Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #1

I'm a newbie so be gentle. I haven't even bought my rv. I'M going Class C but not sure whether to go gas or diesel. I've read gas is cheaper but diesel offsets this because it has better range and towing strength. Thoughts?

modoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
There aren't a whole lot of diesels out there in class C so finding one that meets all your criteria and is in the shape you want it might be hard to find. However if the MH I bought was a choice between gas or diesel I would have went diesel in a heartbeat. Good luck to you. Now if you are looking at a class A then yeah, ton's of choices.

tacomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and

My preference when given the choice has always been diesel.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Gas or diesel - good question

I faced the same issue last year when I purchased my new C MH. I decided on gas after discussing with my brother, a long time A owner who has run both and uses gas now. Diesel is a lot more expensive but, from my understanding, terrain may be the issue (?). I live in the TN mountains and my gas engine does fine. I did not like the idea of diesel just due to availability in the back country. This used to be a problem when I drove a diesel car many years back - don't know now. The diesel C will cost more and what I was looking at was Ford versus Mercedes engine. I drive Mercedes cars but I do not want to road trip with that engine due to maintenance issues - not just anyone can work on one. I am very pleased with my Ford gas engine - mileage differences are not critical and yet to find a hill it can't tackle just fine, but I have not traveled the Rockies yet. I you are planning a lot of high terrain trips, then go with diesel. If you are more east coast - gas has done me well. Good luck and you will probably be happy either way. Have fun - I am loving it.
dhollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
As stated above you may find it difficult to find a diesel in a Class C. Also it would depend on your usage on gas vs diesel. You will pay more upfront for a diesel, but if your usage will be light (less then 5K to 6K miles a year) you might be better off with gas. I would have loved to own a diesel, but the cost wasn't worth the benefits. I have an 8.1L Vortec in my Chateau and the power is great and the MPH is about 8 to 10.

Good Luck
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
My C+ motorhome (37 foot) has an International diesel engine (300 Hp) and I get about 8 mpg while towing my toad. My motorhome weighs about 25,300 lbs loaded. I just saw that Four Winds and Chateau (Thor Motor Coach) have just placed 33 foot units on a Ford F-550 which can come with a gas or diesel engine. These units have a 19,500 gross weight rating which puts them a step above the units on a F-450 or the Chevy chassis.
Jim & Karin
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
2007 Volkswagen EOS
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #7

Find someone with a similar coach and get real information. Then use a spreadsheet to determine the actual coat per year and per mile. Include the loan payments, storage and maintenance of both. If you do as I did, you will find the break-even point of the diesel as being about 200k miles or about 26 years.

Do the analysis first.

I happen to love diesels and have had five diesel cars, but it still is hard to justify.

A lifelong waterman and his bride going dry places for as long as the fuel money lasts.
MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
Welcome to the forum and good luck with whatever you choose...
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #9
Buy something that excites you, but have it weighed at each tire position. This is the reason I bought a C+. It is nice to have extra carrying capacity. One of my favorite Fleetwood brand class c layouts stated that it had 888 lbs of carrying capacity. When I had it weighed prior to buying it, salesman was not happy, the front passenger and rear driver's side tire positions were over Ford's rating for the chassis. The motorhome had no water and very little fuel. There are many RVs running on the highways which are overloaded. Best of luck in whatever you buy.

Jim & Karin
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
2007 Volkswagen EOS
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote