Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #1

Lightbulb Newbie with questions....

Hey Y'all. I am so excited to be part of the 'rv club', and I cant wait to get out on the road again!! We have a 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS

But I have a few questions:
1. Is there a way to switch the TV (and DVD player) to run off of the chassis battery (as in a regular car)? (we have a 3 yr old)

2. We have a towing capacity of 5K, we have a Titan that weighs 4880 lbs, we'd like to flat tow it. But I read somewhere, that it's a little bit to big to run behind the RV.

3. And lastly, we'd like to take a road trip from Southern California to Niagara Falls - what type of fuel economy should I expect (travelling lightly).

Thanks!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeussParents View Post
Hey Y'all. I am so excited to be part of the 'rv club', and I cant wait to get out on the road again!! We have a 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS

But I have a few questions:
1. Is there a way to switch the TV (and DVD player) to run off of the chassis battery (as in a regular car)? (we have a 3 yr old)

2. We have a towing capacity of 5K, we have a Titan that weighs 4880 lbs, we'd like to flat tow it. But I read somewhere, that it's a little bit to big to run behind the RV.

3. And lastly, we'd like to take a road trip from Southern California to Niagara Falls - what type of fuel economy should I expect (travelling lightly).

Thanks!!!
1. If you plug an inverter into a 12volt outlet up front that will probably run off the chassis battery. Then obviously you would have to plug the tv and dvd into the inverter. I'm assuming your tv and dvd operate at 120V.

2. I would think you would be leaving the Titan at home. That is just to close to the towing limit to probably take a chane. Of course this gives you an excuse to go shopping for a smaller new toad.

3. Don't know what size power plant you have but we average 7.5-8 mpg with our 8.1 gas power plant.

By the way WELCOME to the forum.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #3

Thank You so much for replying. I'd like a Jeep Wrangler - with NO doors. My huz-b says not so much!

We were told by an RV tech that RV's were not meant to roll down the freeway with the TV/DVD on, so therefore you MUST run the genset. Which obviously using more gas! So I am looking for a different way to power that baby up, and my keep my 3 yr old entertained!

We are running with a Ford V10 Chassis - so I assume that fuel economy wouldnt be that great.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #4

Mileage is about right (7-9 mpg). A small inverter that you plug into the accessory outlet will power a portable DVD player as well as charge cell phones, etc.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #5

Welcomw to the forum...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #6

I have the same power... Sorry cant call it that lol.... Engine. It's in our 06 forrester on my current trip 10,000 miles since sept we have averaged 6.9 mpg.

Good luck and enjoy it
Old 01-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #7

I think there's some sort of national safety rule that TV cannot be on when the vehicle is moving if it's viewable by the driver. If yours is front & center, that's why it disconnects when the ignition is turned on. My 02 Georgetown had a 115V household socket in the overhead cabinet with a 12V relay that was switched by power to the ignition to do that disconnect job. Easily unplugged! You'd still need 115V AC from somewhere to power the TV and DVD (inverter or run the generator).

The systems you see in minvans are 12V DC powered and the displays are positioned for middle and back row seat passengers to watch, so the rule is met.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #8

TV is not viewable from front seats, so I guess the rule is met.... Wish I would have known about the whole inverter/generator deal BEFORE we signed the dotted line.... Making my list for the next RV!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The switch can be bypassed. If the driver can't see the TV or has the will power not to watch it then bypass it so the kids and DW can watch it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #10

Gen is very fuel efficient, also can run the fridge at the same time saving propane. In hot months will also run air conditioning, this is the way to go. Gives power back to V-10 and saves gas.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #11

We have an invertor that powers the TV, DVD player, microwave and refridgerator. We run the fridge and TV/DVD (for the grandkids) when going down the road. The invertor is powered from the house batteries and the engine alternator provides enough power to keep tne batteries charged.

Tags