Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #1

Newbie with Heating & Range problems

Hi great site, have read few blogs on some of the issues I have with a 1995 Damon C class.
1. Pilot light, lights in the range but will not kick into full burner? I have clean what I can without taking the range out.
2. Our furnace only blows cold air. It was working ok one night and then stopped putting out heat!? I have clean and cleared mud swasp nests out but still no heat.

Any advice/ help welcome
JazzGbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #2

can't help you in the range but the furnace has many little things that will keep it from heating. one thing that did happen to me a few times is the batteries are not charged up full, and this will keep the heat from coming on. the sail switch, and heat sensor, and the gas valve all have something to do with it too. if you are not able to test these things, I suggest you take it in for service and have a knowledgeable tech look at it.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGbr View Post
Hi great site, have read few blogs on some of the issues I have with a 1995 Damon C class.
1. Pilot light, lights in the range but will not kick into full burner? I have clean what I can without taking the range out.
there should be four tubes from the pilot light to the burners and you should check to see if these tubes are blocked. If you had mud wasps in your furnace there's a good chance you had these or similar in your stove.
Quote:
2. Our furnace only blows cold air. It was working ok one night and then stopped putting out heat!? I have clean and cleared mud swasp nests out but still no heat.

Any advice/ help welcome
This is something I cannot help you with, without being there as there are tests you can do to see what has failed. Depends on the make model of the furnace to figure out what the problem is.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #4

Hey Jazz, are the stove and heater in a slide? If so, you may have a kinked gas line. Try the stove with the slide in. I have seen this on other blogs and turned out to be a kinked hose that kinked when the slide was extended. If no slide, check the gas lines under the coach for kinks as iron pipe to copper tube is used. The gas plumbing iron pipes are required to be outside the living aria and only copper tubing allowed inside and sounds like a common problem.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Will the burners light on top I'm thinking they will because the pilot will stay lit, light the pilot and leave the stove alone don't turn it up leave knob on pilot setting and let it heat the probe sometimes it will take some time for it to light mainly if it's not been used much or been sitting a while.

The furnace will it go through the procedure for lighting the 15sec blow then start to light. you going to have pull the burner out and clean the critters off of it also.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #6

Thanks everyone all good things for me to check. Have been on the rd the last two day, so sorry for the late reply.
I did manage to clean and check the furnace and got it fired up. It did stop working the following day when the battery was not fully charged!? Is this normal, if do how are you supposed to run your furnace if static for a week or so?
Thanks for the information on the range I will try all the recommendations tomorrow or after our next 6hr drive...
Many thanks all, great help!
Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Your battery or batterys might be a little weak, if boondocking the battery will not last forever we all know that so a little gennie is neede to charge then up, but happy it all working
Old 11-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Reviewing these should help sort your furnace problems.

http://www.rverscorner.com/furnace1.html

http://www.marksrv.com/furnace_trouble_shooting.htm

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-furnace-problems.html
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #9

Many thanks again.
One last question ref the batteries and boon-docking. I have seen RV, 5th wheels parked up not running a Gennie, do they do some sort of main inverter DIY to keep the 12v for the furnace?
Many thanks again to all, learning lots :-)
Old 11-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
When boondocking you have 3 things to rely on for power and how long it lasts. The storage capacity of the batteries which should be true deep cycle and rated in Amp-Hours (AH). The more AH, the longer you can go before a re-charge.

Serious booners have a solar setup. Depending on size (watt output) this increases the time before needing to run the genny. With enough solar and AHs in the batteries, this can be indefinitely. Then the genny is only used for AC. That's the basis, no magic here.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #11

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Should it last after 4hr of driving & then on through the night? Might need to change/ check mine as it will not last through the night at the moment even with 4-6hr drive times!?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Driving always charges your batteries, unless that system isn't working. So after 4 hours, your battery should be good to go. Even 1 decent battery will run a furnace for one night. If not, you have a bad battery or your charging system while driving isn't working.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #13

Thanks, charging seems to last a night so that's working, was just unsure how long it should last.
So I am now thinking of getting a battery charger for when boon-docking so the battery is charged enough to run the furnace should we stop longer than a night?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Sorry but your house batteries should last more than overnight. I'd get them tested and more than likely replaced. If you're boondocking the charger isn't going to help you as the only thing you may find to plug into would be a currant bush.

Running your generator would charge the house batteries if required.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, newbie