Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #1

Red face Newb here I am in search of RV

hello all,

I am in search of a newer rv, as I have a 1996 Minnie Winnie 21rs that is basically rotting away in my backyard, it has 148,000 miles, was hit by a tree some roof damage, most of the inside is in good condition but I want a newer one so I may take my long awaited dream of driving across the usa to see the big ball of twine. one question I have is ''' can you get a better deal going to an rv show or just going straight to a dealer. here is nj there will be a show in Atlantic city soon.
Be Kind Peace to all,

tracy
Seawitch62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

If there aren't a lot of special things you want in a new MH hen going to a show and buying off the floor will save you a lot of money. Otherwise go to a dealer and give them the specifics of what you want. Being you're in NJ if you can wait till the late summer(beginning of Sept) go to the show in Hershey. It is much bigger the the ones here. Atlantic city is okay. Hershey is perhaps 20 times bigger, plus everyone is there.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #3

Searching for a deal 18% is pretty reasonable. Motor home shows do sometimes make a deal but how good that is that is a question that can be answered after you have knowledge of pricing and options. Those that are getting 25% off are usually dealing with very high end motor homes where they have more room to cut. The mark up is ridiculous on some units.

If you are working with a large dealership that sell large quantities you have a good chance of making a deal, smaller dealers are working with a closer margins. Chassis gas vs Diesel, generators Diesel vs gas, any and all options can be a bargaining point.

If you are not flexible in chassis or options it is going to cost you. Dealers can tell when you're attached to a unit, what is your tell.

When I was looking I had a unit already in mind but no dealership and I wasn't locked into a specific year, or color. I did have specific options, generator, awning, a single slide with topper, Diesel, a dry shower with room to move a bit.

I ended up buying a year end model interior color was good exterior ok everything else exactly as I wanted. Price was well below list price.

My two cents.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:34 PM   #4

Smile thanks for your time and help

OK, after looking at many rvs i dont need mattching floor ttiles with the furnitture, lol, just kiding honestly i just want one tthat is going to give me peace of mind to nott break down in tthe nj turnpike as itt is Very expensive, the freelander 20cb looks aboutt whatt i want.
Please excuse the TT my keyboard is messed up. i would perfer a couch or the j lounge or the half moon seat, im done with many years at the kiddie table, as i am 55 and preferr more room as my body stiffens up alot quicker now adays. 22 years in the navy has beat me down quitte abit also.
as far as the shows my girlfriend and i wentt to hershey last year we rented a cabin at the campground down tthe street wow there were lots to look at but we were on a ttime crunch so we didnt stay for the whole weekend.
i was really interested in the TTravato, but its way out of my price range.
one tthing i noticed is that how cheaply tthese new ones are made. case in pointt is the drivers seat, they seem smaller and alot harder when you ttalking about an 8 hour drive. my astro van has better seats. then some of these rvs. well i could go on for days butt grand kids are here, holiday no school monday oh its 130 am. ooops. tthanks in advance for all your help.

peace,
tttracy dam this t key is driving me crazy
Seawitch62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #5

If you also considering used don't forget Craig's list. We found our MH and tow car there.
Labrat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #6

Sounds like you are looking for a class C. I too would recommend checking for a used coach 1-5 years that has been 'broke in'. Also PLEASE don't plan to drive much more than 4-6 hours most days. Relax, enjoy the journey. Leave yourself time to enjoy the destination. We are trying to follow the 2-2-2 rule. Drive 200 hundred miles (4 hours), arrive by 2 PM and stay for at least two nights. Even when we are just trying to get from point A (Indiana) to point B (CA) we followed this plan most days. Sometimes the stopping place had nothing to offer, so we would just stay the one night. Usually we just hooked up the electricity on those days. - Safe travels once you find that perfect purchase.
Mike_Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #7

Travato, if you are looking at B/B+ they are all pricey. The price on C's varies widely based on quality and option. Look at something maybe two years older and be willing to travel there are some good deals on some really nice rigs.

My major requirements is a one piece fiberglass roof on the C, on a C& B/B+ Dual wheels for stability on the rear.

Gas/Diesel, gas lower initial cost, lower resale, lower gas mileage.
Diesel higher initial price, higher resale, better mileage. On average if you sell within 5 years pice will generally balance out.

View/Navion are now basically the same units.
Leisure Travel high end limited floor plans and fewer dealers in the U.S.
There are others building on the same chassis but you need to look closely at quality.
B/B+ all use the same 4 chassis, Sprinter, Chevy, Chrysler, Ford, wet showers, same basic floor plans some laid out with galley on right others on left. Leisure has a slide option.
All are over priced but you are paying for squeezing 4 bags of stuff in a 3 bag space.

Just thinking about all the option available. Big job finding the right one to fit your needs. Have fun.