Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #99

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations Fancy! Glad you made a safe trip and are happy with your purchase.

6 MPG at 65 MPH is not far off from normal. Hopefully a tune up will help a bit but don't expect miracles.

The water pump needs to be turned on (if you didn't already know!). Can you hear the pump run when it is on? It should make a "purring" sound. If it purrs but still no water then there is either a valve turned off so it can't pull water or the pump is bad.

Cruise control could be a fuse as well or a cracked/loose/missing vacuum hose.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #100

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Congratulations Fancy! Glad you made a safe trip and are happy with your purchase.

6 MPG at 65 MPH is not far off from normal. Hopefully a tune up will help a bit but don't expect miracles.

The water pump needs to be turned on (if you didn't already know!). Can you hear the pump run when it is on? It should make a "purring" sound. If it purrs but still no water then there is either a valve turned off so it can't pull water or the pump is bad.

Cruise control could be a fuse as well or a cracked/loose/missing vacuum hose.
hmmm. ok will check out the control panel. all i know how to do is start the gen.
What does those 4 other swithches do? i believe one says light.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #101

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Question for you. Why when I go down the mountains in D for drive do i have to give it gas to stay at 55 mph? When driving I have to push the gas pedal even going down hill or it slows down?. Are they just geared that low?. Remember my bleepin cruise control doesnt work very irrirating.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Yippee! Glad it went well, Fancy. What did your hubby think?? We need details and pics!!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #103

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Yippee! Glad it went well, Fancy. What did your hubby think?? We need details and pics!!
I told him our ride was waiting on us. so the woman picked us up and took us to where she had RV parked. He was totally shocked said he liked it. Later told me thank you and I was right he wouldnt of agreed with me and glad I did it. Haha. Stopped off in TN to see oldest son. He has akready scheduled it for tailgate party for Ohio.
Almost home. The heater has not been used nor the furnace since 1998. Both is working.
Question it is going to get down to 30 tonite up to 50 tomorrow. Am I ok to park it when we get home drain pipes tomorrow antifreeze etc.... Please RV folks tell me i will be ok i is one tired chicka.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #104

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Home sweet Home we made it. 900 and some miles. That is by RV! It had 39;392 miles on it when we pulled out.

Won't be doin that again so quick. We are going to go slow and easy from here on out.
I was a bit concerned of my sanity as we were headed down the mountains. Saw a vehicle that had just flipped and rolled.

Have a lot of cleaning to do tomorrow on the new RV. Gonna call Stanley steamers in to do the carpet and chairs and the couch. Toss out old mattress order new etc.etc. i have already cleaned with lysol all hard surfaces inside.
Winterize and schedule for tune up. Figure out the water pump. found the switch by the way. Thank you Nick! I have 2 water pump switches. 1 in bathroom by commode another on control panel. son and husband will have to figure out some electrical issues. One of which i found comical. i rolled down window and the headlights got brighter. not on high bright but they got brighter.
Off to sleep now. nite.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #105

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Emptied RV out filled it up put some stuff in the gas tank whatever the men in our family use sea foam or such they use it in their boats. Good grief...I have no clue.

Anywho the excitement is the levelers work All 4 are down right now while she is parked.
Bad news is the rear bumper is gonna need replaced asap. The awning man is coming by and measuring us out a nice canvas awning not vinyl. We need to get a different spare tire the one on it is useless. I believe I got me a good one folks! She made it home first trip was 900 miles not bad.

I am wore out.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #106

Yah, 6mpg sounds about right for us too, but we tow a trailer with my buggy & the kids quads on it.

Congrats!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #107

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did you determine it's a Ford 350 1 ton chassis with a 460 EFI. I'm not an expert on your coach but think it should do better than 6 and under no circumstance better than 10 mpg. I base this on years of experience with same chassis / engine on 1991 Airstream B van with plenty of boat under town. Granted you are longer and heavier but nothing behind you. We used to joke that it could get 10 highway/city and pulling stumps. It's a very strong set up. A little drify steering but that's a Ford thing IMO.

I'm going to let you send me $50 for this piece of advice - cause I find I value opinions I pay for over free advice. Before you start putting money into the house - get the engine - chassis - shocks - radiator - tires etc all checked out and up to snuff. The last thing you want is a fully remodeled - refreshed coach that is stranded in your driveway. I know you made it 900 miles and share your enthusiasm. But unless money is no object - make sure the rolling stock is rolling first as Motorhomes do not make good trailers.

Again - I and I know lots of others are breathing a sigh of relief and happiness for you.
Congrats - and don't forget to put that check in the mail.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #108

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Did you determine it's a Ford 350 1 ton chassis with a 460 EFI. I'm not an expert on your coach but think it should do better than 6 and under no circumstance better than 10 mpg. I base this on years of experience with same chassis / engine on 1991 Airstream B van with plenty of boat under town. Granted you are longer and heavier but nothing behind you. We used to joke that it could get 10 highway/city and pulling stumps. It's a very strong set up. A little drify steering but that's a Ford thing IMO.

I'm going to let you send me $50 for this piece of advice - cause I find I value opinions I pay for over free advice. Before you start putting money into the house - get the engine - chassis - shocks - radiator - tires etc all checked out and up to snuff. The last thing you want is a fully remodeled - refreshed coach that is stranded in your driveway. I know you made it 900 miles and share your enthusiasm. But unless money is no object - make sure the rolling stock is rolling first as Motorhomes do not make good trailers.

Again - I and I know lots of others are breathing a sigh of relief and happiness for you.
Radiator will be getting replaced per my husbands cousin. Haha its a thing he said needs to be done.
Oil change getting done along with a full check of the fluids and the motor and belts etc. etc.
I have no clue I just do what they say.
Oh and I guess I can't do math when tired. It was averaging right at 9 mpg. A little under it going thru the mountains. I was a bit expecting a bigger gas tank then the 25 gallon tank. Well we were at the 1/4 and it took 22.83 gallons so I figured it has a 25 gallon tank.
Oh and yes it is the 350 chasis with the 460 engine.
I had a 94 Ford Econoline Van and loved it. I miss my seats in the van. They were heated and had the message system. Loved it! I feel like I am going back in time when driving the RV. Haha. Yes a bit drifty. I like the duallys.
My husband had a question an for the life of me I can not remember what it was. I am still tired.
I have to find a good bumper and find a tow thing for the jeep now. Make sure I find a bike rack for my bike. I might get it together by spring.
We won't go to far from home now till after spring time. I figure I will be lucky to get one small trip in before we park it for winter. Have to take the girls camping.
Bummer....
I think the coolest thing is to be driving down the road and smelling fresh brew coffee perkin!!! Oh yeah...
Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #109

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

Oh and I told my husband I sometimes wonder about my sanity....Seriously buying that RV and driving it 900+ miles home is probably one of the most seriously questionable things I have done! haha.
One of many.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #110

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy

Oh and I told my husband I sometimes wonder about my sanity....Seriously buying that RV and driving it 900+ miles home is probably one of the most seriously questionable things I have done! haha.
One of many.
Hey - it looks like ya done good, you had a dream and followed it, you surprised your husband, he's cool with it - you always had a Plan B - no problem. You only live once!

And I thought you should be getting closer to 10 mpg. Nice job recalculating!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #111

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Where you been hiding? I know the grand adventure is behind you but keeping up with your experience has been an adventure for me and others.

How did the awning come out?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #112

Georgie Boy Owners Club
I am here. I had a reply all typed out then poof it went away.

Me see the awning. The awning guy hasn't gotten here to measure for me. We stopped off at an awning shop and the owner is going to stop by here and measure my RV for canvas awnings. Husband wants canvas and striped not vinyl. SOoo since we are taking the RV camping Black Friday I think I am going to duct tape the vinyl for now anyone else done this? I just can't see ordering it and getting it before we go camping this coming Friday. Oh well... And since we have to replace the 18' awning the 2 smaller ones will be done also.

Does anyone have those blinds that is on the vendor site here?? Not a bad price I didn't think about $60 each.
The carpet cleaaner won't be here till Dec 3rd. They will do the carpet and the bench seats and bucket seats and couch. Slow coming together.
Love it though and can't wait to take the girls camping.

I have posted a question about towing and such and mod moved it over to the toad section.
Hubby still likes it.Sooo I did good.
Now I just hope he gets out there and hikes with me. He has health issues and I need to get him more active to get healthier and I was really hoping he would move a bit more. He works hard on his job but doctor wants him to be more active when at home. You all know getting older gotta keep us in shape. Sooo my next step after hiking is to get him biking with me like we use to when the boys were younger. Not scootin with a scooter either a bicycle. He loves riding scooters and loves camping with his cousin becuase he rides their scooters. He wanted to get a motorcycle again but I kinda shot that down...Can't take the girls with us then. I guess they could ride in a side car...Haha..

Hubby said all he did at work when he got back to work was think of where we were going next.
He was hoping we would go to Branson MO but we don't have our tow system so that won't be happening till spring.

Tags
purchase