Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #1

New Grill for my Class C

Check out this new front grill I purchased for my Class C. Better air flow keeping my engine cooler and the added light bar is really going to help with night time driving. I will post pics as soon as I get it installed.
Mackmanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2018, 08:58 PM   #2

oops forgot to attach a picture of the grill so here it is. Direct fit application from MSC Truck Grills. They specialize in Class C motorhomes and SEMI trucks. They have a few pick up truck and UTV grills as well.Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views:	223
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	194895
Old 03-08-2018, 01:35 AM   #3

Be careful with the LED light bar. Many states including NC are banning their use on the roadways.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:33 AM   #4

Ditto on check with your local authorities. As someone who has been blinded by people who don't know how to turn them off when an oncoming vehicle approaches. I think they are annoying.....

A majority, if not all, of these units are not D.O.T. approved, so that should nip it in the bud right there. They probably come with paperwork that says for" off road use only." I think the limit is 4 white forward facing lights on a vehicle. These need to be covered when on the road....

They might be great on a dark entry road to a campsite or something of that sort. But I am fairly sure they are illegal on public roads...
Old 03-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #5

Respectfully agree with these comments. I don't think light bars have any upper beam cut off which I think is required by DOT / NHTSA (Nor do some of the driving lights that some people leave on all of the time).

And, 'annoying' can easily become unsafe if one is so blinded they loose situational awareness for even a few seconds.

This is not to pile on to the original poster, but some of the bright light misuse is getting out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrons31 View Post
Ditto on check with your local authorities. As someone who has been blinded by people who don't know how to turn them off when an oncoming vehicle approaches. I think they are annoying.....

A majority, if not all, of these units are not D.O.T. approved, so that should nip it in the bud right there. They probably come with paperwork that says for" off road use only." I think the limit is 4 white forward facing lights on a vehicle. These need to be covered when on the road....

They might be great on a dark entry road to a campsite or something of that sort. But I am fairly sure they are illegal on public roads...
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #6

I appreciate all the feedback guys. I know there are people out there that misuse light bars out on the highways and it can be very annoying. I purchased this grill not because of the light bar which was an option and MSC Custom Grills has the exact same grill without the light bar. I purchased the grill for the rugged look and obvious air flow gains. I like knowing that if I need the extra light it is there like when I am traveling through canyons and such I get great visibility for nocturnal animals that can ruin your day in a split second. Light bars are not for every body and you certainly have to be responsible when you use them.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #7

Weird... Google doesn't bring up MSC truck grilles for me.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #8

I think they only have a facebook page right now. From what I understand their website is under construction status, I found them through a friend.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #9

Update...............I checked with MSC Grills and I asked them about the light bars and told them about some of the comments from this thread and they told me there is an optional auto on / off module available for all grills sold with the light bar option. Not sure how it works but I was glad to know there is something available to remedy the issue you all have brought to my attention. I don't think I will do it now but if it becomes a problem I will definitely look at purchasing this module.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:01 PM   #10

Seems of late , last few years they have become lenient to these light bars .
Years ago when everybody put those KC lights roll bars and on front ends of pick-ups . Everyone wanted a big row of yellow clad KC lights smiling at everyone.
So the lights were most times covered.

In California off road lights must be covered while driving on a highway, as defined in section #24411 of the California Vehicle Code.

I found another article that talked about the light bars ;
Lights that need Covers
One of the reasons for the ticketing, is that ANY light above the headlights needs to be covered while on paved roads.

This means lights in grilles , pillar lights, roof racks, and even high-mounted work-lights have to have an accessory cover that makes it impossible to “flash” anyone while on the road.
Yet, the California rules are clear.

They will assume you are guilty if you can even conceivably flash somebody.

Your state laws may very..
OFDPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:28 AM   #11

The poster is going to use the light on the road no matter how many times we tell him that it is not approved for road use.

If they can rationalize purchasing an auto dimming switch, the intent for on road use is there.

Law enforcement has got better things to do. Which I am fine with.

Hopefully the switch works and limits other drivers from being affected by the operation of these lights....
Old 03-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #12

Legality varies by state. I'd wager most RV'ers are crossing state lines frequently.
If you feel the need for them, and prefer to be hassled less mount them below your headlights. Run a cover on them when off.
Aim them correctly, and make sure they stay that way, aiming down. Know that your RV might change it's stance when loaded with a trailer or you gear.
I'm not aware of any OEM that uses the big light bars. If you want that LED light, consider splitting the lighting power up into 2 different smaller lights.
Just know they are in a grey area of law, or outright illegal depending on your state.
Law enforcement is less likely to make an issue of it, if they are used properly and not an obvious safety hazard to oncoming traffic.
sachilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #13

Light bars are strictly for off road use...not to aid the blind while driving. If you need that much illumination to drive at night...you shouldn't be driving at night. A danger to everyone. Don't take it personal...just use common sense...which means...don't use them!
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #14

I really don't know what all the fuss is about the light bar with this grill? It's not like I am going to be driving down the interstate with traffic and have my light bar on. I like having the extra light when necessary. I don't plan on using it all the time. In fact I have a light bar on my truck and I rarely use it except when I am on a two lane highway and driving through a pitch black area and its usually late at night when there is very little traffic. I like to be able to see any obstructions in the road and get as much room to adjust as necessary. I live in an area with tons of deer and open range and don't want to collide with some animal if I can help it. It makes sense to me on the motorhome since the stopping distance is much greater than my truck or passenger car. I only wanted to share my enthusiasm about my new grill. The grill is really high quality and made in the USA. It comes with several different lighting options including driving lights, fog lights, or a combination of both, or a light bar, or no lights at all. The grill manufacturer offers many options to suit the needs for whomever wants one. Forget about the lights for a minute, this grill is amazing. The air flow is improved over the stock grill and it looks awesome. Sorry to all the 'haters' but if you don't like the lights then don't get one with the lights. There are idiots on the road that drive around with their high beams on all the time. You can't help those people. Bottom line, be responsible............PERIOD.

Tags
class c