Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, you are correct on the size of the Ford shocks. But the internal design is different. The valving and tube designs are different. There is a world of difference between a stock Ford shock and a Monroe or a Bilstein.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #16
Get Bilsteins...you'll be amazed.

dobbler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #17
Bilsteins, Monroes, who really knows what the best shock to use really is. I've seen people on a couple different boards saying to use all Bilsteins, then someone will say the Bilsteins are to stiff for the front so use Monroes on front, Bilsteins on the rear. I think the general overall census is that either shock is better then the OEM. I'm changing mine this spring but I still haven't got a clue as to which brand I'll use.
#3and8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:25 AM   #18
I did change all 4 of mine to the Monroes. It did make a difference in smoothing out the ride in the front, very nice. But the rear is still a little rough. Maybe should have tried the Bilsteins?...... I am also looking for where to get Poly bushings for the stock rear sway bar. Anyone have any ideas?
Shadow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:49 AM   #19
Just wanted to pass on this discovery. I discovered that my gauge on my home compressor is reading low. I compared it with 3 other guages. So, I was over pressurizing all of my tires on all of my vehicles by 3-6 pounds. I released the pressure on all of my tires to the proper pressure and Viola what a difference! Took the motorhome out over Easter weekend and it rides awesome! So do the rest of my vehicles. Needless to say I will not go by that guage anymore. I am still impressed with the new Monroes, especially in the front. I also ordered the Hellwig rear sway bar. I will update you after intstallation and testing.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:37 AM   #20
Good to hear of your positive results.
Ordered my Monroes today. I found it difficult to get the proper part number. 2005's not listed by Monroe, yet. Anyway, I ordered Monroe RV shocks 555031 (front) and 555032 (rear). Hope it works out.
I was thinking about doing this myself until I read some comments on other boards ...think I'll let the pros handle this one.
Thanks for the post on your results, I'll pass along my comments as well.

UPDATE: Installed for $190. Ride is smoother, for sure, but a 15 mile trip from the shop is not much to go by. I'm looking forward to the next road trip.

Happy Trails,
Jayco Greyhawk 30 GS, '05

Maple & Maroon Interior
myway2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:29 AM   #21
Installed the new Hellwig sway bar this weekend. Not bad except, of course the factory holes in frame were not big enough. I did get to drive it back to the storage facility and it seems to have smoothed out the rear ride some more, not near as rough on the bumps. I will have to check it out more on a longer run later.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #22
I just picked up my rig today after having an alignment, Bilsteins, and a Safe T Plus installed. The ride on the Bilsteins is a stiffer ride, but not to the point where it rattles or teeth or anything like that. I was expecting worse, but the ride is good. I would suggest the Bilsteins because they have a better warranty than the Monroes and will save you money in the long run because you will replace the Monroes more often.

Lawman5383 is offline   Reply With Quote