Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #1

Newbie question, are all of you using toads?

Have been dreaming about rv ownership for hears and hubbie and I are now retired and looking at this for real and learning alot from you, thank you. First issue, decision to tow a trailer or class C. We would have to buy a tow vehicle too so cost may be pretty much the same. we are renting a class c for a few days next month to see if we really do like it, and may rent a towing vehicle and trailer too to see the difference. but my main question, it seems most are towing a vehicle with their class c. does anyone manage without one? I have seen them in grocery store parking lots, restaurants, even at trail heads (25 foot) and imagine that if I want to go into a city I could uber most places if its urban, or if staying for a week or so rent a car? thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #2

Many, many answers from many, many owners, but it all boils down to your needs.
If your rig is a smaller, say 24-26 footer, you can probably get thru mostt all cities, small towns, ect. Larger 28-31 footers can be a challange to run thru a lot of small towns and villages, and parking may be a problem.
Yes, uber and rentals are nice, but if you camp at alot of rural areas, they won't be available.
What do you do when you want to go exploring? Sometimes it's just not practical to go running up thru the mountains, 2 lane narrow road, to sightsee in a large rig.
Over the years we've stayed at many campgrounds that were 10-15 miles outside of any towns where rentals were available, if they were available at all.
We have towed a small Subaru from the outset, and would never travel without a toad.
It all comes back to your use of the rig and where you'll be staying.
Grumpy

grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #3

We purchased our first rv last december - a 28' overall length class c. We have spent about 5 months in it so far.

If you plan to be on the move every day you might be able to avoid a toad. However if you plan to go somewhere and stay awhile, as we do, you will need a toad or a car rental.

We are towing a ford edge 4 wheels down and it is no problem. We could not imagine being without it.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #4

Also, don't be put off by cost of a toad, unless your one of those owners who just has to have a new toad.
Look thru the classified section of this forum, under Toads. You'll find dozens of cars, suv's under 5-6 thousand dollars. And most come with complete tow hitch assemblies, and base plates already installed. That will save you 2-3 thousand dollars right off the bat.
If your just going to use the xtra veh as a toad, what does it matter if it's used.
Best advise...try camping in your rig, without a toad. See how comfortable you are without having a vehicle to tool around in. If you find your happy without one, good on you. If you find you need the xtra wheels, get one.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #5

We had a 32' Class A and never bothered with a toad (or renting cars). We rarely stayed more than one night at any CG, as we used the motor-home as a sightseer vehicle as we traveled between CG's.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #6

We spend over six month in our RV. There is no way we can be without a small car all that time.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I like to have my car. I have a 30 footer and it can be difficult without a car to get around. For sure you can use the car you already have if you use a tow dolly. I got an acme ez tow for about $2000.00 with an extra spare tire/rim, extra straps, and 10 year warranty on bearings etc. I don't even know it is there unless I look in the rear camera. Cost about 1/2 mpg. However if you are frequently moving to another location it can be a hassle loading and unloading the car. It is still better than not having a car though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2719.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	177258  
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #8

As to the original question...no, we don't all have toweds, but many do.

As said in a prior post, the need for a towed really depends on how you intend to use the motorhome. Below are a few observations from our experience...others may (will!!!) have different experiences and opinions.
  • We towed from day one of owning our motorhome...it was non-negotiable. I cannot imagine a trip without a separate vehicle for running around.
  • For us towing is very easy...our hook/unhook is 1-2 minutes all-in.
  • On a trip to Yellowstone last year I cringed every time I saw a Class C driving around looking for a parking spot at some of the smaller points of interest. We could just park our towed (a Ford C-MAX at that time, now a Ford F-150) in any spot.
  • It's nice to be able to hop in the towed and run to the store if we need something we may have forgotten, to go to dinner at a local restaurant or drive down a small road to explore (where no Class C could go).
  • For campgrounds that have power/water but no sewer connection, I have a pump to transfer gray water into a turd hauler (from which I've removed the wheels and keep in the bed of the F150), which I then run up to the dump station. Way more convenient than having to take down the motorhome just to dump, and with the smaller vehicle I can do this quickly. Having to do this in motorhome would be very tedious if staying for more than one night.
  • We don't have to rely on strangers or scheduled transportation for a ride...we have total freedom of movement. We've given ride to stranded campers before...happy to do it, and we've made some friends doing that...but we never want to be those folks.
  • Many people will have a motorcycle or moped on the hitch...which if you have no need to haul anything (and your hitch will support it) is another option that seems somewhat popular.

Charles L (post prior to mine) and I have the exact same Sunseeker. Charles uses a tow dolly, while I flat tow. Both are time-tested methods, but I personally would not want to have to deal with the dolly at the destination (but we do a lot of shorter trips, and quick connect/disconnect with no dolly storage is important to us).
Old 09-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #10

Where do you find a rv to rent that will let you tow something?
Old 09-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
Where do you find a rv to rent that will let you tow something?
At an RV dealer...you make a one-time rent-to-own payment. That's what we did!!!

I've often wondered if the RV rental companies allow trailer or vehicle towing. With a 10 second search on Google I found that Cruise America does allow towing. However, there's a weight restriction on what you can tow. From the FAQ on their site:

"We do allow towing with all sizes of our motorhomes. Towing is not allowed with Truck Campers. The motorhomes are only equipped with a receiver hitch, so you would need to provide your own tow bar. No towing apparatus or hook-up services are provided under any circumstances. Customer must declare intention to tow prior to departure and warrant that towing weight is within 2,500 lb. tow weight restrictions. A daily towing charge will be imposed. Cruise America provides no collision or liability coverage for damage to the towed object or for third- party injury inflicted by the towed object, under any circumstances."

2500 lbs eliminates most of the vehicles you'd want to tow.

I've seen a few Smart Cars flat towed behind motorhomes, and some of those are under 2500 lbs. They have little power and many consider them unsafe if they came into contact with a stationary object or a vehicle travelling at any speed different than they are travelling. However, I hear they are easy to wipe off the windshield of any vehicle that might hit them.

If you had a small flatbed or cargo trailer, you could perhaps tow a motorcycle or two.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:41 PM   #12

When we were looking for our motorhome we came upon another couple who where downsizing from a class A to a class C. They gave us their opinion on not using a toad with a class C as you could use a car rental numerous times before spending $2k...

We took that advice and purchased a 24í Class C that has a rear slide for a queen bed. When we do explore the area there is ample parking for our MH. We also donít pack up everything at the CG if we are returning. I know it is a trust issue with some, but we havenít had one issue with leaving chairs, grill, tables etc... out in our site.

We have been around a lot of the country and the ONLY place we have rented so far is in Las Vegas going to the strip...

Good luck and find a floor plan that you like first and donít waver away from that decision!
Our BENZ Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with Diane & Murray--I have a 24ft Class C, I now very seldom use a toad. Prior RV's were 31 and 36ft Class A and I always used my Suzuki toad.
The 2016 Sprinter Class C has been thru the mountains in the Carolinas and Georgia, sightseeing and travelling - with over 25K miles. The toad has mainly been used if I have to drop the RV off at the dealers.

I've only rented a car once and that was at Niagara Falls, easier to use on day trips into Canada.
To set up or break camp only takes 10 minutes and I usually leave cones at the site to show it's in use.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #14

We have a Wrangler toad, because it can do the off-road stuff that lets us see more real critters and scenery than Disney can ever make in plastic.
But, some folks are not that adventurous.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, newbie, toads