Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #1

Newby Buying a Winnebaga Access Premier 31JP

Hello All,

Newby from a Alaska and we are ready to take the plunge. Our background is that we have researched and rented for the last 3 years but have never owned a RV.

We have decided on a new Winnebago Access Premier 31JP. This is a bunk house model Class C and will work best for my family of five. We have picked out all of the options and colors and now comes the next step, negotiations. What we would like to do is negotiate a price with our local dealer but first we will get quotes from other dealers as well. We would then like to arrange pick up of the unit at the factory in Forest City and do a drive back vacation next June and July 2013. A few questions

1. Is 70% of MSRP a good place to start negotiations at considering a factory order?
2. Considering our time frame should we negotiate for a 2014 model when pickup will be last week of June/ First week of July 2013?
3. If you have this model, what suggestions do you have?
4. Any body do a factory pickup at WI have any pointers?
5. A good point of contact at Lichtsinn motors in Iowa?
5. Any other suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks,

Gregg in Alaska

PS. I know it is Winnebago
WoodbneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Congratulations on taking that first big step and I will tell you that once you are in it you wont regret it. Your unit is the same as mine I have a 2011 Jayco 31FS (same floor plan) I decided to go with Jayco because their MSRP was lower and they had a better warranty. But I admit that I liked the look of the inside of yours better. Having said that in most industries times are hard and they are ready to bargain. Since you are getting a bunk house unit that puts you in an even better position than most people. Most RVs are built for 2 and I am sure you have noticed that on the lots there aren't a great many choices for the family.

I sold cars for years and the sales manager will do his very best to tell you you are getting the best deal the dealership ever made! The truth of the matter is that he says or implies that to everyone. The next thing to know is that he paid close to the same for that unit as every other dealer in the country so the price is pretty close. They aren't going to take a loss on the deal so hit them at a price that you know they can't do and work up from there.

Use your tools and one of the best is the internet. Go to Yahoo.com and just enter the model number and then add the words for sale. You will get dozens of hits and you can see what other dealerships around the country have them for sale at. This is your starting point remember they are making money. Lets say that Lazy Days in Tampa Florida has your unit in stock and it is on sale for $71,000.00 and that is the lowest you have ever seen. Print the add and put it in a folder don't show it to him right away keep it as your Sunday punch.

The first thing you want to do in the process is have the dealership "Throw in." some things. You want the best Max Air vent covers, you want bump out awnings, you want an auto leveling system and a spare tire for free before the money they are going to give you to spend in their camp store!

Will they do that? The probability is no but you will get some of the things you ask for. What you are doing here is reversing the tables on the dealership. The salesman and sales manager are overjoyed since you have just told them that you are a buyer and that you know what you want. The rule of thumb is the most excited loses. They will probably agree to the vent covers and may even throw in the bump out awnings (if not already equipped) The auto leveling system they can get for considerably less than you can so they may offer it at cost. Once that happens then you hit them with a price well below what you saw it for in Tampa.

Now we are down to the nuts and bolts. They will more than likely sell it to you at or below the sale price in Tampa. If they say "Well that RV is in Tampa Fl and you are here in Alaska."

You say, "Well they are made for camping I may just fly out to Tampa and camp my way back."

You get the idea and you get the camper equipped the way you want it. I do suggest the vent covers and the bump out awnings as they save you money down the road. As to a spare tire and an automatic leveling system they are very nice but not totally necessary. There are several camping organizations that offer road side assistance like Good Sam and your insurance company. You don't want to try and replace a tire on that thing by yourself.

I do highly recommend that you join several camping organizations like Good Sam and Passport America to name a few. You can use them nation wide to get discounts on gear and camping not to mention that they offer roadside assistance.
Since this is your first time in a new RV bring a camera and tape the delivery process. There is a ton of stuff to take in. I also recommend that you get an external surge protector for your coach from the camp store and that you get a top of the line sewer hose. You really don't want that particular thing to go wrong. You can hit Wal-Mart and pick up a plastic container with a lid to store it in as it has a smell all it's own.

As to the model year the warranty starts from the date of pickup. The 2014 will have a better resale value in the short term but I don't know what the difference in equipment would be. If you want some pointers on things to equip the coach I would be more than happy to share some of the things we did for ours.

I hope this helps and wish you happy motoring!
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #3

Nice pointers Davinger!
Travelfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #4

Bought used!

Here is an update.....

I bought a used Sunseeker 2011 with 5800 miles in mint condition. Traveling back to Alaska as we speak. Thanks for all the advice.
WoodbneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #5

Congratulations! Be sure to post some pictures of your trip back to Alaska.
Travelfamily is offline   Reply With Quote