Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #1

Newbie Questions

I remember the Hindenburg well.So I guess this gas is dangerous to say the least.So what are my options, just the highest amp/hour 12 volt I can fit into the battery tray?Are 6v batteries still same size as 12v? Not sure 2 will fit in there. I will have to have a look at my other side storage.It is presently occupied by a portable bbq in there for camp use.Also tried looking for pointers on here for black/grey tank use such as pumping out when full. Water tank/ pump use also .Thanks for your help Ramblin.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have moved your post into its own thread so as not to hijack the "post your pictures" thread it was posted in.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #3

Thanks RickO . I am new to the forum (and rv'in) .I originally posted because of the photo,and forgot I was in the photo thread when asking oops. So we will now know where to ask questions. Thanks again...
Old 06-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #4

I measured my battery bay.It slides out on driver side.It measures for a 12 in battery,but total length is 14.5 inches.I am wondering if I can use the opposite side of rv where bbq and spare parts are stored.It is large enough to fit 2 6v together or even large 12v.It has a vented door also.But it would mean routing the wires from the battery bay on other side to under rv up into larger one with longer wires. Does anyone think this is workable? Or should I just use the bay I have? thanks
Old 06-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It'll be interesting to see what replies you get on this. I'd say to make sure that the compartment you're looking at is extremely well vented because you sure don't want a build up of any gasses in there.

Another way to go would be to use AGM batteries which are sealed and don't outgas... but they're pretty expensive. Then again, if you need to go with new battery cables that are really long that can be pricey too.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #6

Well, the compartment I'm talking about is behind rear wheels.Measures about 20in by 45in.Has 2in of screen vents at top.More vented than the actual bay.I think it was used for generator storage,maybe? But has portable bbq and spare belts in it now from previous owner.The distance in cable needed may be about10-15 ft. I just wondered if anyone has had to move battery locations because of restricted space. I only want more amp hours avaliable to me incase I don't plug into outside power.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:40 AM   #7

I don't know what RV your talking about and I am too old and cranky to run down what ever thread you have posted elsewhere.Might I suggest you put that into your signature so it's there everytime you post.Here is what I did with my 1981 Warrior.I added another deep cell battery by making a tray for the engine battery on the wheel well and then putting the second house battery there.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
A Trojan T-105 6v GC battery has these demensions:

L 10 3/8
W 7 1/8
H 10 7/8

You can certainly have batteries in 2 locations with the following criteria:

1. The location must support the weight. 62lbs apiece.

2. The area must be vented.

3. The further away from the BCC, the heavier the gauge of the wire must be to eliminate voltage drop.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #9

We are looking at options for battery placement. Not sure what to do yet.This does give me ideas though.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #10

Another question about my georgieboy. The rear pedestal table is suppose to come appart to form a bed. The table measures exactly where the seat ledge boards are,so I know it goes there.However the table is able to spin round but doesn't seem to detatch.The pedestal pole doesn't twist either.It's firmly bolted to the floor .Don't see any latches of any sort. So anyone have ideas? thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
There is that mount on the floor, there is another mount under the table. The pedistal is just a hollow pipe that fits into those two mounts.

Get a hold on the table with your hands on opposite sides. Pull firmly and twist and rock back and forth. It will come apart at the floor or table. If only the table comes off, just do the same to the pipe until it comes out of the floor mount.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #12

Georgie Boy Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtodd View Post
Another question about my georgieboy. The rear pedestal table is suppose to come appart to form a bed. The table measures exactly where the seat ledge boards are,so I know it goes there.However the table is able to spin round but doesn't seem to detatch.The pedestal pole doesn't twist either.It's firmly bolted to the floor .Don't see any latches of any sort. So anyone have ideas? thanks
In my 1978 Georgie Boy-the floor mount stays there-the chrome pipe comes out of the floor and the table-maybe apply a little penetrating oil around the bottom of the tube where it meets the floor mount-floor mount is aluminum-and pipe is steel-different metals setup corrosion-Thanks-Al
Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
There is that mount on the floor, there is another mount under the table. The pedistal is just a hollow pipe that fits into those two mounts.

Get a hold on the table with your hands on opposite sides. Pull firmly and twist and rock back and forth. It will come apart at the floor or table. If only the table comes off, just do the same to the pipe until it comes out of the floor mount.
I will try penetrating oil as well as the above.Obviously the table hasn't been converted in a while.I don't think the camper was used much the past 4 years for the previous owner.Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #14

Alrighty we have it.The wd40 did the trick.Now all of the sleeping areas are figured out.Now we have to re-enforce the lower panels behind the wheels.The lower part of the plywood is rotted out.So I may have to insert new pieces and bolt in place and run side re-enforcement bars to keep in place...