Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
 
SarahW's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a lawnchair
Posts: 11,204
When I was new to the forum, I read a post by someone who said "There are two kinds of motorhomes. The ones that leak, and the ones that are going to leak." I nearly freaked out, haha. Maintenance is a HUGE deal with motorhomes.
__________________

__________________
.2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: indiana
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
When I was new to the forum, I read a post by someone who said "There are two kinds of motorhomes. The ones that leak, and the ones that are going to leak." I nearly freaked out, haha. Maintenance is a HUGE deal with motorhomes.
The first thing I am doing is getting the transmission flush and the gear case oil done then the calipers and then home to get the sealant to seal the top and wax the body I hope the weather will allow the wax? Kinda getting cooler here. Might have to pay a professional to pull it inside and wax it. Who am I Kidding I don't have time so I know I will.

I wish I had more time.
__________________

__________________
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Jon Mopar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 596
can't wait to see this bad boy...

sealing the roof is a pain, but you only have to re-do it every 2-3yrs. I'm in the process of doing ours, it hasn't been done in some time, so the caulking is starting to crack and get hard and brittle. I got a plastic caulk-remover tool, makes easy work of it. Only problem is I have almost 37ft to do....so I'm basically doing a bungalow haha
__________________
36ft Damon Intruder Class A - 37ft National Sea Breeze LX Class A
-Past RVs: 19ft Sportsman, 24ft Jayco, 30ft Coachmen Mirada. We had some good times.
"Im a car guy...you've been warned" lol
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: indiana
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
can't wait to see this bad boy...

sealing the roof is a pain, but you only have to re-do it every 2-3yrs. I'm in the process of doing ours, it hasn't been done in some time, so the caulking is starting to crack and get hard and brittle. I got a plastic caulk-remover tool, makes easy work of it. Only problem is I have almost 37ft to do....so I'm basically doing a bungalow haha
Thats what you get for buying a big boy.
Someone told me every year to seal it no?

I don't have a garage to garage it in so when it is parked I will buy a tarp and tarp it.
My garage is not tall enough.
__________________
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
RanCarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
I just received my email from the seller. She said my tires are checked out fine brakes are fine but the calipers are not releasing as fast as the brake man wanted but they are fine they are releasing and they are not heating up the brake pad etc yet . So as soon as I get home I will have that looked at by my man.
Scrutinize every inch with your man. And don't allow a gabby seller to distract you and him in your search for problems. We fell for that "distraction" thing they pull also... the lying seller kept distracting us and interrupting us and well,.. he was a professional at lying and selling. The only thing he was truthful about was the year of the Class-C and that it was a Ford.

BTW, LIFT any carpets or throw rugs in suspect areas and put all your weight on one foot where it was. When I lifted a throw carpet in front of the bathroom sink when we got it home, my foot went right through the rotted out floor.

Quote:
I guess I have to get my mechanic and tire man a list to go over and stay there while they look it over.
I trust noone!
I'm glad you don't trust anyone. Get the age of the tires, not just the depth of the thread and how good they look. 6 new tires for a Class-C will run you around $1,400.
__________________
Retired. RVing with one husband and five cats.
1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class-A. Ford V10.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Jon Mopar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
Thats what you get for buying a big boy.
Someone told me every year to seal it no?

I don't have a garage to garage it in so when it is parked I will buy a tarp and tarp it.
My garage is not tall enough.
Inspect it every year, re-seal as necessary....but you're usually good for at least 3yrs if you buy quality product.
__________________
36ft Damon Intruder Class A - 37ft National Sea Breeze LX Class A
-Past RVs: 19ft Sportsman, 24ft Jayco, 30ft Coachmen Mirada. We had some good times.
"Im a car guy...you've been warned" lol
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: indiana
Posts: 192
18 Days!!
__________________
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #36
Member
 
garytut&twooie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: motherload foothills east of Sac.Ca.
Posts: 92
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to garytut&twooie Send a message via Skype™ to garytut&twooie
Hey Fancy....You are buying your man a motorhome ?? Can you carry a golf bag or drive a golf cart.....Your man is one LUCKY DOG !!!!!
__________________
garytut&twooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: indiana
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Scrutinize every inch with your man. And don't allow a gabby seller to distract you and him in your search for problems. We fell for that "distraction" thing they pull also... the lying seller kept distracting us and interrupting us and well,.. he was a professional at lying and selling. The only thing he was truthful about was the year of the Class-C and that it was a Ford.

BTW, LIFT any carpets or throw rugs in suspect areas and put all your weight on one foot where it was. When I lifted a throw carpet in front of the bathroom sink when we got it home, my foot went right through the rotted out floor.



I'm glad you don't trust anyone. Get the age of the tires, not just the depth of the thread and how good they look. 6 new tires for a Class-C will run you around $1,400.
I plan on having the couple wait outside of the home while the interior is being inspected by me! Hubby can look outside if he wants and talk to the people. I am going to check by the windows the cab the sinks and showers and doorways very carefully. I like the lifting of the rug and standing on one foot. Thank you for that thought.

I am however going to stay very optimistic about the purchase haha. Worse case scenario is I have to buy a plane ticket home or drive home. Uggggg. Sooooo sad of a thought. Guess I better take my whole insurance policy with me if I have to rent something. Thanks!
I like to be prepared.
__________________
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: indiana
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
Inspect it every year, re-seal as necessary....but you're usually good for at least 3yrs if you buy quality product.
Whats a quality product? Who does this for you??? An RV medic??
__________________
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: indiana
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by garytut&twooie View Post
Hey Fancy....You are buying your man a motorhome ?? Can you carry a golf bag or drive a golf cart.....Your man is one LUCKY DOG !!!!!
If it has wheels I can drive it! Now whether or not I wish to is another thing.
But I do drive a lot when we are together because his job has him driving all day long.

I am stoked about this purchase!

Technically it is half mine half his! Haha...But yes I am buying it cash out right NO payments! Which makes it even better!

All we have to worry about is upkeep and gas and paying for a place to park it when we go out on vacation.
Already checked he is off the week after Thanksgiving. If he wants to stay close to home I found a State park to stay at. I want to go too Arizona somewhere warm so going to check that out next!

I want to get out and travel with my animals and enjoy the US!
Oh and with the hubby!

__________________
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: indiana
Posts: 192
17 More Days!!! I am soooo excited!! He still doesn't know! I did tell him he is flying had to tell him that.
He has never flown...I have for my job but he has not...

__________________
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
MattC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 459
Fancy,

I do truly hope this works out for you.
You have gotten a whole lot of very good responses here and none that I would disagree with. I also am more than a little skeptical, but I have know such things to work out well.

I recently went to look at a coach somewhat newer than that and I ended up advising the perspective buyer to either walk or run away (his choice). He kept reminding me that the deal was 4K below book value. So, I took a napkin and a borrowed pencil and added up what it was going to cost to make it into a reliable coach. Let's just say that 4K wasn't even close.

This from a guy that puts 5~6K miles on a 40yo coach every year and would do more if we could afford the fuel.

Matt
__________________
A lifelong waterman and his bride going dry places for as long as the fuel money lasts.
MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: indiana
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
Fancy,

I do truly hope this works out for you.
You have gotten a whole lot of very good responses here and none that I would disagree with. I also am more than a little skeptical, but I have know such things to work out well.

I recently went to look at a coach somewhat newer than that and I ended up advising the perspective buyer to either walk or run away (his choice). He kept reminding me that the deal was 4K below book value. So, I took a napkin and a borrowed pencil and added up what it was going to cost to make it into a reliable coach. Let's just say that 4K wasn't even close.

This from a guy that puts 5~6K miles on a 40yo coach every year and would do more if we could afford the fuel.

Matt
Oh I won't be afraid to keep my cash and walk away from the deal.
That being said I better get me a back up rental in spot too. Just in case. Don't want to be stuck down south with nothing...I will call the airport and see who is on the site. Worse case scenario is I have to buy a return ticket home from that airport and rent a vehicle. Should be no big deal. I hate always being ready for something but you have too now-a-days!
I have ran a carfax on it and all looks good. They really haven't driven it much at all. When they titled it the RV had 22500 miles on it and now it is at 40K miles. They purchased it in 98. I was concerned with it sitting in a RV Park all year round but they have owned their house since 1991. I did check it all out. You can find anything online. She said there is no leaks and have had no leaks. But as they say if it doesn't now it will if not taken care of.

I just hope all goes well and I have our RV for many years to come and it is an awesome RV us and the fur babies!

If not then I will be a looking again. My spouses cousin looked at a nice one a 1997 that I was interested in but the darn thing had leaked in the past soooo I backed out of that one... He liked it and said it was nice but it did have prior signs of leakage issues. They removed a floor and he asked why they had to fess up. It is hard to find a nice used RV that isn't trying to be sold for bigger bucks..
__________________

__________________
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
purchase



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.