Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #15
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I am buying a 2014 Leprechaun 290QB this coming Monday, 6/11/18.

As there are so few posts about Leprechauns. Without high jacking this thread I would like to know how one gets bleach into the fresh water tank? The unit I am buying has a “garden hose” connection to the fresh water tank o the outside. I have bought a ninety degree connector for it. But how do you put a measured amount bleach into the tank to sanitize it?

BTW the new rig is Chevy based and I drove it 300+ miles to and from my mechanic. Absolutely love how it handles on the road compared to the E350 I have now.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2018, 05:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
So today still playing. I decided to sanitize the fresh water system. Found the three valves one for the fresh water tank, but there are 3 valves !!! Don’t have a clue what the other two are for ! My kitchen sink drain does not empty ! It takes a long time not sure why? Will have that on my list when It goes back for something’s we noticed at time of delivery. We bought a couple utensil trays and cut them down to fit the tiny drawers. Thanks for that heads up!
Thinking the partition by the valves could be made to hang things—— maybe cords or ??? I like to keep things neat! I keep looking for improvement mods folks have done!
I noticed I will need extensions for the tires, and looking for a tire pressure monitor, and need the progressive 30amp protector. Looking for some ideas !
Look more closely at your wheels. My F450 came with the extensions but they aren’t obvious. You just need a good gage with two ports.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
I am buying a 2014 Leprechaun 290QB this coming Monday, 6/11/18.

As there are so few posts about Leprechauns. Without high jacking this thread I would like to know how one gets bleach into the fresh water tank? The unit I am buying has a “garden hose” connection to the fresh water tank o the outside. I have bought a ninety degree connector for it. But how do you put a measured amount bleach into the tank to sanitize it?

BTW the new rig is Chevy based and I drove it 300+ miles to and from my mechanic. Absolutely love how it handles on the road compared to the E350 I have now.
As I noted above, pour the bleach into the hose and then hook it to the RV.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks for the info! 8 mpg ? Is that towing ? My class a with 8.1 got 7, thought this would be at least 10 ! Hope it will get better as it breaks in.
My 2018 26DS on F 450 gets 8 with or without Jeep Patriot Toad. It can do worse with headwind and better with tailwind. Mountain passes don’t affect it: get back on the downhill what I lose on the uphill. I live in Idaho so get plenty of practice on mountain passes.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
The other two valves drain the hot and cold side piping. You need to open valves in sink etc. to drain. But don’t count on the draining. Either blow the pipes out or pump with antifreeze after draining. It only takes about a gallon. Be sure to drain and pump external shower.

I did a diagram of the system because it had me confused on how to add bleach etc. It needs sprucing but maybe will help.

If you call Coachman they are very helpful. They have a somewhat useful pdf on winterizing. They will also send you wiring diagrams etc. but IMHO they aren’t too usefull.

Ron Ross, Coachman 574-825-8602

PS: The way to add bleach is pour diluted bleach into hose before connecting.
Oh, and the hot water heater bypass valves are below the large drawer below the large cabinet. The drawer comes out with fiddling the things on the slides and you can reach down to find the bypass valves.

I take the plug out of the hot water heater to drain it before working the bypass valves and refilling the lines with antifreeze.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Thanks for the diagram that helps ! I am going tomorrow to get extensions to make life easier when checking tire pressures. Got plastic bens for storage, suprised basement has more room than I thought. Was hoping I could get the kitchen sink to drain? My driveway is on a slope and the front needs to come up about 4” to get it level . I’m picking up some ramps to get it level, then I can extend the slides and start the refer.I am hoping that’s why the sink is draining so slow. Our last MH had HWH levelers. That may be my next project? This one only extends to keep it stable . Please share pros and cons that’s how we learn !

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #21
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
LaryinID

I have had very good luck over the years with several cups of bleach in the gravity fed fresh water tank in the spring. Should I get a standalone filter and just fill it with bleach?

Never had a fresh water feed that was via a direct connection to the campground water hose. This is all new to me.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
LaryinID

I have had very good luck over the years with several cups of bleach in the gravity fed fresh water tank in the spring. Should I get a standalone filter and just fill it with bleach?

Never had a fresh water feed that was via a direct connection to the campground water hose. This is all new to me.
I poured the bleach into my white hose that was attached to the faucet. I then attached it to my fresh water connection on the rv to fill the FW tank. Then turned on external water to fill the tank. Then as the tank was filling using the fw pump I ran the water through all the faucets till I smelled the bleach. Let it set a couple hours then drained an refilled the tank flushed all faucets, now sanitized.
Ps I drained the hose so it would hold the bleach solution.
Your direct pouring would do the same thing. On this unit this is the only way I can get to the fw tank. Hope that helps.

Equinox Toad
Old 06-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #23
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Stearn

Thank you for your example. I will do something similar to that.

One other thing I question is when do you know when the fresh water tank is full? On all of my past campers the water would flow out of the gravity feed port.

On the 1014 Leprechaun how do you know when to shut off the water to the fresh water tank?
Old 06-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Stearn

Thank you for your example. I will do something similar to that.

One other thing I question is when do you know when the fresh water tank is full? On all of my past campers the water would flow out of the gravity feed port.

On the 1014 Leprechaun how do you know when to shut off the water to the fresh water tank?
We have a monitor that tells the levels . I just kept checking the monitor, when it read 2/3 Turned off the water. This is my first experience with Leprechaun so not sure what previous years have. I would think you will have something similar.

Equinox Toad
Old 06-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #25
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
LarryinID thanks for the drawing and phone number.

Stearn thanks for your help also.

Monday is going to be an interesting day for me.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #26

Quote:
We have a monitor that tells the levels . I just kept checking the monitor, when it read 2/3 Turned off the water. This is my first experience with Leprechaun so not sure what previous years have. I would think you will have something similar.
That is what I do too.

But there is an overfow so you can let it go to full if you want.

I really dislike their water fill arrangement. I much prefer gravity fill. Many places I fill do not have hose threads. I bought a slip on adapter for that.

And then they use a black connector for fresh water and white for black water. Where did they find the dyslexic idiot to specify that, and why haven’t they fixed it?
Old 06-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Thanks for the diagram that helps ! I am going tomorrow to get extensions to make life easier when checking tire pressures. Got plastic bens for storage, suprised basement has more room than I thought. Was hoping I could get the kitchen sink to drain? My driveway is on a slope and the front needs to come up about 4” to get it level . I’m picking up some ramps to get it level, then I can extend the slides and start the refer.I am hoping that’s why the sink is draining so slow. Our last MH had HWH levelers. That may be my next project? This one only extends to keep it stable . Please share pros and cons that’s how we learn !
I have had all kinds of RVs over 50 years. The 26DS is the first I have had with the hydraulic automatic levelers. FANTASTIC! Besides automating leveling they make the RV rock solid. No movement.

I’m fanatical on level for the fridge and slides. So it is the second thing I do when parking and last when leaving. The first is to plug it in (rarely for me) or start the generator so the jack and slide motors have full voltage.

My only concern with them is where they put them. They are away from the axels and hang down low. Some day I’m going to pull one off.

If the ground is too unlevel for the jack stroke I put some plastic blocks under the ones needed. The jacks will lift the wheels off the ground.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a bedroom mod you might like. Since my Leprechaun 26DS didn't have a bedroom window I could open, I did a modification to the emergency exit. I made two blocks that hold the window open and also hold the locking clips out of the way. The screen is self sticking velcro stapled to it. And yes It will knock right in case of an emergency. Sorry about the flipped pics......Bruce

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	206425

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	206426

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg