Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2005, 06:44 AM   #1

When we bought our 31' it had Ford's OEM shocks - lousy ride and cornering. Replace front and back with Monroe Gas RV shocks ... got to say it made a big difference in both the ride and cornering.

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2005, 06:44 AM   #2

When we bought our 31' it had Ford's OEM shocks - lousy ride and cornering. Replace front and back with Monroe Gas RV shocks ... got to say it made a big difference in both the ride and cornering.

Andrea
Old 12-15-2005, 07:31 AM   #3

My 2001 coach has almost 100,000 miles and has the original Ford Shocks.... Sounds like I should replace them in the early spring.

Does Monrow make a specific shock for RV's?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:23 AM   #4

Hi Jade
Yes Monroe makes a specific RV shock designed for Class 'C' units. You can visit their website at
http://www.monroe.com/catalog_lookup..._selector&VG=2

Andrea
Old 12-27-2005, 02:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Can't hardly beat Monroe . . .
Old 03-01-2006, 06:06 AM   #6

I bought my Jayco with the ford E-450 last year.
It has 4,000 miles on it. Would I really notice a difference if I went with the Monroe Gas Magnum shocks? I can get them from Advance autoparts for $40.00 each. Fronts 34760 and rears 34761. Any watchouts doing the work myself?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:21 AM   #7

The biggest difference I noticed was cornering although the ride also improved according to my better half. Although side sway was not really that bad on the interstate it did seem to make a difference with the new shocks. All in all I'd say they were very much worth it.

Andrea
Old 03-02-2006, 11:48 AM   #8

Ed,
My wife has also complained about the ride being too "rough" meaning every seam, pothole or bump in the road seems more severe than it ought to be.
Question: Is this the kind of problem you were experiencing? Or was it a mushy ride with sway and excessive bounce. And, BTW, we are running very near the limit on CCC with 80 (rear) and 65 (front) psi in the tires.
Thanks

Maple & Maroon Interior
myway2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #9

My way,

This is what I'm hoping to help. It is a little rough over the bumps. I keep 65 in the fronts and between 75 to 80 in the rears. I have ordered the Monroes. Not a bad investment, the place I ordered them from gives a lifetime warranty. So I'm good to go with replacements if ever needed. I won't be able to get them installed for a couple weeks but I can let you know if they help. I did install the Monroes on my older motorhome and it made a huge difference in the handling and the bumps.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:16 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The rears are pretty easy to replace. The right front takes some work and the left front is a knuckle splitter and cusser. Would like to shoot the "Engineer" that designed that mount.

The Monroes will not soften the ride at all, nor will the Bilsteins. It is a truck chassis and rides like one. The shocks will greatly reduce the side to side rolling and help handling.

With the upgraded shocks you need to add heavier anti-roll bars and urethane bushings for a real improvement in handling. (Hellwig or IPD USA).

Ken
Old 03-03-2006, 06:04 AM   #11

All I can tell you is that my wife says the ride is much better without those jarring bumps all the time. I, honestly, don't feel that much difference, but then I've got a steering wheel to hold on to, etc.
I also run 65 front and 80 rear. This seemed to give the best ride.

Andrea
Old 03-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I had my class C, a 1999 Minnie Winnie DL, 31A, it was horrible to drive whne loaded to near capacity. It rolled side to side and required constant steering corrections. The first thing I did was to add Firestone Ride Rite air springs to the rear and the Air Lift springs to the front. This helped a little and did tame down the ride. Next I went to Bilstein shocks all around. A big improvment in ride control. last thing I did was the iPD anti-roll bars and urethane bushings. After all of this it drove like a dream. No more side to side roll or sway, behaved in corners and would track easily with only one hand...no more white knuckle driving. My wife noticed it on the very first demo ride I gave her after the add ons. She fussed about all of the cost, but said it was worth every penny afterwards.

For is woefully short on suspension on that chassi whe you hang a 31' box on it and load it down.

Ken
Old 03-08-2006, 06:33 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Prior to owning my Class A, I had 2 Class C's. 1997 4 winds 31' on the Ford Chassis went thru a set of front tires in 8K. A week after I bought it, I had it to the Ford dealer complaining about the handling. They said it was all to specs. So after replacing the tires, I installed Bilsteins all around. The handling was 100% better and traded it with the same tires at 70,000. However on some bad roads in Maine the ride was so rough that the CD player broke, dishes cracked and dogs were puking. I wound up with the Monroes on the back and the Bilsteins on the front. Bottom line, I felt the Bilstiens all around were overkill. That being said I made 2 trips coast to coast and got to experience all types of roads. Just my 2cents.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #14

I wa sjust looking through some of my original books and I have one from Ford for a 2005 Motorhome chassis. It say that it already has Gas charged 1-3/8 shocks. This is what the Monroes are also 1-3/8 gas charged. Is this the same for the '04. Maybe I should put that money towards another upgrade?