RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #1

New Motorhome Walk-through

Hi All,

We'll be picking up a new Minnie Winnie 22M in the next few weeks from a local dealer.

I have made a long laundry list of every possible functioning component I can think of and plan to test as many of these as I can before driving off the lot (refrig, AC, heater, lights, windows, power mirrors, TVs, generator, side-out, awning, etc).

My question is, is it reasonable for the dealer to indulge me while I check all these item? I'm guessing it could easily take well over 3-4 hours.

Also, I know there will be things not working that will need to be scheduled for repair after I take possession of the vehicle. What I am wondering is, is it reasonable to expect them to fix anything on the spot, and if so, what types of things? Most importantly, if I find something "major", should I consider delaying possession until it is fixed?

Finally, any specific testing techniques that I should perform for more sophisticated items? For instance, pressurized water hook-up testing, etc.

Thanks

Tesscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #2

It's reasonable to have a fully functioning rig when you drive off the lot. If they can't show that everything works, to your satisfaction, then I wouldn't sign the final check. I'd be going a couple of days early so they could turn on the fridge to show me that it gets and stays cold. When you get there and the batteries are dead and won't start the rig, I'd be asking for new batteries, not a jump start. Depending on how long the rig has been on their lot the batteries may have been dead for a month and will never recover.

The minute you drive off the lot and they have your purchase money, they have no incentive to fix your rig. Especially a "warranty" repair. You could be waiting literally months to get small items fixed. Don't sign the final check until it all works. The salesman wants his commission, the owner wants his profit, between the two they will "motivate" the repairman to get it done so they get money.

bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
The Only thing I can add at this time is.... BE SURE to view the perspective coach With ALL slides retracted First!...
IF you cannot fully use the coach and All it's facilities with the all slides retracted ... Think of all the places You "Might" want to stay a while at and cannot extend those slides for what ever reason...
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #4

Congrats. Picked up my 2019 Minnie Winnie 22r in January. Had a slight leak over the rear bed which was fixed under warranty. 5000 trouble free miles so far. I bought my 22r after my good friend bought the 22m. I would suggest you ask if you can see the owners manual and the "detailed" owners manual as it would be helpful to have to follow along with during your inservice and to take notes in the margins.......bob
MW22r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #5

To answer your question....yes....the dealer should absolutely provide you with whatever time you feel necessary, to test and inspect everything. Until you are totally satisfied. If they are not willing to do that, find another dealer.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:04 PM   #6

and do not forget to take it out on the highway for an extended trip of at least an hour. Carefully look for any wandering if it is a Ford Chassis, if so, it may need an alignment with more +caster.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
To answer your question....yes....the dealer should absolutely provide you with whatever time you feel necessary, to test and inspect everything. Until you are totally satisfied. If they are not willing to do that, find another dealer.
At the same time, 3 or 4 hours is a bit much on a rig of that size. I can't imagine it taking anywhere near that long and I'd bet a dealer might be wondering the same.

What I do like to do when shopping is to make my first visit after a good rainy day. This gives me the opportunity to discover any water leaking that might be occurring. It's also a good time to see if the batteries are ok and do a preliminary check of a rig I'm interested in.

Definitely good advice to inspect everything, inside and out, and NOT take delivery until completely satisfied. Don't fall for the "take it home today and we'll repair it later" jargon the salesman offers you.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:17 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
just my opinion but i would let the dealer know exactly what you expect to do before finalizing the deal and make sure they at least agree to that. Assuming they do, I would take all the time you need to make sure everything works to your satisfaction. You could even tell the salesperson, whoever, go get another sale, I will be here a while, and I will let you know what I find and when I'm ready to sign.

It's not wrong to take all the time you need nor is it wrong to respect their time and let then do their thing while you investigate. There is no way in heck that I would leave with any minor issue and sign on the dotted line. Agree with the previous posters, you will be a number once you pay for the coach.
Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
just my opinion but i would let the dealer know exactly what you expect to do before finalizing the deal and make sure they at least agree to that. Assuming they do, I would take all the time you need to make sure everything works to your satisfaction. You could even tell the salesperson, whoever, go get another sale, I will be here a while, and I will let you know what I find and when I'm ready to sign.

It's not wrong to take all the time you need nor is it wrong to respect their time and let then do their thing while you investigate. There is no way in heck that I would leave with any minor issue and sign on the dotted line. Agree with the previous posters, you will be a number once you pay for the coach.
Agreed. We took a full three days for the inspection on our new Class A.

In addition to what you've already mentioned, try to lightly tighten every screw. You'll likely find several that are stripped out. Outlet covers, cabinet hinges, pipe and wiring clamps, check every screw. Spend some time on your back and closely examine the undercarriage for stuff hanging down, leaking or improperly secured.

We almost missed this next one. We were so focused on the inside we forgot about the outside until the last day. We found some compartment doors that were scraping, where the locks did not really lock and several deep dings and scratches. Once you've driven off, any exterior defect will be presumed to have been caused by you.

Ray
Old 09-23-2019, 06:10 AM   #10

We have friends/neighbors who bought a new Minnie Winnie 22m a year ago. It has been at the dealer for the past two months.
I strongly urge you to crawl under and look at the cables that operate the knife valves for the grey and black tanks.
On theirs, the cables were too long, had too much slack, and they were not able to push the valves completely closed. Hence, constant sewage leakage and quite a mess at the dump station each time the sewer cap was removed.
This item alone was in for repair 3 times over the first year.

Plus slideout issues requiring repair. The outside storage compartments leak when driving in the rain. And the front fiberglass cap was also repainted due to inferior paint which faded within the first year.

It took a lot of complaining and a lot of patience to get Winnebago to address these issues. But, our friends were very persistent.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:17 PM   #11

Talking Check everything... twice!

Simply put, run every system, pump, bell and whistle in the coach. Does the shower and bathroom sink provide good pressure and hot water? How about the outdoor shower and the galley sink? Do the heated adjustable mirrors actually work. Check the stereo and or GPS/Navigation system? Can you see it clearly - operate it from behind the wheel easily?

How about the adjustable electric drivers seat, can you get comfortable? Does the street side slide block you from sliding or reclining back? Use a Hydrometer on all of the batteries, every cell should read up in the green consistently.

Check tire pressures - they should be based upon GVWR {you will be close to it with a 22' Class C} and the psi settings should be based upon the tire manufacturers psi/load tables for the load they will actually carry {Ignore the sticker in the door jamb}.

Run the furnace and after you have warmed up the entire coach run the AC and see how quickly it cools things back down. You should see a 20 degree differential from the outside {ambient} temperature. Roll out the awning {manual or electric}, is it smooth and relatively wrinkle free? Can it be easily adjusted to allow for rain run off?

How is your access to the spare tire {It does come with a spare tire right?} Are all of your storage bays keyed with the "751" generic keys {that you will need to replace/re key? Does it come with 2 key fobs?

As noted check the operation of the valves on the dump station plumbing. Put some water in the black and grey tanks and check for leaks. Fire off all of the burners on the stove/oven {yes there should be propane in the tank but check to verify and confirm how much}.

Check all of your lights both inside and out. Do the lights inside the closet come on automatically when the door is opened as they should? Do you have a decent location for your trash can? Is there a DC cigarette lighter power plug conveniently located in the coach {you will need at least one}.

A test drive was mentioned and this is just as important as the PDI. A MINIMUM of one hour on as wide a variety of road conditions/surfaces as possible {hopefully on a windy day}. Mandatory that you get out on an interstate - merge on and off a few ramps {try some short ones in particular} with traffic. What is the handling like when passed by large trucks at freeway speeds. Roll in and out of some tight driveways, gas stations etc... does anything drag or scrape?

Your new rig should ride, drive and handle very well right off of the showroom floor. If it doesn't it will not get one bit better without you spending a lot of money. Assuming the tires are properly inflated and the alignment is correct it should need absolutely nothing else and yes, a proper alignment is the responsibility of the selling dealer. If they don't agree "Run Forrest Run!"

Take your time and shooting lots of pics and video is a very good idea {there will be a lot to remember}. Ask the dealer to loan you the owners manual the night before your inspection and then spend a couple of hours going through it page by page... at least twice.

Every RV ever made regardless of cost or manufacturer will have some issues and you need to find as many of them as possible BEFORE you roll out of the dealership. If the dealership is not willing to cooperate on all of these items {and the many that I have missed} you are at the wrong dealership and they clearly don't want much less deserve your business.

Good luck and have fun with this critical get acquainted session with your new coach. With a little luck you will have years of enjoyment but it all flows from getting the PDI and test drive done well.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #12
NXR

And if you think it's wrong, even slightly, WRITE IT UP!

No, your expectations are not excessive. If it's not documented it did not happen. I put all of my write-ups in a Word doc with pictures, save it as a PDF, and email it to the dealer to maintain a documentation trail. The pictures prove what the condition was.

DO NOT rely on verbal assertions. You will regret it in the future when that small thing turns out to have an expensive underlying cause or when you get into a "The salesperson said ..." and the salesperson doesn't remember or doesn't work there any more.

If someone said they would do something, quote them in the write-up doc with the date and time of that conversation. They can always deny it but you now have that as a documented issue rather than something they claim you never mentioned.

Ray
Old 09-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

DO NOT rely on verbal assertions. You will regret it in the future when that small thing turns out to have an expensive underlying cause or when you get into a "The salesperson said ..." and the salesperson doesn't remember or doesn't work there any more.
This. I felt I was somewhat thorough, but like a fool I started to trust the salesman. It was my first RV, so I should've known better about a few things--not simply trust that I'd figure it out. My water heater was in bypass mode, so the camping trip that weekend was panicked as we tried to figure that out.

In addition to the things people listed--make them pair your phone to the radio. It's easy for them to screw up the radio install where it isn't Bluetooth-able, or where you can't plug your phone in. Mine was also weird with the mirrors--it would take a solid 30 seconds to swap camera views when you hit the blinker. It was some weird radio setting, but it was nerve-wracking as hell driving the thing around like that while I was trying to get used to the size of it.

I really hope you have the same luck as I've had with my 25B. I've had to do lots of upgrades, but almost 0 repairs.

Tags
motorhome