Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-23-2015, 12:03 AM   #1
Newbe about to jump in

Hello everyone. Wife and I are looking at small 25 to 27 foot class c's. Not finding many acceptable floor plans so we are looking into Nexus as they seem to be willing to make changes for us. Anyone have negatives on Nexus we should know about? Also we would like to use the coach around Thanksgiving or Christmas in central Oklahoma at the inlaws for three or four night stays instead of hotel room. Are we going to have problems using the coach in the winter? We are going to invest in a solar setup and AGM batteries. Anything else I should know?

Wood cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #2

I have used my motorhome in the winter, however I do have it winterized and avoid using water,except for toilet. If you're planning to use yours during the wintertime make sure The RV that you're going to buy has good insulation. A lot of folks that do camp during the winter will generally add an additional heat source to keep warm.

Check with the selling dealer and get their recommendations also.

Best of luck and happy trails!!

Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

Good luck on your search
Tricia & Dennis Lockhart
2010 Ventana 4333
Spartan MM w/Cummins 360 ISC
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
Our first RV was a 26 foot Winnebago Aspect. It was an excellent coach with above average build quality. We used it through Thanksgiving and then stored it until mid-March. We're in KC so similar weather. Heated just fine with a small ceramic heater from Wal-Mart. Another plus is that the 26 foot long class C is nimble enough that you won't need a toad.
tfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #5

The most important thing about using an RV in the winter is your brain. Keep it engaged all the time even when you are stopped.

I strongly suggest that you keep looking at floor plans. If it works, it has been done. If it doesn't work, there are still a few out there. Also, as it is your first, search the used market. You can save a lot of money and as it is unlikely it will be your last, you will have formed some important impressions of what you like and do not like.

We often travel/camp in cold weather. Probably colder than you are anticipating. Always anticipate cold and bad weather. If you have to hold up a day and wait until the weather breaks, just keep the heat on and do that. Have an extra day's provisions and fuel always. Let the crazy ones go have their own accidents and go home.

Most newer RVs are insulated well enough, but if you are running in cold, you have to be aware that water lines can freeze and be damaged, so be ready to deal with that should the need arise.

Know what temperature your electric heat can handle. You may not able to do much on an extension cord when visiting relatives.

A lifelong waterman and his bride going dry places for as long as the fuel money lasts.
MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #6
We've owned our Nexus Phantom 28P for almost a year and have had no issues at all with it. We also use it throughout the winter here in central OK. Just make sure you are running the furnace and not a electric heater! The tanks are heated by a vent off the furnace to the under belly! Also if its below freezing I would recommend filling the onboard water tank and disconnecting the hose to prevent frozen pipes. Our weather is vey unpredictable that time of year, could be 60-70 degrees or freezing with snow or ice. I would just check the forecast ahead of time.

2005 Foretravel U270, Cummins 400HP ISL
2013 Nexus Phantom 28P. (Sold)
2013 Polaris RZR 900XP LE, Orange Madness
BigD629 is offline   Reply With Quote