Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmoss View Post
You helped A LOT. Thanks a lot.

I am sorry but I am still very confused about a metal valve stem replacement. What borg valve stem do I need to install? Went to their website but not sure what I am looking for.

Anyone here with Itasca Navion(Winnebago View) who could be kind enough to direct me to the exact product?

And do I have to add TPMS system?
Call their toll free number and ask for Bill. He will be able to tell you which valve stems you need.

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
It appears you have a new Navion. At some point I would suggest getting a TPMS system, especially if you tow something. Right now I think you have other fish to fry and if your tires are new AND you check pressures before each trip (and do a visual inspection daily) you can probably hold off for a while. A good system is not inexpensive, and you want to research it first. Lots of opinions here on irv2 regarding TPMSystems.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #45

is having a plug-in voltage/polarity tester neccessary?
marmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #46

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
...and a partridge in a pear tree...
Nope, no room for that........
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #47

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
WOW! Evan if I really needed all these items, I do not have room in my 24.5 ft navion for half of these items.
We're 41' long and I DID leave a bunch of stuff off the list too. Like tools, patio mat, 100 # freezer in a storage bay full of food and ice cream, air compressor, extra sewer hose, wash bucket, soaps, wash mitt on extending pole.
And I still could go on!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #48

You are getting a lot of input. A little more than you need at this point.

JCO (Just Camp Out) for a couple of days, or more. See what you need. Make a list. Don't over-buy right now. This RV'ing can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by unca waldo View Post
Hi, I'm new to this site, though I've owned my motorhome since 2001.

One thing I discovered, in the short time I've been a member here is, the folks on the forum are more than happy to share their knowledge and advice... something not found on all sites.

I found that I ended up buying just about every trinket, geegaw, gizmo and doodad ever marketed to the motorhome crowd... then spent the next several years, divesting myself of all those double throw down, triple step over, custom gadgets I just "knew" were absolutely essential.

My suggestion is to pick up the basics, then take a few short trips to familiarize yourself with what you'll actually be needing.

I'm sure that what I carry has already been listed, so I won't repeat it all...

Try not to be too blown away by it all... it's so worth the steep learning curve when you can look out your window, at a million dollar view, not to mention the great folks you'll have the opportunity to meet.
Thanks for this info. I find myself wanting, needing every RV Do Dad that someone recommends. I think I'll follow your advice and cool my jets and see what unfolds as we get more and more familiar with RVing.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
It is as easy to install a 30 amp outlet as it is a standard 15/20 except that you use heavier wire.. NOTE: if You were installing a "Dedicated" outlet (That is an outlet that has a breaker that it, and only it, uses) for 120 volt 15 or 20 amp you would use a "Single" breaker and run the black wire from the breaker to the outlet's copper screw, White from the bus bar to the silverish screw and green (Or bare) from the ground bus to the green scrww

SAME HERE

If you hire it done and the electrician installs a dual ganged breaker such as you would use for a dryer or centeral air conditioner.. DO NOT PAY HIM. Make him do it right.

And do not plug in till you check the voltage (120 volts please no more than 125)

The rules according to Mr. Douglas (TV Show: Green Acres, note the attirbution is a joke but if you know the show you knwo the joke).

15 amp, (Standard house outlet with two straight slots) one big item, no more

20 amp (Standard home outlet with one straight and one "T" shaped) one big item and a few small ones

30 amp Two big items and most all your small ones

50 amp (You can not use this but if you had a 50 amp rig) All you can eat

Bit Items.. I'm reather enjoying my new Air Conditiner, Water heater, Space heater, Microwave and if the batteries are really hungry your converter MAY be a big item.

Small items are TV, Radio, converter if batteries full,

Fridge is kind of an In-between, I would run it on propane if I had the A/C on and was on 15 amp. but I'd let it run on electric if on 20.

(I had an air conditioner go bad, We just replaced the upper part with another make,, Yes, I know that is not possible.. but if you have what I had (Carrier Air V non-heat pump ducted) then Advent makes a kit that does it.

Beats changing what's in the ceiling.
You are correct in that it is easy to install a 30amp connection at home. It is also easy to do it wrong. When I had mine done by a certified licensed electrician I printed this out http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf and gave it to him. This is the correct way it should be done. If done incorrectly you could have very bad problems when you plug your RV in. Most electricians who are not familiar with RV electronics will just do a "dryer" installation and it would be wrong.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Call their toll free number and ask for Bill. He will be able to tell you which valve stems you need.

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

Jon
X2 on this, You beat me to it but it would have been exactly what I would have said.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
You helped A LOT. Thanks a lot.

I am sorry but I am still very confused about a metal valve stem replacement. What borg valve stem do I need to install? Went to their website but not sure what I am looking for.

Anyone here with Itasca Navion(Winnebago View) who could be kind enough to direct me to the exact product?

Hi marmoss,
A TPMS is a nice to have item and not really a required to have item. I do have one but I had the Cambria for a little over a year before I bought it. This is something that constantly monitors the tire pressure and temperature (on the better models) and will sound a warning if there is a problem.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
Thanks for this info. I find myself wanting, needing every RV Do Dad that someone recommends. I think I'll follow your advice and cool my jets and see what unfolds as we get more and more familiar with RVing.
Hi Jim,
Good advice. The only things you absolutely need are a way to connect safely to electric, water, and sewer. Just about everything else are comfort and convenience items. The best advice we got after the absolutes were taken care of was to driveway camp or camp close buy for the first few trips. If we found we needed something we wrote it down or if a Walmart was close by went and got it. After a year or so we are now fully stocked and ready to go with just an hour or two prep time.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmoss
I feel smarter and smarter after reading each one of your responses. So happy I found this forum. Cannot believe that so many of you are willing to share your knowledge.

Thank you again,

marysia
First and foremost, welcome, and congratulations! You will find out sooner than later that you have joined a superb group of people! RVing is not a hobby, it's a lifestyle, and EVERYONE that has adopted the lifestyle will be more than happy to give you advice and point you in the right direction.
Good luck and HAPPY RVing!
Tourbustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I got my Itasca Navion iQ 24G in early May and am completely new to RVing. Have found this site a blessing in getting useful and important information. I think you've gotten most of your questions answered. Not sure if you found space for your chairs yet. I keep mine in the right side of the back storage under the back window. Just keep reading as many posts here as you can and you will learn so much. It's become my daily reading.

Sandi
Old 08-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #56

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
One of the things I have discovered is that many of the things we need in our RV are sold at your local Wal-Mart. The prices of things at the RV dealership are greatly inflated. I can get 1 roll of single ply RV/Boat Toilet paper at the dealership for more than it cost to get 4 rolls two ply RV/Boat Toilet paper at Wal-Mart. They also have hoses and adapters and all that stuff… I went to Lowes and got the exact same name brand inline hose filter for less than half the price at the RV store.

Don’t get me wrong there are some things you will have to get from the RV store like your rubber roof cleaner and UV guard and a few other products but you can find most of the other stuff in the RV section at your local Wal-Mart.

Happy motoring!
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote