Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #57

I have got all essentials I need for now: all hoses, extension cord, and surge protector.

I am still completely lost about connecting my RV to my house. It is almost impossible to get electrician to my house to install dedicated 30amp outlet since we live in the middle of nowhere. And I still have no idea if I can connect without it. So, I guess it will have to wait.

We will be leaving for one week in Colorado mountains in one week. Will be dry camping. I cannot wait.

Thanks again for your support. Not sure what I would do without it.

marysia

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmoss View Post
I am still completely lost about connecting my RV to my house. It is almost impossible to get electrician to my house to install dedicated 30amp outlet since we live in the middle of nowhere. And I still have no idea if I can connect without it. So, I guess it will have to wait.

There's no problem connecting your coach to your house 15/20 amp outlet if you have the plug adapters. You just won't be able to run any big power hogs like the AC, microwave, electric water heater, etc.

We're currently in the middle of a month we spend each year in SW Minnesota at my father in law's place. I have to get by with only a 15 amp connection for my 40DP. I put the fridge and water heater running on propane and don't use any large appliances.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #59

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I have got all essentials I need for now: all hoses, extension cord, and surge protector.

We will be leaving for one week in Colorado mountains in one week. Will be dry camping. I cannot wait.

marysia
Marysia,

If you refer back to item #3 in MY POST, those two adapters will allow you to plug your coach into a standard 15A outlet at your house. As Rick said, you'll be limited as to what you can run, but it'll get you powered up. I can run one AC on 15A.

When you do get an electrician to your house, MAKE DOUBLY SURE he knows how to wire an RV outlet. The plug looks very similar to a standard dryer plug. If he wires it for a dryer, it will FRY your coach's electronics.

It is a SINGLE PHASE, 30A, 120V outlet.

I can't remember if you said yours was a 50A coach. If you're having an electrician out anyway, get him to install a 50A receptical for you.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #60

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemaz View Post
US Too! Taking delivery Saturday on a 2012 Jayco Greyhawk... The learning curve begins soon! Be Safe.... Enjoy, we will!!
welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. We are Greyhawk (2011) owners as well. We love our coach! If you haven't already.... go to the jayco owners forum and join that site. It's not as active as IRV2 but alot of good information there specifically for your coach. The DW & I go by Kave&Lucky over there. See ya round the campfire.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #61

I'd add my .02 but probably just repeating what others have said.
After a couple of seasons, you'll start to get comfortable. Keep a separate house in your rig, and loading/unloading gets real easy. Food and clothes is about what we concern ourselves with now.
Extra water hoses, electric ext cord and sewer is always helpful when those unknown campsites have their utilities farther away.

Most of all, don't be shy. Talk to your camping neighbors as most are very willing to help. Trust me, I've asked for help many times with my tail between my legs.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #62

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Are these statements correct?
S 1. I should not connect to house electricity without having 30 amp outlet. How difficult is to install 30 amp outlet?

C1: no, with the proper adapter you can plug into a standard 15 or 20 amp house outlet, Just do not expect to run everything in the RV, in fact for the first few hours don't expect to run anything more than TV or Lights (Just how long depends on many things) after a few hours you can try one of the following

Water heater
Microwave
Air conditioner

If it is a 20 amp circuit,,, ON a 15 you can run the fridge on electric but I'd avoid the other items I mentioned.

S2. I cannot fill water tank without pressure reducer. Can I connect to house water system after I put pressure reducer?

C2: It is called a regulator and fill the water tank is the one thing you CAN do without one.. That and flush the black tank if it has a built in flusher.

Many parks have excessive pressure. The one where I'm at now does not, but I've seen with my own eyes pressure gauges hit 120PSI, if all you are doing is filling the tank that is not a problem but if you shut off the flow of water at that pressure anywere OTHER THAN the park's water valve, you may blow your hose, not to mention fittings inside the RV.

I use a Watts whole-house job set to about 50 PSI here. for feeding "City Water" to the RV.

Do I need:

Q1. to replace the original batteries or add more batteries?

Replace: Eventually (years from now)0, Add, Only time will tell, Depends on how you camp

Q2. buy leveling blocks/wheel chocks?

Most folks use lumbar (2x6 or 2x8 depending on width of tires, I think I'm using 2x10) for leveling, Wheel chocks, Depends on how much you trust the parking brake. Also, if your rig has leveling jacks, they reduce or eliminate the need for leveling blocks.

Q3. buy another water hose(beside water houses)? why do I need it?

Many carry spare hoses. I have two "Long" hoses (i think 15 or 20 feet) plus some shorter hoses I have picked up over time, Normally I use one hose in the summer and the other in the winter but on some sites I need to string them together in order to reach,, Why one wnter, it has a string of rope lights duct taped to it to help keep it from freezing at night, If temps get too low it lights up nice and colorful. Oh they sell heated hose for some god auful price like 150 bucks for 20 feet. Forget that

Q4. buy extension cord? 50 feet? Why do I need it? Is it some special extension cord? I would recommend one 25' 30 or 50 (Depending on what your rig is) amp RV extension cord, yes it is special, Why do you need it, Just like I sometimes need to add hose to reach the water, I sometimes need to add cord to reach the power.

Q5. change tire valve stems. Why? Are these the ones I need:

No, you do not need to do that, HOWEVER it does make it easier to check the tire pressure and add if needed. but you do not NEED to do it.

Q6. which toilet chemicals are the best?

Water

Q7. am I limited with TV choices to ones specifically running on 12v? Or, can I get any TV in Best Buy?

No, any television can be used, when you are parked with 120 volt provided by the park.. IF you want to watch TV while parked without hookups. you can get a TRUE SINE WAVE inverter and have it installed.. Mine is 2,000 watts and runs the microwave as well but you likely want to go much smaller, 300-500 watts For jsut TV's (mine takes a LOT of batteries).

Regarding chairs and tables... That you will have to figure out But I will give you a few suggestions.

IF you decide to tow a car behind the RV, you might put 'em there, or in a cargo pod on the car's roof, If you do not tow a car then a small (And I mean SMALL) trailer (enclosed type) can not only carry the chairs and tables but perhaps a bicycle or 2 as well.

One thing I did not see on the list is power adapters.. I like to carry a full set so I can go from anything to anything but,, I'm that kind of person.. IF your RV is 30 amp you very likely will never need one but it is not a bad idea to carry adapters for both 15 amp outlets (To use at home to pre-cool the fridge) and the "other RV" size (30 or 50) just in cuss. Other than the home use one not essential till you need it and most park stors have them.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #63

carry a basic tool kit, stocked with things like fuses and hose clamps ....best insurance plan.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #64

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Quote:

marysia
Connecting your RV to your house really isn't all that necessary. If you run your generator regularly. If you want to run your refrigerator overnight before you head on the road you can just run 15 amp service and disconnect it before you go.
I leave mine on a storage lot unplugged and I run the generator for 5 minutes every two weeks. This jeeps the house battery charged. I wouldn't run the AC while in at 15 Amp but the rest is fine.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #65

Success. RV connected to my house using 30 amp-> 15 amp. Thank you for advice.

Requesting another clarification to my previously asked question. What TV do I need if I want to watch it while dry camping? Do I have to buy one of the expensive Jensen 12V TVs? Or will some off brand TV from Walmart work?

Thanks,

marysia
Old 08-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Success. RV connected to my house using 30 amp-> 15 amp. Thank you for advice.

Requesting another clarification to my previously asked question. What TV do I need if I want to watch it while dry camping? Do I have to buy one of the expensive Jensen 12V TVs? Or will some off brand TV from Walmart work?

Thanks,

marysia
Hi marysia,
If you have an inverter (400 to 600 watts is a common option for class C's) then you can get one of the Walmart sets. There should be an outlet that will run off the inverter in both the living area and the bedroom. Not sure where they would be in your RV but somewhere in the cabover area in the living area and directly across from the head of the bed in the bedroom area would be good places to check. If you do not have an inverter then you will most likely need a 12v tv.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #67

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
That depends. As Maddawgs correctly stated, if you have an inverter you can run a 120V TV from your batteries for some time. How long will depend on the number, condition and % charge state of your batteries. If you do this, make sure to monitor your batteries. Many say that to discharge them below 12.0 volts will shorten their life.

If you have a generator, you can certainly run any TV for as long as you are willing to have the generator running.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #68

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:

marysia
I recently installed a 30 amp dedicated line at my house for the MH. You can get a 30 amp,120v outside box for rv use at Lowes. That's where I got mine for about $30.00. If and when you can get the electrician, they can hook up the correct box if you already have it.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #69

I am new to RVing as well, only on the road (full timer) since May. I can tell you one thing I know to be true - it is not as hard as you think it is right now. I am a female traveling solo (my dog would beg to differ, but she has not yet learned how to help much other than to keep me sane!). I jumped in head first, sold my home and everything in it. Did a lot of reading, which I would suggest to you - just go to Amazon and pick a book that suits you. You will learn something and maybe a lot of somethings from any book. But really, if I can do this so can you. I'm sure of it. I was scared to death in the beginning - only 3 months in and I have made it to MT from NJ in one piece. You will find FRIENDS in every campground. Try not to worry, because truly - it's not as hard as you think it is.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #70

Update: Our first road trip and some questions.

Just came back from Colorado. It was awesome having place to stay at the trailheads after long dayhikes. I drove a lot by myself providing support for Bruce who rode hundrieds miles on his road bike. Some big passes. West side of Cottonwood Pass from Tyler Reservoir was not easy but going up Mt. Evans on the highest paved road in US really kicked my ass. I am pretty adventorous and done it before in my Subaru but it was different story in Rv. I do not think I will want to do it again. On the last day Bruce rode his bike from Idaho Springs all the way to the top (14,200 feet) - 48 miles and 7,000 feet up. Crazy!

Issues we experinced:

1. check valve on the water supply (where you connect your drinking water hose) started leaking. First trip and already problem? What will future bring? We fixed it.

2. Wastewater hose. We have RhinoFlex kit. It leaks at the first connection-connection to the RV. Not sure how it can be fixed. Any advice?

3. It is absolutely impossible to check tire pressure on the back tires. How can anyone sell this RV with this kind of arrangement. So, if I understood you correctly I need to get Chrome Duallyvalve kit from yourtiresupply.com. Will this kit allow me easy access to both inner and outter back tires? Will I be able to not only check but fill the tires? And what about another mentioned brand: Borg valves. Are these better? Will they allow easy access? I do not want at this time to buy TPMS system. We can live without it for now. However, I would like to know if the kit we buy now would be compatable with TPMS system we may buy one day?

4. Drinking water. We hoped to camp in the National Forrest as we always did in our tent. However, we now realize it is not as easy task to find a place for Rv as it was for small car. and definietely not if you move every day and you do not have much time for this search. Plus some gravel roads are just not meant for Rv. So, we had to stay in the National Forrest campgrounds. There were not bad but we would prefer to be on our own. We also stayed in two RV parks so we coudl deal with tanks and water. We know now that we would rather stay in the National Forrest camps. Just too many people, too close to other RVs, too claustrophobic. So, here is question for you: how do we re-supply drinking water if we do not stay in RV parks? We found dump stations for our tanks but no water source. What does one do?

Overall it was awesome experience. We learnt a lot. My husband was so impressed with everything I gathered for this trip. I was so proud of myslef. We had everything we needed. All because of your kind advices. Thank you so much to all of you who took time, patience and energy to help me.