore to steer it down the road due to having to make constant steering corrections.

This is easily remedied by having the front end aligned.
Insist on maximum caster. ( one of the adjustable angles in the front end geometry)

Easy fix. Inherent in most new E450 machines.
This is totally an issue I noticed with my 07 Jayco Greyhawk 30H. Up until about 45 mph it drives perfect. When I get to hwy speeds it takes constant corrections to keep her straight. I'm going to get an oil change and will have them do an alignment with the max caster. Thank you!!!
Gootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:35 AM   #51

Fully loaded Class A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynep117 View Post
Hello everyone....
Hope you guys had a great Christmas, and a Happy New year.
Just to give a little update on where I am with our RV. We're looking to purchase our new RV- motorhome around early March- May of 019. With all the home work I have done, I thought I was pretty much pre-pared with our first RV ever. Until the other day!
When I found out some motorhomes, especially new? Don't come fully set up with auto leveling. For example, it looks like Jayco in paticualar only come PREPED on the lot, and you have to have the JACKS added. which will add around $4000 to the total price. IS this normal with most companies? And does that price sound accurate?
Please take the time to talk about that (anyone)-
And anything else I should know to make the unit ready for camping "besides" electrical connections/water hoses/ Sewer hoses, etc...

We're also considering, Winnebago, Coachman and Thor along with Jayco.

Thanks!
Here is a great coach with all the whistles and bells. Class A.

I have a Beaver 41.7 foot 4 slide coach. If you are interested. Fully Loaded with so many extras. Set up for fulltime with only 86000 miles has Cat engine. Will consider some trade.
https://www.rvt.com/rvdetail.php?id=7690487&preview=1
Anbocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:24 AM   #52

Not all class C mfg even offer auto level option because of the weight. In the Sprinter world at least. A good auto level system will add 3-400 lbs. when you consider the total "cargo" capacity is only 850-1100 lbs ( depends on model) the auto level system becomes too restrictive in terms of what you can take with you.

From a quality perspective, I looked at every class C available on a Sprinter chassis. Winnebago is light years ahead of everyone else in quality and attention to detail, pride in craftsmanship if you will. Tiffin was close but did not have a layout I really liked. Leisure Vans out of Canada builds a VERY nice quality unit but is limited in layout and is VERY expensive. I ended up with a Winnebago Navion D. I am sitting in it as I type this on our "maiden" voyage. 2 days out and 200 miles from home through driving wind and rain. Awesome handling( I just dont the see or feel what many people complain about there) and there are zero warranty issues with cosmetics. EVERY system and piece of equipment is working fantastic and as advertised. Tankless water heater is AWESOME!. I have not mastered the heads up computer yet but as near as I can tell, getting 14.2 mpg. I could not be happier with my very first MH!
DariusB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #53

kind of class c to buy

save your $ and let someone else take the new rv loss. find a nice slightly used born free class c and forget about it. in my almost 40 years of rv'ing i have never had jacks and have very, very seldom needed them. i carry one homemade wood ramp that has always worked. the new class c's are junk for a big price. please take my advice and do the research so you can find out for yourself. down the road if you find you can't live without jacks then the price is not going to be such a big deal. good luck
barthboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #54

We have a Thor Class C 2018 Chateau24F. Last fall we were on the roof crawling around and saw a stink bug on the dome type cover over the shower area. I had a bath towel and sort of snapped the bug with the towel. The cover cracked.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.
BillMcA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootz View Post
This is totally an issue I noticed with my 07 Jayco Greyhawk 30H. Up until about 45 mph it drives perfect. When I get to hwy speeds it takes constant corrections to keep her straight. I'm going to get an oil change and will have them do an alignment with the max caster. Thank you!!!
About alignments, 2kGeorgieBoy said it best:

Wandering at highway speeds

Reply Post by 2kGeorgieBoy
Re: Wandering at highway speeds
Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 09:07:02 PM

START QUOTE:
Jeff..Although we have a 2000 Georgie Boy 31' Maverick "C" on a Ford E450 chassis, I can fully agree on the caster effects, at least for us. When we got the unit in Jan 2014, the dealer had us take into a truck shop for an alignment. It turned out OK....A trip to Moab shortly there after brought out the problems. I then started reading the threads and comments here about the caster settings....esp., from Harvard. I checked the data from the first alignment and found that it was set at about 3 1/2 degrees positive...about in the middle of Ford's recommended range. Shortly before a cross country trip to Maryland in fall of 2016, I returned to the shop where the first alignment was done. I talked to the service manager and he knew of the problems with the E450's and was happy to increase the caster as I asked. The alignment tech was also familiar with it and ended up with settings close to 5.5 degrees positive. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The unit tracked straight down the road, passing semis no longer caused a white knuckle hold on the wheel, and overall it was just a lot more enjoyable. It did however increase steering effort a little but not anything to worry about. But, be sure that the shop you go to is willing to "think outside of the box". Our first alignment was "plain vanilla", right in the middle like it was always done. Second time out, they were very willing to increase settings beyond what normally would be done, and still stay with in Ford's guidelines (0-7 degrees, I believe). I realize that our E450 chassis is an entirely different animal than yours, but I was trying to add support to the caster increase thinking and how it helped us......if you go down that road.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #56

This post has been very informative . I have learned about the front-end alignedment and what is the best casters degrees for highway driving. I really enjoyed all of the input and answers.

Rbailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c