Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 10:02 AM   #1

New Generator install cost

We are looking at a used class C without a generator. I have spent a ton of time researching online and only can find Onan's available (permanent units) and the cost is much more than I anticipated.
Does anyone have a clue if other companies make Similar style units (at a more reasonable cost)?
A few years ago we had another brand in one of our class c's that we were very happy with although I don't recall what it was.
The cost of an Onan may be a deal breaker as it appears It may add at least 4K. (Generator,transfer etc.)
I gave a deposit that I most likely will loose if I walk however, not sure I can justify adding 4K (or more) to the unit (plus with a used "as is" unit anticipating possible other unknown issues). A generator is a must have for us.
Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 10:09 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ways, if your unit is generator prepped, the install should be relatively easy assuming the generator footprint is the same. Most either side out (if the bay is large enough) - or more typical on Class-C's - they get lifted up by a motorcycle or transmission type jack. It's a hard job for one person.

You'll need exhaust work (probably any exhaust shop). Fuel lines, and connection to the transfer switch.

"Option prices" for generators on new RVs are easily in the $5000-$6000 range for 30-50a units.

Generac made Onan-style generators for a while, I'm not sure if they do any more.

As an alternative that I've used on a Class-A (and a Class-C) in the south when the factory Onan didn't like the 105 degree heat over the highway, I installed a hitch carrier and simply strapped a generator to the back. Doing this, you can have a working generator setup for $500 or so (assuming a 30A generator like the Champion 3500). It'll buy you some time to find a good deal on an Onan. I actually ran our Jayco like this simply to keep hours off the Onan. The Champion 3500 would run 6+ hours or so on a tank of fuel. If you wanted to be a little more neighbor friendly, consider a Champion or Yamaha inverter generator, but you're then looking at $1000+.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #3

Thanks that is a great idea. We had almost talked ourselves out of the unit.

This option we can at least try out the unit for a bit and see if we want to drop the money into it, use without or sell and move on. We have had a similar unit and loved it.

I have a new generator we got for backup I think its a 3500 4200 peak? that may work for a time. Will have to check the AC specs on the MH. etc.
Plus after I read your post with a battery for the pump 12 volt lights etc. I could always add an additional battery to the unit for that stuff as well.

This one seems to be a decent deal compared to what is available out there. Used Class C rear beds 25'sh feet that aren't super old, leaky, etc. or or almost new $ seem to be hard to come by.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Ways, if your unit is generator prepped, the install should be relatively easy assuming the generator footprint is the same. Most either side out (if the bay is large enough) - or more typical on Class-C's - they get lifted up by a motorcycle or transmission type jack. It's a hard job for one person.

You'll need exhaust work (probably any exhaust shop). Fuel lines, and connection to the transfer switch.

"Option prices" for generators on new RVs are easily in the $5000-$6000 range for 30-50a units.

Generac made Onan-style generators for a while, I'm not sure if they do any more.

As an alternative that I've used on a Class-A (and a Class-C) in the south when the factory Onan didn't like the 105 degree heat over the highway, I installed a hitch carrier and simply strapped a generator to the back. Doing this, you can have a working generator setup for $500 or so (assuming a 30A generator like the Champion 3500). It'll buy you some time to find a good deal on an Onan. I actually ran our Jayco like this simply to keep hours off the Onan. The Champion 3500 would run 6+ hours or so on a tank of fuel. If you wanted to be a little more neighbor friendly, consider a Champion or Yamaha inverter generator, but you're then looking at $1000+.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, generators in RVs can be funky, I got burned buying a 5500 watt generator, but it was only like 22A at the 240V plug, so using one side of it that plug, you get 120V @ 22A = 2640 watts usable. It'll run a 240V welder just fine, but eventually blows the circuit breaker with running AC and the fridge, because those are only 120v.

Typically you want to look for a generator that has a 30A plug (assuming your rig is single AC) - most "home" generators are rated at 240V, which doesn't help you much if you're a 30A rig (120V).

I got more "useful" power out of the 3500 watt champion in a 30A configuration.

Likely your generator WILL run that AC, but perhaps nothing else - depending on how it is wired. If it's got a 30A plug, you're probably OK. It may be worth trying initially.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #5

Worst case buy another portable unit. Thanks for your help. I do believe it is all wired tomorrow I will find out.

Tags
generator, install