Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2011, 06:37 AM   #1

Newbie with question about driving when it is windy.

We have had our Class C for a little over 2 months. Never have driven it when it has been windy (12 +mph winds).
I know this might be a stupid question.....
Is it normal to have to hold the steering wheel to one side or the other to maintain a straight line when compensating for the wind?
I know it is like driving a big sail down the road.
We normally drive smaller cars so maybe we are just not used to it. With the cars it is merely a small adjustment to hold the straight line.
I had it out the other day when the winds were over 12mph and I had to almost hold the wheel at 10 o'clock to just go straight.
Thanks
AXG1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
i have had both a "c" 09 holiday rambler on a e450 chassis and now a f53 chassis
when windy i tend to stay around 55mph (usually about 63mph) and we do sometimes drift a bit just seem to take a little more correction , as you get more comfortable with your rig it will become more comfortable to drive. you dont state your year but it appears to be late 90-08 you want to be sure to check your tire age,condition and air pressure also have shocks and suspension
most of all safe travels and welcome to my favorite form
brianj
Old 10-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #3

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXG1040 View Post
We have had our Class C for a little over 2 months. Never have driven it when it has been windy (12 +mph winds).
I know this might be a stupid question.....
Is it normal to have to hold the steering wheel to one side or the other to maintain a straight line when compensating for the wind?
I know it is like driving a big sail down the road.
We normally drive smaller cars so maybe we are just not used to it. With the cars it is merely a small adjustment to hold the straight line.
I had it out the other day when the winds were over 12mph and I had to almost hold the wheel at 10 o'clock to just go straight.
Thanks
welcome to the forum. we have had to do the same thing on windy days,but not as far to 10 o'clock. On a non windy day does the steering wheel stay centered. Just thinking you may have an alignment issue. Maybe a steering stabilizer may be helpful. There are a lot of people with a lot more experience than I on the forum. They may have ideas that would be helpful. safe travels, and it is NOT a stupid question.
henryn, 2011 winnebago view, smithfield NC
henryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #4

It is a 2006 Lazy Daze on a E450 chassis. I bought it used and it came with HD shocks and a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer. I just installed a rear trac bar this weekend and after the install I drove it to the storage lot and it was very windy. This is when I noticed it.
I think I need to take it out again this week and hit a few different roads.
I also just put new tires on about a month ago along with an alignment at a place that only does alignments.
I just wanted to see if it was normal to have to hold the wheel at 10 o'clock when the wind was blowing hard. I am very new to this and wanted to see if this was normal.
Should I have got the alignment after the track bar was installed?
AXG1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #5

Thumbs up

driveing this things can be FUN. depends on tire age, etc., as brianj says. we have a 09 fleetwood tioga 31ft. and yes during windy conditions,i have to hold the wheel, however, pay attention that this is not happen during normal conditions.if so, check it out. we also are newbies. went to laast rally in va.had a blast.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We had a 31 class C Minnie that was also on the E450 chassis and yes winds especially from the right direction made you work to drive it. It was also an unwelcome surprise when a tractor trailer zoomed by passing us. There was kind of a bump to the side when the wind from it caught up to us. You will get used to it.

Our class A being bigger and heavier is not as bad but you still get pushed around in enough wind.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #7

Oh man, I live in a very windy area where 45 mph winds are not uncommon. Now I drive a comparatively light motorhome but Ive never had too much problems. As everyone says it's normal to have the wheel turned a little. That reminds me of a time were I had to rush back to the ferry (it boards at 7am and I was camped about two and a half hours away). So I was cruising back when the winds picked up near this cliff edge. I found out that the winds were 65+mph that day. I've gotta say, that was the only time I've been scared while driving in the wind. It was out on a remote island so I just drove down the middle of the road because the wind was pushing me around so much.
AKwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags