Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #1

New to Rv - very intimidated

Just brought home 2012 Itasca Navion J. My first RV. I am completely overwhelmed. Looking for a list of neccesary supplies such as hose, etc. Tried to search web and this forum for this information with no luck. Any advice for useful web links which would allow me to learn as much as possible in the shortest time. Also, looking for tips what outside chairs to buy, where to store them, etc.

I am very sorry if these questions were asked again and again by others. If someone would be kind enough to give me idea what key words to use in search box to find previous messages on these subjects I would be very grateful.

m

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig! I know how intimidating it all can seem at first. Five years ago I was in your shoes with a new Ellipse 40DP.

As for the best web site to learn as much as possible, you've found it.

Here's a thread that might help with your kitchen stocking

Suggestions for stocking the kitchen on our TT...

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations and welcome! I know what you mean about feeling intimidated, however knowledge is key. To start, perhaps this checklist link would be helpful:
Need An RV Checklist?... Here Are All The Best Checklists For RVers - The Fun Times Guide to RVing
Also, yahoo groups has a Navion/View owners forum. I would suggest joining that for specific questions.
View-Navion : Winnebago's Skinnie-Winnies
The Winnebago forum here on irv2 can help also.
Best of luck, and remember, it's all about fun!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #4

Hey marmoss...no worries....a new RV can be very intimidating at first but if they were that much trouble to operate, nobody would have one!!....lol….this forum is a great place to learn a lot and you’ll get it in no time….as far as things you may need, I have a PDF file I made for my coach when I started outfitting it that I can send you…me and my wife sat down and tried to think of things we’d need or wish we had from the days or our 5th wheel and came up with this list….it’s probably missing some things and overkill on some but served as a good guide for us…..hope it helps….

As far as chairs go, I like the antigravity type loungers at Academy…..they are around $50 and fold pretty flat for transporting…..also have a set of folding recliners we got from Target that were $100 a set….I’m not sure about storage on the Class C’s so you’ll have to make that up on your own….if no room for these types, there are always the $10 bag chairs that you can chunk anywhere…..it’ll get you by till you figure things out….

Hope this helps…..pleasant journeys my friend……………

Camper Stuff.pdf
Old 07-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #5

The easiest way to figure out the how and what's of RVing is to do. Think of your RV as a summer/winter vacation home on wheels. What would you want for the kitchen, bedroom, patio? Take into consideration size, weight and storage. Outdoor chairs are personal preference. Weight and size need to be considered and do you have an outside storage bin large enough to store them.

I use a small Weber gas BBQ that fits in an outside bin. I have two recliner type chairs I bought at Camp World that fits in another bin. I keep my holding tank service stuff (dump hose, rubber gloves, chemicals and rinse hose) in a plastic bin stored in another bin. I keep my fresh water hose and filter in another separate plastic bin. I also keep a 50' extension cord and 30-15 amp adapter in the same bin.

It's not as daunting as it seems. With use you will figure out what works best for you. We all have different travel styles, wants and expectations. Talk to others at camp grounds and RV Parks to get first hand ideas. It is the best way to figure it all out.

Enjoy and have fun.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #6

Hello, and Welcome to iRV2.

Sounds like you have jumped into the deep end .

DON"T PANIC !! We're here to help.

You will probably get your best info from your neighbors in RV parks, with regard to what works for them and might work well for you.
Start off slow, maybe even with garage sale items , till you get an idea of what fits/works for you.
2 items that you will want , to start with the best/new are , fresh water hose ; RV drinking water rated, machined ends ( last longer) 25' length, easier to coil up extra, than stretch or move to reach hook ups in a site.
And sewer, I'll go out on a limb and say " Rino-Flex" quality fittings, easy to store, with end caps to stop them from smelling in storage. NOTE. this brand has large, end fittings that don't fit into some built-in storage tubes , so it may not work for you. Disposable gloves and hand sanitizer, for handling the sewer " stuff".
Safe Travels
Old 07-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

A lot of good suggestions above.

The first thing you should purchase is an electrical surge protector. You might think they are expensive until you have to replace all of the electronics in your new coach.

Surge Protectors, Surge Guards, Voltage Converters - Camping World

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmoss View Post
Just brought home 2012 Itasca Navion J. My first RV. I am completely overwhelmed. Looking for a list of neccesary supplies such as hose, etc. Tried to search web and this forum for this information with no luck. Any advice for useful web links which would allow me to learn as much as possible in the shortest time. Also, looking for tips what outside chairs to buy, where to store them, etc.

I am very sorry if these questions were asked again and again by others. If someone would be kind enough to give me idea what key words to use in search box to find previous messages on these subjects I would be very grateful.

m
Hi marmoss,
Here is a link to a ton of information on class C's over on the rv.net forums . It should be enough to keep you busy reading for a while. RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Frequently Asked Questions about Class C's
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Most of the people on these forums are happy to help.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post

A lot of good suggestions above.

The first thing you should purchase is an electrical surge protector. You might think they are expensive until you have to replace all of the electronics in your new coach.

Surge Protectors, Surge Guards, Voltage Converters - Camping World

Jon
x2, camping world is having a sale on these right now.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #10

I am so thankful to all of you for taking time to answer my questions.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmoss View Post

m
Hi marmoss,

Great advice from others already. I like to keep my RV completely stocked and ready to go, except for food. All I have to do is stock the fridge and go.

At a minimum you'll need:

1. A fresh water hose. I carry three 10' ones. Always protect the hose's connections and be careful not to allow contamination into it. I connect the ends together after use for storage so that nothing can get in there. I also use the blue carbon filters on the incoming hose. I use one each season, then throw it away. Be sure to rinse it out thoroughly before connecting it. When new, they contain lots of carbon dust.

2. A sewer hose, or 'stinky slinky'. The ones at WalMart seem to be popular. I use one from there, and have found it to be perfectly adequate for the purpose. You can spend a LOT on these, but the end result is the same. Fill your new tanks with water and practice dumping them. When it is time to dump the nasty, you'll know what to expect.

3. A 50A->30A dogbone, and a 30A->15A dogbone should get you power no matter where you are. An extension cable or two is not a bad idea.

4. A copy of the movie 'RV' with Chevy Chase. Watch it and watch it again. Take notes. Don't do what he does.

When I bought my first RV, I camped in my DRIVEWAY for a long weekend. I tried to not go to the house for anything. If I needed something, I went shopping for items to stock the RV. If you can do it there, you can do it 30 (or 300, or 3000) miles from there.

Always remember, Walmart is everywhere, has almost everything you need, and is RV friendly. So maybe go stay a night or two in your local Walmart parking lot. It'll build character, and make you feel good about yourself. And their roasted chicken is the bomb.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
As I was told when I first got mine years ago...
just buy two of everything and then you will be throwing away a lot

don't be in a rush as others have said....
it will come to you and Camping World LOVES impulse buying by newbies...
fyi, save your receipts, they also have a liberal return policy
Old 07-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
If you can do some camping in your RV in your driveway for a couple of weekends and do not cheat and go into house unless an emergency.
You will learn pretty fast with all the helpful answers you have had so far.
Relax and enjoy and all will fall in place.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #14

I might suggest Amazon for your needs. I find them to have good prices and free shipping on tons of their items, especially products made by Camco. I have used them for most of my necessary items.