Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 06:36 PM   #1

Newbie questions...

Apologize in advance if i didnt search the forums enough before asking.....So we're ready to pull the trigger on either a 2013 26xs Redhawk or 2016 26qb leprechaun. .. neither have jacks, both E450. Is this something some of you do-it-yourself types would take on? What system does everyone like and what should I expect to pay? I was just quoted $8k from DDRV feel like that's high seeing how some systems are going for $3700 online...
They also have the 5,000lb hitch, being that I'll be flat towing a bronco or enclosed trailer, I'd feel more comfortable with a 7klb hitch, is that just a trip to the hitch depot or is there something more to that?
Thanks
Brian

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #2

another newbie here, but we do quite well without leveling jacks. I'd suggest you try it without before a big outlay of $.
As for the hitch, my 2 cents, flat tow capability is usually greater than the trailer capacity listed on the hitch. I have seen one on a Holiday Rambler said 3500# capacity for trailer,,,,,,,,,,,, or 5,000# flat tow........ same hitch.
hopefully some more experienced folks will weigh in.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog86r View Post
another newbie here, but we do quite well without leveling jacks. I'd suggest you try it without before a big outlay of $.
As for the hitch, my 2 cents, flat tow capability is usually greater than the trailer capacity listed on the hitch. I have seen one on a Holiday Rambler said 3500# capacity for trailer,,,,,,,,,,,, or 5,000# flat tow........ same hitch.
hopefully some more experienced folks will weigh in.
I hear you on the jacks but we do a lot of desert/mountain camping and it's not like pulling into a asphalt park. My parents 24ft C and in laws 28ft C both have them and couldn't imagine digging holes or stacks of 2ft high blocks to get the coach right. Plus I like stepping into the MH and not feeling it rock back and forth.

The hitch would be more of insurance incase I trailer my bronco or really load the enclosed bike trailer... I'm all about safety when I have my babies with me.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #4

Newbie questions...

If the 2016 you are looking at is going to be ordered, it's often far less expensive to add the jacks at purchase time than later....not so much if it's off the lot or used...just a thought. Either way $8,000 seems very high for class c jacks.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalkerpa1 View Post
If the 2016 you are looking at is going to be ordered, it's often far less expensive to add the jacks at purchase time than later....not so much if it's off the lot or used...just a thought. Either way $8,000 seems very high for class c jacks.
Agreed, just got a quote for 4k which isn't too far from the manf upgrade.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:24 AM   #6

Have a Leprachaun 260DSC 2015, don't really feel the need for jacks just level with Camco three position yellow ramps, have four of them. Had the dealer install two rear hand crank stabilizers but don't really need them it is pretty stable without them down.

Tags