Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #15

So now I have the LP Gas stove and oven figured out.Turn on main valve at tank and Tried all burners and oven.Oven has standing pilot,always on I assume. Now I am testing 3 way fridge on 110 electric. So far it seems to be cooling ok.When I switch to 12v does anyone know if it switches to "house " battery or engine battery?(I am still pricing Deep cycle house batteries.) I hooked up my water hose to city water .Could hear black/grey tanks filling I think.Water comming out of sink tap.But thats all ,I disconnected city water until I figure out how to shut off hot water tank drain valve, water continues to pour out, anyone on all of the above? (Happy Canada Day!)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I believe your fridge will typically run off of your chassis batteries.

I'm guessing what you heard when you connected to city water was your fresh water tank filling and not the black/grey tanks. There should be a mechanical valve near your city water connection with a label that indicates "fill". If that's "on" your fresh water tank will be filling. I think the valve being in the "fill" position will impact the water pressure (if any) that you see in the coach.

If the hot water tank drain you're referring to is the pressure relief valve... there should be a small lever/handle on it. When the handle is pointed out, it opens the valve and when pushed flat it closes it.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #17

Thanks RickO. I will check more for the releif valve.Another problem was discovered today.Remember this is a 35 year coach. Well we went for another leasurely drive with my wife and 2 dogs .Trying to gain some driving experience and letting the 4 leggers adapt,before going on a longer journey. Also to get the cobwebs out a bit.Anyhow, we stopped for gas.I figured it would take quite a bit to fill.However I stopped because I didn't know how much the tank would hold.So I go into pay for fuel.I look out and notice on the right rear side of the camper fuel pouring out.So not to alarm the cashier I quickly pay and exit.I check under and see fuel comming from somewhere near the top of the tank.Finally it slows to nothing. Now I don't think a gas tank has an overflow, right? But the needle on the gas gage reads 3/4 full. But the rest of the ride home 30 minutes later was fine.No sign of gas leak ,like nothing happened.So what does anyone think is happening here?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Don't let all the little problems get you down. You'll just work through them and when you're though she'll be purrin' like a kitten.

That gas tank thing is bad though. Hopefully some of our members will have some suggestions. I think if gas tanks do have an overflow, it's in the filler neck and certainly shouldn't dump more than a few ounces.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #19

Thanks Rick.Ya We'll keep at it until everything is working the way it should.This coach's former owner pretty much neglected her. Basically abusing ,and not fixing when he should.But we rescued it,because he was going to sell it to someone who was going to park it and live in it.Not make it road worthy. That would have been the end of the traveling days for her. I call it her because my wife does LOL. There is nowhere to go but up from here on in...
Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #20

Here are some pics of rv hardware.One shows potable water connection, city water connection.Whats the difference.The water heater,the bottom shows white ring with metal spout which water pours out of no matter what position releif valve is in.But has marked on it ,clockwise close ,the other way open.This may stop the tank from emptying .The battery bay for one large 12v.Then pic of tank dump cap and pipe.The black/grey valves can be seen to left and right.How do they work? grey on left? or right. Tried them ,pull outward which I think is open..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC4705.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	23155   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC4707.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	23156  

Name:	GEDC4708.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	23157   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC4712.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	23158  

Name:	GEDC4713.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	23159  
Old 07-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtodd View Post
Here are some pics of rv hardware.One shows potable water connection, city water connection.Whats the difference.
Potable water looks like a gravity feed for filling your fresh water tank, city water is for connecting a pressurized source so you don't have to run your pump.

Quote:
The water heater,the bottom shows white ring with metal spout which water pours out of no matter what position releif valve is in.But has marked on it ,clockwise close ,the other way open.This may stop the tank from emptying .
That's the drain plug. Previous owner may have put a valve in there. If the valve cannot be closed you can safely buy a plug and replace it. It should just unscrew (with some effort).
Quote:
The battery bay for one large 12v.
Make sure the tray is solid, and not rusted through. Get rid of the surface rust and paint with rustoleum. Those wires look like they're just running through a hole punched in the metal. Bad idea. Make sure they cannot rub and become shorted. They also look very (very) small compared to other ones I have seen.
Quote:
Then pic of tank dump cap and pipe.The black/grey valves can be seen to left and right.How do they work? grey on left? or right. Tried them ,pull outward which I think is open..
Hard to say which is which for sure. You should be able to twist the big cap counter-clockwise about 1/4 turn and have it come off. There you can connect your big sewer hose for dumping. Dump black tank first, then gray to flush out the hose.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #22

Yes Ramblin we have some more work to do.The potable water/city water I now understand. The drain plug for the heater was last left in the open position.The white ring is difficult to rotate closed.I will try pliers to try to move it.The battery bay ,well the wires do look small to me also.But they look like 12 or 14 ga. They run to the other side of the box .The white wire is attatched to the metal bay box.The black wire runs into a white plastic circular thing with other wires exiting the bottom of it. As for the dump valves ,I had another look and the left one is grey in colour and the right is black.Also a photo of the back of the water heater. A pic of my refrigerator,controls.Refrigerator seems to work on 110v. On max the freezer gets down to 0C or lower.The main section to about 20 C. But after it seems to warm again and freezer defrosts.Found the manual for it online ,we'll have to do some reading on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GEDC4715.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	23183   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC4720.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	23184  

Name:	GEDC4721.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	23185  
Old 07-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #23

Hi all .So I did some more checking today.Put a volt meter on the battery bay connections.Plugged the rv into 110v.No voltage present.Started the rv ran the motor a while, and still no voltage present.Is there no charger on this rv? I want to buy a house battery .The largest I can fit is one that has 205 reserve minutes.I did a test.I put a spare starting battery on the house connections.Wanted to find out what it powers.Found out it powers all 12v lights, and tank level meters,and water pump.Is there another way to find out if something on board charges it? On to my 3 way fridge.Tried switching it again to 110v, and plugged in rv.The outside coils get very warm .After a few hours the freezer part gets cool.The main fridge a little cool.6 hours later freezer peaks at 0c. The fridge not cold.Then the freezer begins to thaw,and warms up.So does the fridge.I downloaded the manual.But I don't understand if I am forgetting to do some thing .
Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #24

Forgot to mention while doing power tests inside rv,for house battery.After finding out that all 12v lights are powered,checked 110v outlets,no power.So I don't think rv has an inverter, will have to buy one.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #25

Fridge

So now I have the fridge running 2 days.The freezer is -10c, nice and cold.The main fridge not cold at all.Is there a switch or valve to open for that part? Cause I can't get it to get cold at all.The cooling fins are slightly cool to the touch thats all. Anyone?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #26

OK. So ...can anyone help me out on any of the above, to give pointers.Would appreciate it. This is my first rv ever. Totally new to me I'm starting at zero on the learning curve. Ive read much but need practical expertice. thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Todd...

Since it looks like replies have dried up in the Vintage RV forum, I've moved you to the Class C forum and hopefully we'll get some more advice for you soon.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
OK. So ...can anyone help me out on any of the above, to give pointers.Would appreciate it. This is my first rv ever. Totally new to me I'm starting at zero on the learning curve. Ive read much but need practical expertice. thanks

Is your coach level? I have seen posts on other forums where freezer was cold but fridge was not caused by the coach being (significantly) unlevel.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote