Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #29

Thanks for the move Rick. Yes ramblin I will check for level,that just may be the case here. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtodd View Post
Thanks for the move Rick. Yes ramblin I will check for level,that just may be the case here. Thanks.
RV fridges need to be level to be happy. I don't know HOW level is happy-level. I've heard people say if you are comfortable walking/sleeping/etc, then your fridge should be happily cooling. I've also read that if an egg rolls off the countertop, it's not level enough for the fridge.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #31

Yes so I made up some raised platform boards, last night.Now fridge an MH is very close to level as I could get it.Bubble is still within the 2 lines.check fridge this morning super cold, almost too cold as my control was on max.Freezer so cold when door is opened cold vapor comes pouring out.Problem solved.Thanks Ramblin. Now on to the water heater drain, house battery and grey/black tank systems.Also gas tank leak got to have it checked out. Have to educate on those above items.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #32

Water Heater

When I hook up to city water outlet, Hot water tank seems to fill. Also black tank seems to fill.I can turn kitchen taps and get water, same with shower. I must be doing something wrong here. Because I thought black tank fills only with toilet.Also under rv, under hot water tank,2 rubber tubes exit .When I hooked up city water water comes out of one of them,continuous. I have a pic here. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC4736.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	23427  
Old 07-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
My only guess is some RVs have a secondary valve beyond the city water connection that will flush the black tank and of course fill it if left open.

That tube is an overflow tube. The other probably a drain tube, both for fresh water tank. So it seems you are filling the tank on city water. That would indicate a failed check valve to the water tank.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
My only guess is some RVs have a secondary valve beyond the city water connection that will flush the black tank and of course fill it if left open.

That tube is an overflow tube. The other probably a drain tube, both for fresh water tank. So it seems you are filling the tank on city water. That would indicate a failed check valve to the water tank.
I agree on the failed check valve theory but man, I would want no part of a system which tied my fresh water tank to my black tank in any way.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #35

Hmm,clyon.. when you say fresh water tank. Do you mean Tank for on board use without city connection? Like with pump? The 2 tubes in pic are directly below heater tank under rv. My fill for fresh water is completely seperate. See Above photos I had posted earlier...
Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO

I agree on the failed check valve theory but man, I would want no part of a system which tied my fresh water tank to my black tank in any way.

Rick
They don't. When I hook up the hose, the first valve will divert that water to the black tank for rinsing. With that closed, it goes to a second valve which diverts water to the tank or city water system. Besides that they have backflow preventers.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtodd
Hmm,clyon.. when you say fresh water tank. Do you mean Tank for on board use without city connection? Like with pump?
Yes, thats what they look like.

Quote:
The 2 tubes in pic are directly below heater tank under rv. My fill for fresh water is completely seperate. See Above photos I had posted earlier...
Ok you have separate fills. If those tubes are coming from water heater then there must be a drain valve connected to them someplace, probably acessable at the heater.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #38

On 2nd page of this thread I have posted outside rv ,front pic of heater.Further down last pic shows inside rv behind heater.Connections on the back with anode rod visible.However I can't find any drain valve.I just may have to go back to previous owner of rv.Maybe he can remember how it all works.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
They don't. When I hook up the hose, the first valve will divert that water to the black tank for rinsing. With that closed, it goes to a second valve which diverts water to the tank or city water system. Besides that they have backflow preventers.
I didn't realize they built them that way.

So there is a plumbed connection between the black tank and fresh water tank which relies on the integrity of valves and back flow preventers to keep the contents of each apart. Wow.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I didn't realize they built them that way.

So there is a plumbed connection between the black tank and fresh water tank which relies on the integrity of valves and back flow preventers to keep the contents of each apart. Wow.

Rick
Wow +1.

@rvtodd: Most often there is a completely separate water connection to flush the black tank. I have never heard of a plumbed connection between fresh water and black water. Could this have been added by a PO?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin

Wow +1.

@rvtodd: Most often there is a completely separate water connection to flush the black tank. I have never heard of a plumbed connection between fresh water and black water. Could this have been added by a PO?
Yes it could have and probably was after some thought. My description was off a bit and could use futher explanation.

The first water connection is to a Y fitting. That has a shut off valve at each Y end. Normal operation is valve closed to black and open towards water system. If you want water to black tank, which enters from the very top, not the bottom, you close valve to water system and open the one to the black.

This is not done without existing water pressure. So with water flowing at 40+ psi into the top of the tank, not the bottom, there no chance of anything coming the other way, especially when under pressure and the valve is 4ft from the tank. If some idiot did open both valves with no water pressure, then I guess that's why the backflow preventer is there.....I dunno.

Beyond the water system shut off valve is another valve which diverts water to the fresh tank or city water system.

Since I only use bacteria in my black tank, I don't flush it anyway, just defeats the purpose. However, I would have absolutely no problem using it as outlined above.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #42

There is a connection on the sewer cap for a garden hose, in a previous pic I posted. Also I contacted PO and he is going to show me how everything works in this rv.