Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Newbe - Purchase question, please

Please let me know your experienced thoughts on what we are looking at possibly doing ....

My husband and I work in lower Alabama and have a 2nd house in New Orleans and are possibly going to purchase a 24 ft 2013 Forest River Solera. We would trade in our "commuting SUV" for it. In otherwords, is it crazy to buy a motor home to drive 3 hours every weekend to and from our second home? (6 hours round trip) We would also use it on occasion to visit our kids in Texas and some "tailgating" .. but primarily use it to drive to and from New Orleans every weekend.

Our thoughts are that it would be more enjoyable riding in it vs. a regular car (which we have done now for 6 years). Also could use it when we retire in about 2 years to actually see the country.

Anyway ... thoughts are appreciated! We are planning on going back to the dealership next weekend. We have absolutely NO experience with RV's or camping for that matter. Thanks ....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #2

If you need to buy new that would work for your current desires, but you may decide to buy bigger when you retire and travel cross country. In that case buying used will prevent you from all the trials and tribulations of working out the bugs that all new rvs seem to have and when it is time to upgrade you won't be upside down on the trade in value of the C. good luck, this month My wife and I are jumping into the life hopeful feet first not head first.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You'll get lots of advice on your questions. However, I would tell you not to buy new unless you need to get rid of your trade in vehicle. Even it that is the case you may do better getting something used from a dealer. You will likely end up just giving it to them.

As to the remainder of your questions, it comes down to living comforts. If you can afford to drive it and it brings you more enjoyment, go for it.

Dave
Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks for your advice about buying new. Our problem is that we have never had good luck with buying used cars and my husband really doesn't want to buy "used". I hear that new RV's do have lots of kinks that need to be worked out - why is that? New cars don't .... or at least the majority don't ... what's the difference?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #5

Very interesting question, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of input on the timing of your purchase.
JMHO. And I'm sure even my wife would argue with me on this: she hates public washrooms : If the majority of use is the commuting, the fuel cost, vs, a car is a big issue, and the depreciation a new RV has in the first 2 years runs about 40% and a high miles RV can be even more.
I'd say stick with the car , and buy an RV when your ready to tour.
New RV glitches; where should I start ? A car that rolls off the assembly line can be 1 of 10s of thousands, and unless it is the first off on a Monday or the last on a Friday, one worker for every job on the assembly line, eash task completed in 10 mins or less, can be trouble free. An RV can be 1 of 100 or less and take weeks to assemble, each worker has many jobs to complete, and can be one of 10 working in the RV at the same time, things that should get done don't because workers go for ,coffee, lunch or leave for the day or another worker moves or installs something that covers an unfinished job. A lot of oportunties for error.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH
Thanks for your advice about buying new. Our problem is that we have never had good luck with buying used cars and my husband really doesn't want to buy "used". I hear that new RV's do have lots of kinks that need to be worked out - why is that? New cars don't .... or at least the majority don't ... what's the difference?
Hi Deb, we just purchased a Solera and have one road trip to the gulf coast. This is our first RV also and had the same concerns as you. There are some minor issues with the cabin but so far very minor, we are making a list and taking back to dealer for scheduled maintenance in 30 day. And fix ups. The Mercedes handled very well with no problems. Mileage averaged 14
Old 10-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #7

Buying new as a first RV? Definitely a bad idea. Duting to drive between houses? Silly is the nicest word I can come up with.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Buying new as a first RV? Definitely a bad idea. Duting to drive between houses? Silly is the nicest word I can come up with.
Ok, might be a little over kill ... but we would also use it for tailgating, set it up for Mardi Gras and possibly take it to Texas to visit our kids. Wouldn't it be more fun to be able to walk around, make coffee, etc. on the 3 hour weekly trip than just sit as a passenger? Also, we have three dogs we bring with us, so that would give them more room.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petemoss View Post
Hi Deb, we just purchased a Solera and have one road trip to the gulf coast. This is our first RV also and had the same concerns as you. There are some minor issues with the cabin but so far very minor, we are making a list and taking back to dealer for scheduled maintenance in 30 day. And fix ups. The Mercedes handled very well with no problems. Mileage averaged 14
Thanks ... that makes me feel better.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why is buying new a bad idea?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just feel your budget is what will dictate this thing. One of the small class a on a Mercedes chassis would probably fit your needs nicely. It would be easy to handle, and not take a lot of space up or cause you to have to create a storage area for it.

Those don't come cheap, at least 100 k new.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Why is buying new a bad idea?
Depreciation is the first thing that comes to my mind. Second is lack of prior RV experience will practically guarantee you will not keep the first one more than a year or two. Are you prepared for the financial hit after the first blush wears off? Where are you going to park it?
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Almost everything new goes down in value, buying used gains you no more experience than buying new and the RV they are looking at is really no longer than a SUV. If you have the money and you are not handy and don't want other peoples problems, then by new.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Ok, might be a little over kill ... but we would also use it for tailgating, set it up for Mardi Gras and possibly take it to Texas to visit our kids. Wouldn't it be more fun to be able to walk around, make coffee, etc. on the 3 hour weekly trip than just sit as a passenger? Also, we have three dogs we bring with us, so that would give them more room.
Hi Debbie,
There is nothing wrong with buying new. We not only bought new, we custom ordered thru our local dealer from Winnebago. A new unit will come with at least a 1 year (might be 2 for Jayco's) manufacturer's warranty. This will cover any issues that may (and most likely will!!!) pop up. We ordered ours with all (and only) the options we wanted with the colors and fabrics we chose. We did have a few minor issues that were taken care of at no cost to us. We did not have to worry about a previous owner's problems and now 2 years later could not be happier with our choice. Whether or not it would be a good idea or not to buy one for primarliy a transport unit is really up to you. If it were me and I had the same situation as yours I would. I can tell you from personal experience that it is great to get a a sandwich or coffee while on a long trip. Good luck in your research.
Todd

Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase