Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #15

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVee'r View Post
I think you have all your ducks in a row.... and you have a sound approach to your purchase. I can't tell you where to find a tech in the area you're looking, but maybe check with the truck repair centers and rv shops. I don't remember if you said what the chassis is, Ford, Chevy, etc. If you can at least make sure the running part of the rig is good, that's a big step. The house (rv)part you can at least check for proper functioning yourself, turn on the fridge, air, water, etc, etc. And also your tolerance for something that isn't working, and your flexibility to get around it, if so. Some people go nuts if the microwave doesn't work, others just break out the BBQ grill and go on enjoying their trip.

As mentioned before, water leaks are a biggie so look for water stains/damage.

You have all your repairmen lined up already; let's hope you rarely need them
Too funny only thing I require is water to run properly heating/ac work properly and a functioning coffe pot , shower and commode..
I hope the fridge is working when we get there I will think something odd if she doesn't have that on and working.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Which model? I have a 98 santara "c" model front lounge no fixed dinette

Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #17

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santara View Post
Which model? I have a 98 santara "c" model front lounge no fixed dinette

Didn't know they have models? Remember I am a newbie. Haha.
I do have a fixed dinnette table. I have a middle kitchen I only see a couch in the LR in the pics then I have a full queen bed in the rear with full bath and shower. It is a split bathroom. Lots of cabinets.
How is the 98 doing you?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We like it very much, not to many problems few tires, couple of eng coils, other then that all ok

In 98 they have diff models based on length 29 So Slideout 315 QB queen bed ours 304 FL frt loung ect ours is on a 450 chassie v 10
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #19

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santara View Post
We like it very much, not to many problems few tires, couple of eng coils, other then that all ok

In 98 they have diff models based on length 29 So Slideout 315 QB queen bed ours 304 FL frt loung ect ours is on a 450 chassie v 10
I am assuming I have v8? i guess i will go google it. haha i do have the vin i could call the company. i was also assuming a 350 chassis?

I guess i will go google it. i will let you know what i have.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #20

Georgie Boy Owners Club
V8 was right but it said 460. 28' Which I know I can drive. I had a full size 1994 Ford Van and I loved my van.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #21

Georgie Boy Owners Club
I am counting down. 20 days! Then I get to go on vacation! Fly down to FL pick up the RV and up the East Coast!Oh and since it is all a surprise for the Hubby he thinks we are headed to Branson Missouri to Table Rock Lake Ohhhh what a surprise he will have!
Old 10-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
I am assuming I have v8? i guess i will go google it. haha i do have the vin i could call the company. i was also assuming a 350 chassis?

I guess i will go google it. i will let you know what i have.
You have a V8, a V6 wouldn't pull that much weight. And if you have under 100k miles, you need not worry about replacing anything major powertrain related (like your engine or trans, not that either is very costly, give their age an availability). Just get your transmission flushed, and the rear end gear oil changed, and they will extend their life. What does it say on your steering wheel?? If it's a Ford, it's a 460 cubic inch V8 (which is big). If it's a Chev/GMC, it's likely a 350. They didn't put a 454 in class Cs in the 90s
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #23

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
You have a V8, a V6 wouldn't pull that much weight. And if you have under 100k miles, you need not worry about replacing anything major powertrain related (like your engine or trans, not that either is very costly, give their age an availability). Just get your transmission flushed, and the rear end gear oil changed, and they will extend their life. What does it say on your steering wheel?? If it's a Ford, it's a 460 cubic inch V8 (which is big). If it's a Chev/GMC, it's likely a 350. They didn't put a 454 in class Cs in the 90s
Ford 460.
I will take it straight to my guy when I get home and do the oil change and see if he can do th transmission flush and rear end gear oil changed. If not he will have to direct me to the right professional.

I can't thank you enough.. I loved my big conversion van and miss it dearly so I am really stoked about getting the RV!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
I am counting down. 20 days! Then I get to go on vacation! Fly down to FL pick up the RV and up the East Coast!Oh and since it is all a surprise for the Hubby he thinks we are headed to Branson Missouri to Table Rock Lake Ohhhh what a surprise he will have!
Yippee! I hope it all works out great for you. Let us know how it goes, and post up some pics of the new RV.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #25

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Yippee! I hope it all works out great for you. Let us know how it goes, and post up some pics of the new RV.
19 more days to go! I have pics the seller sent me but I will wait till I get mine taken.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #26

I wont go into our 1993 Class-C "horror" story and the bald-faced liar who sold it to us. If their lips are moving, assume they're lying or leaving out the truth.

My granny used to say, "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see."

Check the entire floor or soft or springy spots, especially in the bathroom and around doors, sinks, tubs and windows. Look for stains on the ceiling or a sagging ceiling. Notice any rodent, animal, moldy or dry rot odors. They worsen when it's humid and can mean rot in the walls/ceiling/floors. Check the numbers/dates on the tires. They can look great and be 10 yrs old. Push on the walls and where the awning is attached... are they spongy or soft, especially near the seams? Are the cubbys rotted out on the bottom? Go over it inch by inch by inch.

In any case I wish you luck and hope you found something better than we ended up with.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #27

Georgie Boy Owners Club
I am soo sorry you got a hold of a bad one. Yes I plan on removing my shoes and walking on the floor around and looking at the seams. Thanks to your advice I will also walk a double check around the shower and water areas!! I hope mine doesn't turn out to be a horror story too! I did see one listed at triple the price as to what I am paying for mine. Kinda scary. The guy I had in Northern Indiana looking at RVs for me said everyone he looked at had leakage issues. Everyone... Scary... I had one that the guy wanted to bring to me to look at but it was older then the 1993 and shorter a 22' so absolutely no extra room at all. I pray I did good. I am looking in that area to see if I can find me a person to go and inspect it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
I wont go into our 1993 Class-C "horror" story and the bald-faced liar who sold it to us. If their lips are moving, assume they're lying or leaving out the truth.

My granny used to say, "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see."

Check the entire floor or soft or springy spots, especially in the bathroom and around doors, sinks, tubs and windows. Look for stains on the ceiling or a sagging ceiling. Notice any rodent, animal, moldy or dry rot odors. They worsen when it's humid and can mean rot in the walls/ceiling/floors. Check the numbers/dates on the tires. They can look great and be 10 yrs old. Push on the walls and where the awning is attached... are they spongy or soft, especially near the seams? Are the cubbys rotted out on the bottom? Go over it inch by inch by inch.

In any case I wish you luck and hope you found something better than we ended up with.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #28

Georgie Boy Owners Club
I just received my email from the seller. She said my tires are checked out fine brakes are fine but the calipers are not releasing as fast as the brake man wanted but they are fine they are releasing and they are not heating up the brake pad etc yet . So as soon as I get home I will have that looked at by my man.

I guess I have to get my mechanic and tire man a list to go over and stay there while they look it over.
I trust noone!

Tags
purchase