RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nexus motorhome

anybody have any experience with the quality and durability of these motorhomes
especially the max force engines? thanks for info

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2017, 07:38 AM   #2
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
anybody have any experience with the quality and durability of these motorhomes
especially the max force engines? thanks for info
If you haven't already done so, you might try a search. I know there have been discussions about them. Several years ago we were seriously looking at them and I participated in some of them.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #3

Wink Buying factory direct.... Nexus

You can save serious money on some very nice, higher quality coaches buying direct from Nexus but.... To do so effectively you must be a knowledgeable, experienced RV'er who is will to make at least two trips to Elkhart.

The first trip should be to review their product line, tour the factory and get acquainted with their staff and design in any custom touches you seek. The second trip comes at delivery where a THOROUGH PDI needs to be done followed by a couple of days on site testing every system. No RV maker builds the perfect RV and Nexus is no exception.

They do however build a quality product and are very flexible in customizing your new coach just about any way you want. The quality of their construction is excellent; framed in steel, one piece fiberglass roof's, heated tanks, mirrors, electric awnings/power seats, top of the line appliances etc..

For the record we bought our 2012 23P Phantom used 3.5 years ago and after 33,000+ trouble free miles I cannot say enough good things about our coach and the customer service they extended to us even though we did not buy from them.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #4

I bought two new motor homes from nexus rv , i am familiar with both the maxforce and cummins . what would you like to know ??
n2587n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2587n View Post
I bought two new motor homes from nexus rv , i am familiar with both the maxforce and cummins . what would you like to know ??
I'm going to threadjack Ron's post a bit, but hopefully the answers will be useful for him as well.

Can you give some insight into any major or minor problems you've had with them and how Nexus was at dealing with issues that came up?

I'm specifically interested/concerned about leaking as that seems to be the bane of many RVs, especially class C's like I"m looking for.

Do they give a way to get slides in/out if they fail (I think Phoenix provides a crank, others you can disconnect the electric and muscle it in and maybe out).

How about fit/finish and rattles?
tnedator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #6

OK , On the phantom there are two motors on each slid out if ether fails or if they get out of calibration , it is a very big deal , the motors are" next to impossible "to get to , there controlled by a module for each slid out , each motor has like 6 very small wires so you can not even jumper the motors to move the slid outs . we did have a water leak above the cab , however it was a easy fix with some silicone . the max force diesel engine is used in lots of school buses "terra star chassis "and in that world has lots of problems . and is very expensive to repair .

On the ghost there is a lot of differences , the slide outs can be opened and closed with a drill . and the one motor per slid out is easy to get to ,
the cab cap is a much better design and wont leak water .
the ghost is built on the "durra star chassis" with the cummins diesel engine .
this is a true truck engine and is trouble free , the oil filter a bit messy to change .

fit/finish and rattles I would say the nexus over all is above average ,
the ghost comes with air ride and is A LOT smother then the phantom

I own a repair shop and I feel the supper c is by far the best set up
when traveling if you brake down you can go to any truck shop and get repairs , its basically a box truck when it comes to repairs, unlike a class a where the bed room needs to come out .

and has easy access to wiring and plumbing .
Old 02-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #7

pic of my ghost

pic of my ghost
One more thing on the ghost , the exhaust was very low , so i raised it a fue inches , kind of hard to see in this pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0012.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	151931  
Old 02-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #8

here is the old camper

here is the old camper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151025_155339.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	151940  
Old 02-24-2017, 12:16 AM   #9

I have a Ghost 34DS. I like the durastar chassis. The Cummins mated with the Allison 3000hs tranny is a great combination. The warranty has been great. The unit needed an alignment and Nexus told me to find a local shop to do it and they would pay for it. I emailed the receipt to Nexus and I had the check a few days later.
The fit and finish is nice and I've had no leaks.
I like it.
b17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:34 PM   #10

Nexus Trailer plug help

Hey sorry for the random question but after calling Nexus like half a dozen times with no follow up I am looking for a simple question answered.

Someone stole the plastic flip up door off my 7 way trailer plug. The brand name of the plug is on the door they broke off.

Just need anyone who has a newer Phantom or Ghost with the combo 7 pin and 4 pin plug to tell me what the brand name is on the black plastic flip up door.

Thanks in advance to anyone with access to their Phantom or Ghost
Mnstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #11

Nexus motorhome

It is a Reese hitch and plug. Easier to replace the whole piece. They break off if you back over a high curb too. Donít ask me how I know.
http://www.reeseprod.com/products/el...zoohIASwwRczBS
b17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:59 AM   #12

We went by there Monday while we were in Elkhart. They no longer have the showroom and have converted that space to final inspection and PDI. I wanted to introduce Kelly to the Super C. One of the sales rep came down and after speaking to us took us into the back and showed us a Super C that was being prepped and also a Class A. They were also putting another through it's cycles to check everything.
They also are in the process of establishing a dealer network.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #13

Simple post - avoid the Maxxforce engine completely. Like a bad dream you don't ever want to have again or your worst nightmare. Been there, done that. It failed, it fails, and it will never run "right" and it will stay in some International shop lot for most of it's life. In this case "birth control" should have been applied.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak70 View Post
Simple post - avoid the Maxxforce engine completely. Like a bad dream you don't ever want to have again or your worst nightmare. Been there, done that. It failed, it fails, and it will never run "right" and it will stay in some International shop lot for most of it's life. In this case "birth control" should have been applied.
Based on observations and experience I tend to agree. There is a reason most of the motorhomes in this price range use the Cummins engine.

bmwrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome