Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #1

Newbie taking first road trip NJ to ME

Hi! We are taking our first road trip from NJ to ME in a few weeks. Can anyone recommend a stop along the way? We will be leaving in the evening and would like to travel a few hours, then stop for the night. We would like to try staying overnight at a Walmart or rest area. We were thinking of taking 84 to 90 to 495 to 95. Any suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks! Also, is there a website that can help map out Walmarts and rest areas or is it best to rely on these forums?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Hello and welcome to the forum. I live in Massachusetts but used to travel to N.J. to visit my family. It was a 4 hr. ride for me. If you wanted to to travel for a "few hours" you could perhaps head to Sturbridge, Ma. It is right near Rt. 84 and offers Old Sturbridge Village, a nice place to visit. It is a recreation of how folks lived in colonial times. As far as staying at WalMart goes I can't say for sure. I am new to RVing and was unaware that RVer's could even spend the night in a WalMart but evidently it is done all the time. When I approached the store manager of the Super WalMart here in Northbridge, Ma. they said that they "don't allow overnight parking for RV'rs" I discussed that with some coworkers as to why WalMart doesn't allow that and he said that maybe it's because there are a few campgrounds around and they don't like that idea. Whatever. I have read here that some folks arrive at the WalMarts around 10ish, PU a few essentials, and then are gone by 6:00 a.m. That seems reasonable to me. I can't see why anyone would complain about that. But I am just giving you a heads up as to what the policy is in that particular WalMart. If it were me, i would arrive late, spend the night, and leave early just like another forum member said that he does. I would take the chance. But that is just me, I tend to try my luck. Whatever you decide I hope it works out for you!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Walmart RV policies differ from store to store, at the whim of the manager and also by restrictions imposed by local ordinance. Always check with the manager of the Walmart you wish to stay at, otherwise you may get the dreaded 2am "wakeup call".
There is an thread on this forum entitled "Walmart's Parking" which has over 4000 replies, more than you' ever need to (or want to) know about overnighting at Wally World.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #4

travelling NJ to ME

I checked my Walmart guide book and your options are a little slim on the route you outlined. Generally, if a Walmart is out by itself, they will let you overnight out on the perimeter. Our first night out in our rig, we did the overnight but we also spent a lot outfitting our rig at the store. I checked with the manager and she OK'd it. There were a few others also coming in later. Most of the more rural Walmarts are really nice. It's business and Walmart, as a company, likes to be friendly. I would be shy about running the generator too much, but otherwise, you're OK.
As far as your trip - on I-495 - exit 38 and 47 are maybe's - exit 33 is a "no". In Conn I-84 exit 37 and 45 are your only possible. Not much else along that route.
Hope this helps. Have fun!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most Walmarts that do not allow overnights are due to town/city regulations against it, although a few are by manager decision. Most Cabellas Stores allow overnights and some even have dumping stations. There is one in East Hartford, CT which is not too far off of 84. You might call the store to check on their policy. Cabela's: Store Information - East Hartford, CT

Also, here is a link to the Walmarts that do not allow overnight parking. It is long and alphabetical by state.http://www.walmartatlas.com/no-park-walmarts
Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #6

Lola,

Between anywhere NJ and the nearest part of ME there is something you should see about every ten minutes. I am not even going to start on my list of recommendations just now.

What I am going to recommend is that you go to The Discovery Owners data site learn how to add the data to the navigation package I hope you plan to use. You will need to travel with a computer and since you will have that with Street Alas, Strips and Treets or Crowpilot, you will also want Gasbuddy. Gasbuddy will only work where you can find wire, so get used to looking for a MickyD or Panera unless you have a smartphone you can tether.

This may sound complicated, but when you learn to work it, you travel will be much more enjoyable.

Matt - used to live out there.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All the OP wants is a place to stop overnight.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola2012 View Post
Hi! We are taking our first road trip from NJ to ME in a few weeks. Can anyone recommend a stop along the way? We will be leaving in the evening and would like to travel a few hours, then stop for the night. We would like to try staying overnight at a Walmart or rest area. We were thinking of taking 84 to 90 to 495 to 95. Any suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks! Also, is there a website that can help map out Walmarts and rest areas or is it best to rely on these forums?
Will try to help but "NJ to Maine" may vary by a few hundred miles.

You mention Walmarts, I think you have enough feedback already on that.

There is one highway 84 rest area just after you cross from NY to Conn that allows overnite parking. It is a truckers rest area as well. Beware of your surroundings.

Yogi Bear Campground in Sturbridge Mass is an easy off for an overnite. We personally do not like it. Too many kids, dirt sites, dump station is up in the woods, not big rig friendly. Your on your on, on that decision.

Maine highway rest areas do not allow overnite parking. Having said that, I have seen many RV's with the front draps shut during late hours. Not sure what they are doing.(?)

There is a Cabala's in Scarborough Maine just off 95. The town ordinance does not allow overnites in the parking area. There is a free dump station and water available around the back side of the store. You can see it from the highway on the right headed north.

Hope this helps. Ask again if we can help more.

Try www.visitmaine.com

There are endless possibilities for campgrounds along the way in Maine but not sure what part of Maine you are headed to. It's only 400 miles from one end to the other.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags