Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
When we were looking to purchase our Class C we had 2 main decision points. 1. Floorplan 2. Storage. If you cant live with either, you will not enjoy your RV.

Now we are looking into RV #2, I have added a #3 to my list. Really the only thing my wife does not like about our current Class C is the movement in the camper when its setup. So leveling jacks has become my #3. If you are looking at newer Class Cs, leveling jacks are becoming more and more common in certain models.

RaisingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #16
Be careful - the leveling jacks take away from OCCC, which is already found wanting in many of the larger C's.

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #17
Lazy Daze 31' island Bed. That's what you want.
Bill Lynch
wblynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #18
After several years of towing a trailer we went through the same thing you are doing now. The one thing we looked at was having a chair across from the couch. This is for the convenience of your passengers to carry on a conversation. We have a couple of friends that just have the couch and if you have three people sitting there trying to carry on a conversation, it is kind of inconvenient. The slide out is nice.

Secondly, I have several in our traveling group that bought the Class A with all the bells and whistles and they have this vision of doing this entertaining in there rig. What actually happens is when you go some where .... You are OUTSIDE most of the time. Most RV people are outdoor people, they don't want to be inside. They want the RV there for the convenience of the kitchen and the bathroom after that, they are usually sitting outside, visiting, cooking etc. It is kind of funny, I have a good friend who spent almost $200,000 on their rig and every evening they are sitting in front of our little Class C. You want to invest in something, invest in some Gravity Chairs and a good BBQ pit/grill.
2011 Chateau 31 ft. (2005 Jeep Wrangler)
Dr. Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #19
Originally Posted by Dr. Den View Post
You want to invest in something, invest in some Gravity Chairs and a good BBQ pit/grill.
Very true! When I purchased my Class C, I ran across the Weekender made by Camp Chef. I have a BBQ attachment & a griddle for it. It has been absolutely the best 2 burner stove that I have ever owned & ever could imagine.

Weekender 2 Burner Tabletop Stove | Camp Chef
RaisingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #20
We looked for over six months. Twice had money down on two different class c. After test driving both a and c we bought class a, Thor Ace. Deciding factors were storage and ability to use cab seats as part of living space when stopped. Still like the class c but you will be amazed how fast the outside storage fills.
slhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were tent campers, them moved to a B and now have a class C. Floor plan is everything. We had the advantage of having the B for a few years first so we knew what we liked/disliked. As campers and not full timers we wanted several things and did not want others.

Full size queen bed/bedroom not sandwiched in a corner (we have different sleeping habits)
Not over 29' as we don't want to be too long for the sites we like to camp at.
Lots of cargo space.
E450 chassis as that would give us a wider wheelbase and be able to tow or carry as much as we want in a shorter C.

Did not want:
Slides - the bigger isle is nice but slides eat up the cargo capacity and the less mechanicals to fail the better. Still would have a lot more room than the tent or B so we won't miss not having them.
No motorized awning or steps - same reason, more to fail. Not if but when.

After six months of searching we found a used C with 17,000 miles on it that had been stored indoors. It was built better than the new ones with everything we wanted for under $30,000. The $40,000 difference will buy a lot of gas and at 26 feet it's under the max for the campsites we like. I's easy to drive and short enough so I can use pull through parking spaces. The tires were like new but had been recalled so we got a new set of Michelins for it free.

Make a list and start searching. Everyone's wants/needs are different. We had a $70,000 max price range we were looking in but everything new we saw new was thrown together and we did not like most of the floor plans. Many had almost no cargo carrying capacity (because of slides) so watch out.
2006 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
Toads: '15 Ford Focus, '10 Harley Softail Custom and '15 Harley Softail Deluxe
Upstate (the other) New York
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #22
I'm a female and I LOVE this coach. It is easy to drive, much easier than any C or A. 31 ft Coachmen Concord 300TS, only 9.5' tall! You don't have to worry driving this and even if I wanted a C or A, viewing the inside of many As, Cs, this one I found the most appealing in every way. Beautiful wrap around windows, 3 slides, and we saw one of these very reasonably priced, actually less than the 25 ft we were looking at. This is my fav if I were to go larger. We have a 25 ft B+ which is similar and it drives like a dream, don't have to worry about bridges, feels like you are driving a car. The floor plan is a little different than most too, it is just beautiful including the decor and very comfortable. I love every single thing about it. I prefer the 300TS to the DS. The Ford model has passenger and driver swivel seats which we also like.
Gallery - Concord - Coachmen RV

cjscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #23
We started out with a 26' Class C, about which, less said. soonest mended.

One major concern about long Class C rigs I have is how much rear overhang they have. We drove a couple of 31-footers when we were shopping and the tail swing scared me to death. My other concern was the loading of the rear axle. One rig we test drove, the salesman didn't come with us, so I went by a truck scale. With just me and DW onboard, no water, nothing in the waste tanks, none of our gear and only a 1/4 tank of gas, the rear axle weight was within 150 pounds of its limit.

We became Class A believers at that point and bought our current rig. Much more spacious up front and more pleasant to drive.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #24
We've owned two class A Airstream Land Yachts and now we have a new 26' Jayco, class C. Everybody has written great points to consider. Another point to consider is where you will keep this machine when you are not using it. We built metal carports in the back yard for our RV's which make me feel better. The carports are great protection for this North Carolina sunshine and our weather.

A big factor in our decision was our son. We have a son who turned 13 in May. He is just over 6' and still growing. He gets the big 90" x 60" bed over the cab. He has his own 32" flat screen that his PS4 game is connected to, right up there in his bunk area. In the class A's he had the fold down couch.

In about 10 years, we plan on selling this Jayco and buying something new, like the Airstream class B of today's Sprinter design. It should be just the two of us old retired folks and the smaller, easier to drive rig should be just the ticket.

Good Luck
Steve, Char, and our 6' tall 13 year old, Big D.
We are the 'Redhawk Gang' with a 2014 Jayco Redhawk 26xs, towing a 2005 Dodge Caravan on a Tow Dolly.
Redhawk Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:52 AM   #25
Well, I've had 3 5er's, 1 class C, and currently on my 1st class A to see if we like the A or C better. The 5er's and the class C were all new, the A is a 2000 Southwind. All my RVs, except the last 5er had booths and it had the table & chairs. We HATED the table & chairs, (no storage or bed). The last 5er didn't have a nightstand area on one side of the bed. We found out we really liked one on each side. I wouldn't have anything without at least one slide. We do like the bunk over the cab in the C's.
One thing I'll never forget is what one salesman told us when we bought our first MH. You don't want to too many comfortable beds because guest will end up staying too long.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #26
Im currently looking at a 2007 fleetwood jamboree28f noticed you are a member of fleetwood owners group any info or advice would be much apprieciated - thanx
Road sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #27
Thor Owners Club
I will say that parts and maintenance are much lower cost. Additionally, because the front end on a Class C is essentially the same as a van, pretty much as quick oil change company's will service your RV. Jiffy Lube and Synfast are my examples because their bays are tall and about ten feet wide, which is perfect for my 28A.

2000 Four Winds 5000 Model 28A
FW5000DRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote

class c, newbie, newbies