Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #1

Nexus Class "C" Motorhomes

Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with Nexus Motorhomes or the manufacturer?????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #2

What I have read about them on the net has been positive. From my perspective, never having even been in one, they seem to offer a solid package in terms of specs, they seem to be a little more expensive than other brands, and I might like to get some longer term reviews before buying one. All just IMHO.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
mre

I test drove the 32 SC and the 34 G (both diesels) a couple of weeks ago and will probably be ordering 32 SC in the fall (to much going on the next 6 months to order now -- it would just sit). I really can't compare the driving experience to anything as we have had two 5th wheels and to GM duallies in the last 11 years and pop-ups and a travel trailer the preceding 12, but for what its worth, we really liked it. They seem willing to custom work and gave me examples of mods they did for customers. The quality definitely is there. By the way, in addition to Elkhart where they are built, they have a sales center in Florida and one in California.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #4

Talking We love our Nexus!

We got lucky and the day before we were going to pull the trigger on a new Phantom 23P (and fly to Elkhart from Tucson to pick it up), a 2012 with 6200 miles popped up right here in Tucson. We jumped on it and have been nothing but delighted with this coach.

The quality of our Nexus is way above any other C we looked at. They are framed in steel with solid one piece fiberglass roof and end caps, Azdell instead of Luan, electric awning, 35,000 BTU Furnace, quality innerspring queen mattress etc. to name just a few of the higher end features found in a Nexus. The fit and finish is excellent and after 5 months and over 9,000 miles we have not had a single issue.

The folks at Nexus are very accommodating and will work with you, just tell them what you want and they will probably find a way to make it happen. When I called Dave Middleton (VP and co owner with whom I had been negotiating our prospective purchase of a new unit), and told him I had found an "as new" Phantom here in Tucson he could not have been nicer (despite losing a sale).

He congratulated me on the great deal we got, welcomed us to the "Nexus Family", and asked if there was anything they could do for us. I gave him the Vin and asked for the specs on the original sale and they were e mailed to me the next day. Obviously I am a tad biased but getting a quality product at a great price tends to do that.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Congrats on your Nexus!

Congrats on finding an almost-new Nexus! The more I look at them online, the more I like them. I'm curious if you feel you have enough room without having a slide...?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #6

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandymplz View Post
Congrats on finding an almost-new Nexus! The more I look at them online, the more I like them. I'm curious if you feel you have enough room without having a slide...?
Yes, the floor plan of our Phantom 23P is fine without a slide. In fact we did not want a slide as they add weight, expense and sooner or later they will give you trouble. The Nexus is a "wide body" at 101" and this contributes to the livability of this coach.

Keep in mind that 99% of the time it is just my bride, myself and da pooch and we are not "big" people. If you are over 6' tall or the first number when you get on the scale is larger than one you will probably find any 24' motorhome to be a little snug but our Nexus is the roomiest 24 you will ever find with lots of headroom and abundant storage and the cabover bunk is 8' long X 57" wide. Everyone who takes a look agrees that it feels much larger than 24'
Old 03-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Explain "wide body" @ 101 inches wide, all C's I have owned as well as A's were 8'5" wide.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #8

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Explain "wide body" @ 101 inches wide, all C's I have owned as well as A's were 8'5" wide.
Not much to explain as not all C's are 101", mine is and I believe that is the maximum allowable width(???). The only ones that are wider are the folks with slides stuck in the out position. To name just one, all of the Born Free's that I have seen are less than 101" as are a number of other brands.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
Not much to explain as not all C's are 101", mine is and I believe that is the maximum allowable width(???). The only ones that are wider are the folks with slides stuck in the out position. To name just one, all of the Born Free's that I have seen are less than 101" as are a number of other brands.
Why is it that the only people that bag on slides are the ones that don't have them? The only brand of Class C I have owned has been Fleetwood, I guess I am spoiled because it is 8'6" (102") wide. I find that the width and the slides contributes to the livability of this coach as well as the 60x80 full queen walk around bed.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #10

Wink

I am guessing you meant "Rag" on slides and if you were referring to my prior post I was joking but I guess you did not get that. For the record I am not a fan of slides but lots of folks like, want or actually need them which doesn't keep me up nights. Large folks or folks with multiple kids, dogs or who camp in areas where rainy days are common benefit from the extra floor space, no question.

The problems with slides are well documented and while the newer ones seem to be getting better in terms of reliability they will always be potentially problematic. The folks that do regular maintenance usually have the fewest problems. With tongue firmly planted in cheek I have always maintained that there are two kinds of folks with slides.... those that have had problems and those that will (there is no third category). .

What I find absurd are the arguments that everyone "just has" to have a slide and more is better. This is usually followed by the nonsense that you will never be able to sell any RV that does not have a slide(s). :face palm: For those of you that have and love them I say good for you, enjoy!

Those of us who choose not to go with slides life is a simpler, albeit somewhat smaller place. Most of our friends have them, like them and every one of them has had issues. As always.... Opinions and YMMV.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
How about the Nexus Ghost? Any opinions on them? I ask that because the DW and I are definitely planning a trip to Elkhart in June to look at them.
Please. I'd like to hear from you.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not a fan of slides. Just something else to have problems with down the road. Since we are campers with no kids and not full timers that might make a difference in someone's decision. We purposely avoided getting a slide on our latest as at 102" wide we have plenty of room and a queen that's not stuffed in a corner. No doubt about it that slides add weight.

When we travel we want to use the bed without having to put out a slide. We looked at a couple that had bedroom slides and you could not use the bed unless the slide was extended. The mattress was actually folded with the slide in. That to us was a huge negative when traveling and I for one thought it was a ridiculous design.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #13

We just bought our MH to camp and not for lifestyle. Why we opted out from a slide. In our mind...less moving parts and easier to maintain down the road for years. The reason we chose a Class C is the power of 'get up and go with little hassle'. Wash, rinse throw back in it's cover when not in use. I own a custom Harley and know quite well what's it's like anxiously waiting for your toy to get out of the shop.

If we plan on making RVing a lifestyle, then for sure we would want the slides.

Cheers.

Tags
motorhome