Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #15

I think, from what you've said regarding how/how much you'll be using it, that a diesel pusher is in your future. There's a lot of very good reasons to go that way, even though it may seem counter intuitive and a little overwhelming when first getting your feet wet. The more you know/learn about them, the better the idea will become.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lots of good advice already! We rented as well at first then bought a used class c. It was inexpensive enough that when we changed our minds after a few years and went to a new fifth wheel and diesel truck not much was lost. Eight years later we changed our minds again and have now purchased used motorhome. Long story short, if you are anything like us, the first rig you buy won't be your last. Life changes, you age, family requirements change etc.! Welcome and enjoy the decision process.

oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #17
srh

Monaco Owners Club
I would definite look at something like a jayco Seneca with a diesel engine. I did a lot of research before I bought my first coach - bought an 06 Seneca. Had it for five years and sold it with very little loss!.
All the best!
Old 06-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #18

I had a 30' Winnie Sightseer then went to my current 2007 Jayco Seneca. I love, Love, LOVE the truck platform for a whole slew of reasons. So now I'm retired, spending more time on the road, and looking to upgrade in the same class. What an eye opener! I want nothing less than my current 35' and I could go a few hundred more on the payment, but that's it. So the Chateau is out (too small), and so is the drop dead gorgeous Dynamax DynaQuest (left overs are over $300k). So I started looking at 2014 Seneca. Let me tell you, if you have an older Seneca, the new ones are a total disappointment. Gone are the roof vent and big windows. Gone is the free standing table. The coach sleeps 8 but only 1 person can comfortable sit at the table at one time for any meal or snack because the table is about 18" wide or less. gone are the recliniers (not in the chair or sofa!). GONE IS THE PASS THRU STORAGE! I called them to ask if I could get some substitutions (like a queen bed instead of king because I like having shelves by the bed and a little space) and the regional sales manager said they don't customize any more. They are being mass produced and you take them as they roll off the assembly line.

So does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the new Nexus Ghost? I might have to go back to an A. Can someone recommend a good full timing rig?
Eldora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #19

Hey SocioSam: I also recommend renting first to see if you like the lifestyle. There are things you need to learn, and the rental is a good classroom. Before committing to an added expense of payment (if financed) and insurance, registration, etc., you must be sure that you will enjoy the lifestyle. I got hooked after renting in 2003 and I'm on my 2nd unit looking to upgrade. I don't mind hooking up and breaking down, but for some it might seem like too much work. You also have to decide if you're more comfortable driving a truck or a bus (e.g. Chassis style A or C). Will you tow? Will you bring a lot of gear? As for some of your questions, some of it is personal choice. If its offered as an option, then you could probably do without it; but you need to find out if you want to and the rental will help you with that. As for used or new, I don't like anything used, but that's me. You will need to work the kinks out of either, but I like the security of the new warranty, and I don't want someone else's headaches.
Eldora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #20
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldora View Post
I had a 30' Winnie Sightseer then went to my current 2007 Jayco Seneca. I love, Love, LOVE the truck platform for a whole slew of reasons. So now I'm retired, spending more time on the road, and looking to upgrade in the same class. What an eye opener! I want nothing less than my current 35' and I could go a few hundred more on the payment, but that's it. So the Chateau is out (too small), and so is the drop dead gorgeous Dynamax DynaQuest (left overs are over $300k). So I started looking at 2014 Seneca. Let me tell you, if you have an older Seneca, the new ones are a total disappointment. Gone are the roof vent and big windows. Gone is the free standing table. The coach sleeps 8 but only 1 person can comfortable sit at the table at one time for any meal or snack because the table is about 18" wide or less. gone are the recliniers (not in the chair or sofa!). GONE IS THE PASS THRU STORAGE! I called them to ask if I could get some substitutions (like a queen bed instead of king because I like having shelves by the bed and a little space) and the regional sales manager said they don't customize any more. They are being mass produced and you take them as they roll off the assembly line.

So does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the new Nexus Ghost? I might have to go back to an A. Can someone recommend a good full timing rig?
No, I have not looked at newer Seneca's since I sold mine a couple of years ago. What a shame that they downgraded it!
What about a Tiffin Phaeton? You can find a pre-owned one. That was the coach I bought after I sold my Seneca. I bough it on eBay and really liked it. Keep in mind that Class A's drive a lot differently (nicer) than the Seneca especially if you get one with Independent Front Suspension (IFS), which I highly recommend. There are certainly a lot of coaches for sale out there - do your research, take your time, and you will find what you need!

All the best!
Old 06-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
No, I have not looked at newer Seneca's since I sold mine a couple of years ago. What a shame that they downgraded it!
What about a Tiffin Phaeton? You can find a pre-owned one. That was the coach I bought after I sold my Seneca. I bough it on eBay and really liked it. Keep in mind that Class A's drive a lot differently (nicer) than the Seneca especially if you get one with Independent Front Suspension (IFS), which I highly recommend. There are certainly a lot of coaches for sale out there - do your research, take your time, and you will find what you need!

All the best!
My friends just traded their Adventurer for a Phaeton... It's gorgeous but I don't know if it's in my budget. Yes, I'm taking my time and doing my homework. This could be the "one!"

« Question | Roof AC »