Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #1

New to RVing Class C or TT Trying to Decide

Hi All,

My family and I want to start camping more so we've decided to get an RV. Due to or budget we are shopping for something used. I've noticed in many cases the prices for a Class C vehicle is not too far off from that of a travel trailer. We've gone through the pros and cons of owning a Class C vehicle vs. a travel trailer and we're having trouble deciding which one would be best for us. Was this an issue for you when you were shopping for an RV for the first time? Why did you choose a Class C and are you glad you did?

Thank You, Rob
Jhuff8181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We need a bit more info to give input.

How many in your family. If kids, what ages? Any pets?
What kind of camping? Weekends & a couple week trips per year or travel around the country?
Do you have a properly sized truck to tow a TT?
How old are the Class C's you're looking at that are comparable in price to a TT? Older Class C's may require handyman skills to keep in condition.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #3

NLOVNIT thank you for your reply. THere are five in our family me my wife and the kids are 18, 15 and 12. I have a Suburban with towing package. I am pretty handy plumbing, electrical, woodworking, etc. and one of my son in laws is a mechanic. No pets. Couple of trips per month 200 miles or less and maybe on long trip per year.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
You already have a truck big enough to tow a fair amount, I would say TT. although.. the trip there is certainly more enjoyable in a MotorHome, accessible fridge, bathroom, and noise seperation from the kids are all very nice. When you take a trip, you will probably want some transportation (towing a dinghy behind the motorhome..) might be something you have add ($$) later on where as with a TT, you have your trusty tow vehicle with you.

I make this suggestion based on the short distance (200 miles), size of the famliy (would be a BIG dinghy [HA!]), and what's available right now in TT.

We moved from Pop-Up to MH last year, love the change. MH is MUCH easier to drive/position that the trailer and getting there is now part of the fun. I am envious sometimes how large/less expensive the Travel trailers are but it goes away when I pass them up at the gas station.. Yes it costs a fortune to fill up the Class C, but I can go further before gassing up.

Hope it helps.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
We've owned a pop up, travel trailer and now a Class C. The class c is our favorite. Our daily driver rigs get 30 mpg on the highway, which allows us to save on fuel by not owning a tow rig as our 2nd vehicle/daily driver (used to have Ford SuperCrew with 8,500 tow capacity). In your case I would be tempted to get a travel trailer only because of already having a decent tow rig and you can get a newer trailer than class C for the price.

Camping is easier in the C and we sure do love the option for space while traveling. The C makes for good tailgating and little day trips to a nearby lake too that we wouldn't do with a travel trailer.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #6

Someone once explained it to me this way. In a travel trailer once you drive to your destination and get it set up, you are then on vacation. In a motorhome ( class C or A ), you are on vacation the minute you back out of the driveway. ...whistling
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
My two cents - a C if you want to change locations constantly - A TT if you plan to just go somewhere and set up and that is it. We love our c as getting there is fun too. It is amazing, a 10 hour drive in our C doesn't seem as long as it does in a car. Maybe because the passenger can get up and move around. Good luck with your decision, I'm sure you will enjoy either..
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #8

I'd go with the TT so you can set up and remain set up and still drive around without having to tow a vehicle behind the Class C.

I'm surprised you're finding Class C's are close in price to TT's. Are those used Class C's versus new TT's ??

If so, I'd much rather go new than used, because then the only surprises are under warranty and you don't have to deal with someone else's mediocre handy-work.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhuff8181 View Post
NLOVNIT thank you for your reply. THere are five in our family me my wife and the kids are 18, 15 and 12. I have a Suburban with towing package. I am pretty handy plumbing, electrical, woodworking, etc. and one of my son in laws is a mechanic. No pets. Couple of trips per month 200 miles or less and maybe on long trip per year.
Sounds to me as a TT would be better, can probably get a better one for the $$ and if you are just doing 200 miles or less a month and you have a good tow vehicle already. Let us all know what you end up with!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #10

I know this an old thread but... We used to have a popup then a TT, now an 04 class C. Now that kids are grown, and sometimes bring grand babies with them, we have found MH to be very handy. Our toad is an 05 jeep wrangler LJ, no we can't all fit in the jeep, but the adult kids usually bring a car or pickup.

DW leaves MH stocked with canned goods and clothes, (nothin that'll attract mice) we get in and go. Often just for a weekend, a time or two for longer.

For traveling with grand kids and youngsters, nothing is better..., bathroom, kitchen, tv w DVR, plenty of space to secure car seats etc.

Bought ours used, lots of sweat equity, I am handy with carpentry and electrical, not so much with mechanical... But for under $20 grand, including the 05 jeep, we are livin the life.

Good luck... It is not an investment, it is a hobby, and a great memory maker.
LK
lkillebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #11

Thank you everyone on this forum for your input and relating your experiences. Based on what we've read hear and a lot of soul searching we've decided to start or search for a vintage Class C. I have my inspection checklist in hand, so off I go.

Rob
Old 06-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #12

Two major things to watch on preowned class c motorhomes, The Roof, and the Transmissions, those two things take the most abuse.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are both retired but many years ago started with tents, then pop-ups then a 23' MH then a 34' MH then we went in to TT's. In our opinion the TT was the worst mistake we ever made. In 4 years we owned 3 TT's and were not to happy with any of them. We had a good tow vehicle, F-150, and the TT's were 28-29' long and OK for room. Then why were we unsatisfied?? The TT's and we had good brands were just not made very well. Our last one was very nice and roomy. However on every TT we bought and they were all ordered, the first things that I did were to: 1. Remove the china bomb tires and install decent ones. 2. Remov the wheel bearings and install good quality TOYO bearings. 3. Install shock absorbers to reduce trailer sway, bounce and to improve handling. 4. Installed a TPMS system to monitor the tire pressure and temperature as we traveled in an attempt to reduce the chance of blow out which in many cases does a lot of TT damage. After all those extra expense when we camped we lowered the 4 corner stabalizer jacks, installed two scissors jacks under the center of the frame and installed two jacks under the long slide. After all of that the TT frame still bounced like a trampoline.

We've traded in the TT and ordered a 2014 Winnebago Vista 30T. I realize that this is just my opinion and there are many who travel and camp in TT's. We just had different expectations when it came to the quality of the TT's and they were never met.

We also expected to get decent fuel milage pulling a TT. Well 10-MPG is not much better then we will get with a MH. Since we also traveled in a MH before the comfort level when traveling in a MH is much better then with a TT. You can stop and eat, sleep, make a cup of coffee etc in a MH. With a TT you can do all of that but not quite as easy in some cases. With a TT you are still confined in your TV unless you stop. Years ago we even changed drivers while traveling in a MH. I wouldn't recommend or advocate that but we were young and stupid.

JM2CW
TeJay
Old 06-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
We are both retired but many years ago started with tents, then pop-ups then a 23' MH then a 34' MH then we went in to TT's. In our opinion the TT was the worst mistake we ever made. In 4 years we owned 3 TT's and were not to happy with any of them. We had a good tow vehicle, F-150, and the TT's were 28-29' long and OK for room. Then why were we unsatisfied?? The TT's and we had good brands were just not made very well. Our last one was very nice and roomy. However on every TT we bought and they were all ordered, the first things that I did were to: 1. Remove the china bomb tires and install decent ones. 2. Remov the wheel bearings and install good quality TOYO bearings. 3. Install shock absorbers to reduce trailer sway, bounce and to improve handling. 4. Installed a TPMS system to monitor the tire pressure and temperature as we traveled in an attempt to reduce the chance of blow out which in many cases does a lot of TT damage. After all those extra expense when we camped we lowered the 4 corner stabalizer jacks, installed two scissors jacks under the center of the frame and installed two jacks under the long slide. After all of that the TT frame still bounced like a trampoline.

We've traded in the TT and ordered a 2014 Winnebago Vista 30T. I realize that this is just my opinion and there are many who travel and camp in TT's. We just had different expectations when it came to the quality of the TT's and they were never met.

We also expected to get decent fuel milage pulling a TT. Well 10-MPG is not much better then we will get with a MH. Since we also traveled in a MH before the comfort level when traveling in a MH is much better then with a TT. You can stop and eat, sleep, make a cup of coffee etc in a MH. With a TT you can do all of that but not quite as easy in some cases. With a TT you are still confined in your TV unless you stop. Years ago we even changed drivers while traveling in a MH. I wouldn't recommend or advocate that but we were young and stupid.

JM2CW
TeJay
Well Spoken! HAHAHAHA (ChinaBomb tires..) love it!

Tags
rving