Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #15

They do have some kinks to work out. Overall, the coach is beautiful. We love our custom paint and the other customizations the company allowed us to do with absolutely NO problems from them. They were MORE than accommodating in that area. You would only get this type of specialization if you were buying a very expensive rig. We seriously considered the Seneca but it was basically "as is." In the end, We didn't want to buy a Seneca because we thought the Greyhawk was assembly-lined and needed to fix a lot of under the carriage wiring, tubing work, basically sloppy factory work. But, The finish work inside was beautiful with attention to detail like the Seneca.

Our main complaint with the Ghost is the cargo bays outside the rig. They are the ones that open upward and are the same type of doors as the Greyhawk...we do not like them. If only they could make the doors the way the Seneca is. Also, it is very tall inside. If you are average size, be prepared to buy a bunk ladder for the upper bunk/berth and a stool to get into the cabinets!! We also do miss the pantry in the Greyhawk. The Ghost has some room next to the u shaped couch for a narrow pantry. Maybe this could be considered. Okay, a few other things to discuss...the bathroom is tiny. No room to dry off or change. And there are no pocket doors for privacy in between the living area and in between the master bedroom and bunks. We purchased a fabric shower curtain and rod and hung this up when the bunk slide is open. But, no privacy between the bunks and the master bedroom. It is difficult to hang a curtain there. It lacks outlets...only one in the kitchen area, one under the table, one in the bathroom and one in the master bedroom. Just something to get used to, that's all.

What we love as well: big enough to compete with the bigger super Cs on the road but not too big, excellent towing, smooth ride, fairly quiet, excellent turn radius, decent navigation system, very comfortable soft king mattress, instant-hot hot water system, beautiful custom paint, comfortable front seats, roomy comfortable u shaped dinette, cool looking outside led lights, nice accents inside, spring-closed overhead cabinets.

I hope this helps more. I will be posting more later and attempt to post some pics!
Sunshine23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #16

Thanks sunshine23, best of luck with the rig and look forward to any pics you may post.
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #17

My Nexus Experience

I've owned my 24P for a month now and love it but like many newer owners I've been in touch with, there were problems and issues that should have been dealt with prior to delivery and a few I'm still finding, all relatively minor. Here is my suggestion based on how I managed this purchase; unlike buying from a dealer (where frankly the same problems can arise and maybe they're dealt with and maybe not) purchasing a customized unit factory direct requires a different commitment on the customer's part but a much more rewarding overall experience, being involved from construction to delivery with your sales rep as your proxy.
I made 2 lengthy visits there before and after the build and that is my recommended method. I also got a LOT of help through our Nexus Owners E-group and RVillage group, (both independent of the company) which, if you're interested in being a part of, you can PM me. If Nexus can work on quality control/communication they can have the best company on the market. The build and quality of materials is excellent and the almost unlimited options make it uniquely yours, or you can take a ready made off the showroom. If you're prepared and want to be involved in the process, this is the company to work with, just check all inspection boxes at pick up and stay till its how you want it. I was there 4 days and treated great by everyone. Its a terrific group of hardworking people, camping with electric is on the property so you can try everything out before leaving, there's a Wal-Mart a few miles away (I had my RV stuff shipped up) and another lovely campground a few miles up the road. That area of the country is also very pretty, hardwood trees and gently rolling hills. So be prepared to do your homework (true, really for any big purchase) and go for it.
abbyarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:42 PM   #18

I have to completely agree with you on all points. And I appreciate the info on the e-group and would be to a part of that so experiences and information can be shared between Nexus owners. There were quite a few things we discovered (basically, trial by fire) as we took the first couple of trips. We are still learning the coach. Shared information is extremely helpful!! We are still not clear on a few things regarding the ins and outs of the coach and would love feedback, particularly on the ghost.

We don't want to keep bugging the manager there with every little thing but we did feel we needed to inform them of some issues we discovered that were quality problems; preventable from the factory. If my husband didn't discover them early, we would have had a couple problems on our hands down the road...literally.

But with that said, We purchased our RV without visiting Nexus but we were okay with that. We saw the videos about a thousand times and They had constant communication with us as they were customizing it for us...LOVED that. We had no doubt in our minds that we were going to buy the ghost.

I would love to hear from more Nexus owners and I promise as soon I can shrink the kb on my pics, I will post.
Sunshine23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
I am a Winnebago View owner (2014) . I ordered online, and flew to Forest City to pick my new RV up. This motorhome now has 21K miles in 10 months. We have had RV's for over 30 Years-and, Love them. BUT.....they are all JUNK. Stuff does not work, fit, leaks, squeaks, rattles, and is poor quality- from day 1. My 2014 Winnebago has a Frig that quits when it wants-I reset it- and it works again, till it does not want to work. My Jensen Radio will not, nor never has played the iPod. I did not even try to get them fixed by an unwilling dealer, because the aggravation involved in fixing is worse than the problem.

So, do not let the weaknesses in your coach keep you from having fun, We just got back to Fla from a 11800mi trip to Jasper, Lake Louise, and both Olympic Natl Parks-plus a lot more out & back, including the Gulf Islands in BC-and- a boat to Alaska inside Passage. We had a ball, & could not have done the trip without an RV- Have Fun- Carry On-Enjoy what you have!
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #20

Good attitude to have Deny, we have to enjoy ourselves while we can...
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #21

We just finished a 4-day stay at the NeXus factory having warranty work done on our Phantom 32P. Kind of a laundry list of standard issues. We took delivery in Florida at the end of January and used it a few times between then and now. We're starting a 7,000 mile trip from Michigan to Nev. Utah, Arizona and places in between, and then back to Florida in early October.

Would we have preferred not to spend 4 days at the NeXus factory? Well of course; it would have been great if the unit had been perfect from the start. But that has never been our experience with any of the motor homes we've owned.

We also spent 4 days at "Camp Newmar" back in '08 having a similar laundry list of issues fixed on our 43' Dutch Star.

The folks at NeXus are good at what they do, and we were glad it was easy for us to stop in Elkhart on our way to visit family in Mich. Our plan is to enjoy our trip, and keep fixing what ever goes wrong on the RV. That's how we've been doing it for the past 25 years.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #22

I feel your pain.
It's unfortunate that there is not any information about Nexus for new buyers. As a very disappointed owner of a Nexus Ghost allow me to share with you.

1. Nexus is factory direct because no one is willing to deal with the superficial quality of their products. The interiors are little more than poster board held with inferior glue. Appliances are bargain basement and discontinued products that cannot be repaired or replaced. Engineering is dubious at best (no heat in bathroom, hot water system cannot be regulated, self-leveling jacks cannot be calibrated or manually adjusted, slides imbalanced. Etc.).

2. Warranty service is abysmal. No reputable dealer or service center will deal with them because Nexus has an extremely poor reputation for blaming others for Nesus' shortcomings. My Ghost has been sitting in a shop trying to get the slides fixed for over three months. Nexus repeatedly has sent the incorrect parts, blamed the slide manufacturer and the RV service center which I was finally able to get the coach into for warranty work, and has never sent a tech from Nexus to help resolve the problem. Customer service is pretty much non-existent, filled with empty promises and out-and-out lies.

In short, Nexus does not build your dreams as they claim in their brochures and logos, the build your worst nightmares.

San10665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #23

San10665, DITTO
lazycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #24

My experience with the Nexus rv company has been very good. We have a 23p with 14,000 miles on it. This is our second rv. The first was a Road Trek 210. The Road trek was a very good vehicle also but I am 6'3'' tall and I like the interior height of the 23p. I dont hit my head.

The things I like about the Nexus is that it has no luan plywood in the walls or roof, it has Azdel. The cage is welded steel and should last a very long time without stress fractures at the joints. It has a fiberglass roof. It has a front fiber glass cap and a rear fiberglass cap. From a materials standpoint Nexus has selected the best types to prevent water intrusion and damage if it ever leaks. The assembly process seems to be pretty good. Ours has shown no signs of leaks into the coach. And the pex plumbing has stainless crimp rings for fasteners on their pipes. That is the best you can use.

The smaller Nexus Cs are built on a Ford chassis which is now a proven gas platform with no real issues.

Our Nexus has tons of storage room for clothes, food, and toys. We carry a 14 inflatable Kaboat with a 2.5 hp outboard for water exploration. We have yet to really fill it up completely with stuff. We also tow a 3,500lb boat /trailer behind with no real issues and I can launch the 19' C Dory boat with the rv pretty easily.

We have camped in 110 degree heat and in temps in the 20s. No real cooling or heating issues.

We like the lay out because it keeps the coach length at 25 feet bumper to bumper and we tour in it without dragging a toad. Parking is manageable with the 25ft in most places.

The water system is in the heated walls and the black and gray tanks have a gas furnace heat duct into them so freezing is not a problem.

The only things that have really failed have been the Norcold Ref mother board which I had to replace; One Ford power plug had the polarity reversed and it ate my Garmin power supply but Ford fixed the plug under warranty; The back up camera monitor failed but Nexus sent me another no charge. The TV failed and Nexus sent me a new one no charge.

I have done the following things to the rv to make it fit our needs better. Added two drawers to the kitchen per instructions from my wife; added shelves where my wife directed,replaced the free standing table with one attached to the wall which is removeable; added a spare tire rack; added an accumulator to the water pump, added positive drawer latches to all drawers; changed the shower nozzle to a kitchen type to conserve water; added catch dowels to the medicine cabinets; added coat hooks: reworked the under seat storage compartments to make them easier to use; took off the pretty fake hub caps so I can check lug nuts while on the road; added air bag springs so I can level the coach with load changes; epoxied all the undersides of the counters to prevent water damage to MDF substrate; re enforced all the drawers because the construction technique was weak: put in solid cherry wood toe kick to protect the cabinet bases. None of these changes are a big deal in my eyes.

I have given the Nexus managers a detailed list of things they may want to address in the future. We have discussed those a length on the phone.

So what do I really not like about the Nexus RV.? Well I am a fine furniture maker. It was a hobby while I was in corporate life. And it turned into a business after retirement. Solid wood furniture of all kinds. Including Windsor chairs. Very high end custom cabinets. I teach furniture making at a school for adults. Given my background I just hate MDF which is used on the Nexus cabinets. It is pretty and uniform but it does not like water and it damages easily. The drawer fronts and the doors on the Nexus are good grade cabinet solid wood but the face frames are wrapped MDF. I wish they were solid wood. But that is just me. They look pretty good. The techniques used by Nexus to construct their drawers are bad. Not because of the materials but their drawer makers are clearly amateurs. I have pointed that out to Nexus and they may have fixed it by now. I fixed mine in about 2 hours but I have every woodworking tool known to man and I know how to use them.

I think they make a very good RV. Not perfect. But good value. If I wear this one out or decide to go bigger Nexus will be the first place I go.

If you are a Nexus owner and what to share info please contact me. If you would like details of any of my fixes let me know.

Slowtrot
Slowtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:25 PM   #25

I purchased a 28p from Nexus last June. And I was not impressed by the Service department. I also had to have all seven of my windows replaced because each one of them were leaking from the top and bottom one was also installed upside down. If the hundreds of pictures and videos they finally agreed to replace them. But when They sent seven windows only four of them were the new type and the other three were the old type. So guess what three continue to leak correct three of the old type that they sent and once again they had to be replaced. So there was some water damage to my unit. I am happy with my unit but I would not buy from them again.
on2thenext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #26

Red face Easy cowboy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by San10665 View Post
I feel your pain.
It's unfortunate that there is not any information about Nexus for new buyers. As a very disappointed owner of a Nexus Ghost allow me to share with you.

1. Nexus is factory direct because no one is willing to deal with the superficial quality of their products. The interiors are little more than poster board held with inferior glue. Appliances are bargain basement and discontinued products that cannot be repaired or replaced. Engineering is dubious at best (no heat in bathroom, hot water system cannot be regulated, self-leveling jacks cannot be calibrated or manually adjusted, slides imbalanced. Etc.).

2. Warranty service is abysmal. No reputable dealer or service center will deal with them because Nexus has an extremely poor reputation for blaming others for Nesus' shortcomings. My Ghost has been sitting in a shop trying to get the slides fixed for over three months. Nexus repeatedly has sent the incorrect parts, blamed the slide manufacturer and the RV service center which I was finally able to get the coach into for warranty work, and has never sent a tech from Nexus to help resolve the problem. Customer service is pretty much non-existent, filled with empty promises and out-and-out lies.

In short, Nexus does not build your dreams as they claim in their brochures and logos, the build your worst nightmares.

Sorry dude but your post reeks of misinformation and is probably libelous due to the many inaccuracies (as in "out-and-out lies"). There is no "poster board" anywhere in a Nexus coach. I have a 2012 Phantom 23P and there is no, none, nada, whatsoever particle board or even plywood anywhere in the coach. All of the appliances are industry standard, usually at the upper end.

What sort of calibration are you seeking from your water heater? Mine works just fine on AC or LP. My 35,000 BTU furnace has 4 ducts including one in the bathroom. I have no slides or leveling jacks as they are totally unnecessary. Did these systems work when you did your PDI? If not why did you accept delivery? If they failed after delivery have you spoken with Claude or Dave (the owners), about your frustration with service issues?

Your assertion that "No reputable dealer or service center will deal with them because Nexus has an extremely poor reputation for blaming others for Nexus' shortcomings." is absurd (see also libelous).

Buying factory direct has its advantages, mostly financial, but it does require that the buyer be knowledgable and willing to make at least one and preferably two trips to Elkhart, one to see firsthand and the order the coach you seek and the second at delivery to insure that coach has been completed to your satisfaction. If you weren't willing or able to do so it is not surprising that your experience was probably less than ideal. It has been my experience that communication (absent a negative attitude), can get solve just about any issue.

How about some facts to support your assertions... what model and year did you purchase? Did you take delivery at the factory and what issues arose at the PDI? Who at Nexus has "lied" to you and about what? Care to name the "reputable dealers, service centers" that won't deal with Nexus? Do you really expect Nexus to send a tech rep from Elkhart to your location to deal with service issues?

I hope things work out for you, I really do. Consider that more (accurate), information might just generate some helpful suggestions from the folks here on the Forum. Good luck.
Capt Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #27

I happen to love my NeXus 2015 25P

I'm aware that customer experience with NeXus has been uneven and have found that to be true on just about every comparable brand during 5 years of research before I went with this company. Most customers with issues did NOT take the required time to be their own GC on the project and thus encountered major errors that would have been addressed prior to driving off the lot. I made two trips to Elkhart, one to tour the factory and design my unit, the second for pick up. I stayed a week and used EVERYTHING, NeXus took care of every issue, all of which were minor, and have taken care of every issue, also minor, since I bought my coach last June. It is important to set up a shop near you to do your warranty work prior to purchase, and they list shops around the country on their website that are already on their warranty service list. I just used one in Mesa, AZ and the bill went directly to NeXus, I paid for nothing. I bought NeXus for the following reasons - 1)factory direct, allowing continued direct communication/relationship with your rep and the owners not possible from dealerships where I was always treated rudely 2) Design your own, I made lots of mods and alterations to my design and still came in under the price of a similar RV from other off the shelf brands 3) fiberglass body, cap, rear, no rubber roof 4) steel construction instead of aluminum 5) better quality ducting systems and cabinet doors, yes, the cabinet boxes are pressed wood like every other RV in the price range, real wood boxes would add significant weight. The only complaint I would agree on is prompt customer response when I call or email, they are aware of this and working to improve. For a company in only its 6th year they've come far. I would encourage anyone interested in researching NeXus to visit Elkhart or one of their showrooms around the country, or visit their booth at the RV Shows. I am part of an email group of NeXus owners, unaffiliated with the company, and we are very helpful and supportive to each other on problems and solutions, you can pm me if you're interested in joining. I know several owners not on irv2 that are thrilled with their NeXus, as am I.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #28

INVITE FROM NEXUS: NeXus will be hosting "Back Home in Indiana" this summer, Th 8/13 to Su 8/16. Attendees can stay at the factory with electric only hookup (only 8 spots) or at Elkhart C.G. a few minutes away. The company will be hosting a dinner, a wine and cheese party, an hour of complimentary service work and are inviting their vendors to come and do presentations. I am not affiliated with the company, just a happy owner who offered to campaign this get-together for them. Please pm me if you'd like to attend and want more info. AbbyArts

Tags
service