Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #15

Congrats and welcome to the forum.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Remember how it was when you first got your drivers license and started driving alone, that's when you really became a driver. Same way with the motorhome with use comes experience. Consider joining an RV club such as WIT, Good Sam or FMCA and hang around some of the members. With more tha 30 years of RVing I am still learning. Made some very good friends as well.

Got a Camping World near by, an Rvers candy store, but buy frugally, most "stuff" is a waste of money.

Don, WIT 70041
You can't fix stupid but you can vote them out.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
Remember how it was when you first got your drivers license and started driving alone, that's when you really became a driver. Same way with the motorhome with use comes experience. Consider joining an RV club such as WIT, Good Sam or FMCA and hang around some of the members. With more tha 30 years of RVing I am still learning. Made some very good friends as well.
I've been RV'ing since 1957 and the same for me although now it's more sharing than learning.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #18

US Too! Taking delivery Saturday on a 2012 Jayco Greyhawk... The learning curve begins soon! Be Safe.... Enjoy, we will!!
Joemaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new purchase and put your mind at ease as I'm sure you'll get all the info to help you out from the forum. Enjoy your time on the site and have a great rv-ing season. Hope to see you down the road.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Welcome and congrats! I would suggest having a 25' water hose and a water pressure regulator, with an electical cord, and a sewer hose. I would load with what ever you can think to take for your comfort, without buying everything you think you might need. Now spend a couple weekends rving. I am sure you will soon know what you will want , and what will work in your storage area! We always gain ideas while talking to fellow rvers while on the road. Have got some great help, while still learning!!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #21

I am spending all my free hours reading and researching. today I ordered all hoses, Flash King, surge protector, water pressure regulator, 50-> 30 amp dogbone. have few more questions:

Are these statements correct?

1. I should not connect to house electricity without having 30 amp outlet. How difficult is to install 30 amp outlet?

2. I cannot fill water tank without pressure reducer. Can I connect to house water system after I put pressure reducer?

Do I need:

1. to replace the original batteries or add more batteries?

2. buy leveling blocks/wheel chocks?

3. buy another water hose(beside water houses)? why do I need it?

4. buy extension cord? 50 feet? Why do I need it? Is it some special extension cord?

5. change tire valve stems. Why? Are these the ones I need:

135 Degree Valve Extenders - Wheel Masters 8029135 - Wheel Accessories - Camping World

or these:

45 Degree Valve Extenders - Wheel Masters 8029 - Wheel Accessories - Camping World

6. which toilet chemicals are the best?

7. am I limited with TV choices to ones specifically running on 12v? Or, can I get any TV in Best Buy?

Re: Camp chairs and camp table. I am still not sure where they will be stored while travelling. I tried to load different folding chairs I have in the outside compartments and none fit there.

Will appreciate your help,

marysia
marmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Hi marmoss,
4. A copy of the movie 'RV' with Chevy Chase. Watch it and watch it again. Take notes. Don't do what he does.
Ah, wasn't it Robin Williams in RV, not Chevy Chase?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmoss View Post
I am spending all my free hours reading and researching. today I ordered all hoses, Flash King, surge protector, water pressure regulator, 50-> 30 amp dogbone. have few more questions:

1. I should not connect to house electricity without having 30 amp outlet. How difficult is to install 30 amp outlet?

You can plug into your house but you won't be able to use very many of your electrical appliances in the RV.

2. I cannot fill water tank without pressure reducer. Can I connect to house water system after I put pressure reducer?

You can fill your water tank without a pressure regulator but be sure the overflow is open. The pressure regulator is mainly to protect the water lines to the faucets and toilet.

Do I need:

You do not need to replace the original batteries unless they are bad. Adding more batteries depends on what kind of camping you will be doing. If you camp with electrical hookups your batteries will be all that are necessary.

This depends on your RV and where you will be camping. If your RV has leveling jacks you probably won't need leveling blocks unless the campsite is very un-level. A lot of people use wheel chocks for safety.

We carry a couple of 25' drinking water hoses in case one gets damaged or in case the hookup is too far for one hose.

4. buy extension cord? 50 feet? Why do I need it? Is it some special extension cord?

We carry a 25' 50 Amp extension cord in case the camp pedestal is too far to reach with the RV's electrical cord. (Our coach is 50 amp).

If you have dually wheels on your RV I recommend installing dually valve stems instead of extensions. Extensions have a bad reputation of leaking. These valve stems are solid metal and are long enough to reach through the outside dual.

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

All of them are about the same aside from their aroma. A lot of people use Pine Power from The Dollar Store.

7. am I limited with TV choices to ones specifically running on 12v? Or, can I get any TV in Best Buy?

Again this depends on the type of camping you will be doing. If you are camping with electrical hookups you can use any TV you want.

Re: Camp chairs and camp table. I am still not sure where they will be stored while travelling. I tried to load different folding chairs I have in the outside compartments and none fit there.

We store our larger folding chairs under the bed in our RV while traveling. Our Coleman camp table folds up small enough to fit in the outside compartments.

marysia
I hope the answers help.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner

You can connect to a 15A (typical) 120v outlet, or a 20A outlet. You just need to watch your load. We have a storage building with all sorts of power and when connecting it to a 20A circuit, we run only 1 AC and make sure that there isn't much else on the circuit.

Installing a 30A 120V outlet in terms of difficulty depends on the design of your home and how accessible the breaker box is and the proximity to where you need the outlet to be.

We don't have a pressure reducer. We've never needed one. They're a good idea, but are not required.
Your home, if connected to city water, already had a pressure reducer.

You tell us. Replacing the batteries and adding more is more applicable to boondocking.. You should, however, endeavor to keep the batteries at a reasonable charge via having the coach plugged in at least once per month. You should also watch the water level and learn how to fill the batteries with distilled water (only).

Yes. You'll need these.

Typically the "flush" hose for your blackwater (sewer) system exposes that hose to bacteria in that tank. Don't interchange the hose you drink with and the hose you flush from.

If you need it, buy it. If you don't need it, don't buy it. I have a special 50' 10 gauge extension, but I built it when boondocking and building a house.

You'll need an extension, most likely, buy one that is high quality (thick wire)...

You have a smaller coach. Can you fill and check the tires OK? If so you don't need these.

There is no definitive answer here. Some people don't use them at all. This deserves it's own research.

We added cyclone vents and don't use chemicals typically.

Depends on the coach. Most coaches have 120v TVs - same as your house and modern LCD TVs don't pull much power.

Roof, hitch carrier are other options....
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #25

Hi, I'm new to this site, though I've owned my motorhome since 2001.

One thing I discovered, in the short time I've been a member here is, the folks on the forum are more than happy to share their knowledge and advice... something not found on all sites.

I found that I ended up buying just about every trinket, geegaw, gizmo and doodad ever marketed to the motorhome crowd... then spent the next several years, divesting myself of all those double throw down, triple step over, custom gadgets I just "knew" were absolutely essential.

My suggestion is to pick up the basics, then take a few short trips to familiarize yourself with what you'll actually be needing.

I'm sure that what I carry has already been listed, so I won't repeat it all...

Try not to be too blown away by it all... it's so worth the steep learning curve when you can look out your window, at a million dollar view, not to mention the great folks you'll have the opportunity to meet.
unca waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If I tried to list all that I carry:
30' 50 amp cord permanently attached
30' 50 amp extension cord
2-30' 30 amp extension cords
100' 20 amp extension cord
50' 20 amp extension cord
at least 75' of drinking water hose
50' non potable water hose for rig washing
gallons of engine oil
gallons of transmission fluid
extra filters for diesel and engine oil
grease gun and spare cartridges
battery powerd saw and drill, batteries and charger
7' folding ladder
6 chairs + 2 in the toad
5 tables
BBQ and spare cartridges
Spare engine belts
Spare bulbs
Spare relays

See where this is heading? What you carry will expand to fit the space you have!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #27
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Lots of great advice. The one thing I did was not camp in my driveway but went to a state park campground that is basically in town. I wanted the whole set up/ break down thing to help me learn what to do and what I needed. All within a 20 minute drive of home or Wal Mart. Just in case.

After a couple of years and being subscribed to the "what did you buy today" thread I find things now and then that I still didn't realize I had to have. All while trying to watch the weight and storage limits.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmoss View Post

Do I need:

135 Degree Valve Extenders - Wheel Masters 8029135 - Wheel Accessories - Camping World

or these:

45 Degree Valve Extenders - Wheel Masters 8029 - Wheel Accessories - Camping World

marysia
Hi marysia,
I'll try to answer some of your questions. First I would suggest like other have already to camp for a few days in your driveway or a close campground (close to a Walmart or Camping World). This will get you accustomed to your RV and show you what you will need to be comfortable and happy. If you find that you need something during this time write it down or go and get it.

1. I should not connect to house electricity without having 30 amp outlet. How difficult is to install 30 amp outlet? You can connect at your house with as little as a 30amp to 15amp adapter. This should be enough to keep the house battery charged and run some lights. With a 30amp connection you should have full access to all your RV electronics. If you do decide to have a 30amp connection installed be sure you electrician does it correctly-THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT-if done incorrectly you could fry all the electronics (or your surge protector). Here is a link to a page that you should print and hand to your electrician (hope it works) http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf

2. I cannot fill water tank without pressure reducer. Can I connect to house water system after I put pressure reducer? Actually what you need is a water pressure regulator. When I had my pop up camper I did not have one and when I hooked up and turned the spigot the pressure blew the main line in the camper-it was a mess. I use and adjustable model the is hooked up before the inline water filter (another good idea) and fresh water connection. Most newer RV's can handle 45psi.

1. to replace the original batteries or add more batteries? This is up to you. Are your batteries old, are you planning on doing a lot of boondocking? It really depends on age and your camping plans.

2. buy leveling blocks/wheel chocks? This is up to you. I have jack pads, lego type leveling blocks, and wheel chocks. So far I use the jack pads and wheel chocks all the time but have not used the leveling blocks.

3. buy another water hose(beside water houses)? why do I need it? I would suggest two 30 foot fresh water hoses these are usually white and are also called potable hoses. On our last trip for some reason the water connection was at the end of the site and my 30 footer was 3 feet short so now I carry two. You may also want a short green hose for rinsing out your sewer line (keep this and your sewer line away from the white hoses)

4. buy extension cord? 50 feet? Why do I need it? Is it some special extension cord? For most situations a 25 or 30 footer will do fine. I have both a 30 and 50 footer. The 50 is used at the house for the 30amp house connection.

or these:

I would caution against any valve extension as they are eventually a source of leaks and instead suggest a metal valve stem replacement. I have the borg valve stem replacements but there are others out there. This is something that will need to be done if you plan on adding a TPMS system (highly recommended).

6. which toilet chemicals are the best? Again this one is up to you. We use an environmentally safe and organic gel pak type. There are plenty of varieties out there. I would stay away from any type that has formaldehyde in it. Formaldehyde is very bad for septic systems.

7. am I limited with TV choices to ones specifically running on 12v? Or, can I get any TV in Best Buy? Nope, most RV's have both 12v and 110v systems so either one should be ok.

Re: Camp chairs and camp table. I am still not sure where they will be stored while travelling. I tried to load different folding chairs I have in the outside compartments and none fit there. Any of this type of stuff we carry in the trunk of the toad.

Hope I was able to help you some. I know it all looks a little overwhelming right now but overtime it gets a lot easier. Happy camping.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote