Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
This is all JMHO and my perception.

Premium or mainstream is not about the sales model (I.e., sold direct or through dealer). It's about the quality which often comes at a price.

I would put brands like Born Free and Lazy Daze in the premium camp. Largely because of their construction being one piece without seams. And that comes at a price. Also trade offs as I think there's only a model or two with slides.

I would consider Nexus more mainstream, albeit I would argue real high (if not at the top) on the list. And as someone said earlier in this post they don't have a real long term track record yet so time may change things.

Again, JMHO and my perception.
Good post. I did find BF to be higher in quality. I have found BF owners to be extremely brand loyal. Many seem to like the movement to new designed coaches with slides and a superior new ride system, see their website. These innovations have really increased their prices and make a new coach difficult for a new RV'er to accept as their initial purchase. Many new Class A coaches are lower priced. The beauty of the RV world is with multiple models at many price levels, there is a coach for each individual.
Laker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #16

I define mainstream as the usual high-volume producers - Jayco, Thor, Fleetwood, Coachmen etc. LayzDaze, Born Free and maybe one or two others are significantly different products, IMHO. Since I owned a LazyDaze on the way to our Class A coaches, I'm most familiar with that brand. My initial impression is that Nexus has carved out a niche somewhere between the two extremes. But it's way to early to know for sure again IMHO. I'll certainly know more in a couple years and maybe 10,000 miles. We're planning some 5 - 6 week trips in ours over the next two years, plus numerous 1- 2 week shorter excursions; I'll know much more then.

I'm not bashing Nexus in any way - heck I bought one! After touring the plant, you realize that the construction methods are very traditional, as opposed to a Born Free or LazyDaze. I just think they are doing a better job of building them, and paying attention to detail.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #17

We too have a Nexus being built. Ours is a Viper 29V, projected finish date in late Dec---it'll be interesting driving it to N Idaho, in Jan! I met with Claude and spent hours with Loren in Pomona in Oct, and placed an order. We are experienced users and put 78000 miles on our 2008 Allegro Bay. We are downsizing----too many places we like to go don't have sites big enough for a 36' triple slide class A.

My frustration with Nexus was understanding what my options were. As I learned at Pomona----except for changing the floorplan and basic features---just about anything is optionable. We added windows to the sides of the dinette & Sofa slides, valances with legs and MCD shades to all the windows, drawers in place of shelves under the cooktop and many other no listed options. None of these are listed---you gotta ask for them! How is one to know what to ask for??

I would agree with the comments others have made, but I would add---I doubt any of the others offer the customizing---"Have it your way"---that Nexus has available. The models at Pomona all had excellent fit & finish.

Ron
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #18

Nexus = Top of the line quality and value

We found our 2012 Nexus Phantom 23P "used" (6,205 miles - 8.8 hours on the genset), and have not looked back. In the first four months we have put over 8,000 miles on the coach and have had zero, zip, nada, as in none whatsoever issues.

The 6.8L V-10 (married to the 5 speed Torque shift trans and full tow haul mode), goes up and down the mountains without even breathing hard. The 55 gallon fuel tank gives me 500 miles of range with a 50 mile cushion.... yes we are averaging right at 10 mpg consistently (I cruise at 60 mph).

We looked at a lot of C's before finding our gem and I can assure you that Nexus is one of the highest quality C's ever built. Their standard features look like and option wish list from the lesser brands and the quality of their build is excellent.

For the record they are framed in steel (not aluminum), have solid one piece fiberglass roof and end caps, use Azdel not Luan, come with heated tanks, awesome Amish cabinetry, our queen is a top quality inner spring mattress and the cabover bunk on top of being huge (8' X 57"), is very comfortable especially when used as a TV lounge with the 26" Vizio and DVD player. It came with a real oven, three burner stove and the microwave is as large as the one in my house. We have an unbelievable amount of storage about 40% of which we have yet to use.

Nexus may be a recent arrival on the Class C marketplace but they offer more bang for the buck than any other builder, period. Good luck finding a used one as they are rare (we got exceedingly lucky on that), but if you do jump on it! :thumb
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
90% are on same Ford chassis, not sure steel is better than aluminum, and heated tanks, big whoop, the Fleetwood I drive has a heated basement. Nexus is not hands down better, and they have same old boring floor plans boring.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #20

Abby,

I would add Sunseeker to your list. We've just ordered one after a lot of looking. Quality vs. money seemed quite good to us. They have a continuous improvement mindset and have made several small changes during this model year alone. They also have the Forester line. It's a bit more upscale, but you don't find many to look at, or buy.

They and some other manufacturers offer some of their short models on Chevy 4500 chassis as well as the much more common Ford chassis. I bring this up since you mentioned gas mileage of a B+ vs. C. The Chevys seem to get 1-2 MPG more than Fords, according to owners. Our current small MH is a Chevy, and it gets very good mileage and handles well (another area where the Fords sometimes have issues). I'm not a Chevy or Ford guy, I couldn't care less. But I am very satisfied with the Chevy. We ordered a Sunseeker 2300, which is a rear queen and corner bath, on the Chevy.
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #21

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
90% are on same Ford chassis, not sure steel is better than aluminum, and heated tanks, big whoop, the Fleetwood I drive has a heated basement. Nexus is not hands down better, and they have same old boring floor plans boring.

Stronger (that would be steel), is better when it comes to the framing. The entire interior is attached to that framing which dramatically increases the structural integrity of the coach. Heated tanks or enclosures aren't found on all that many C's and I find it to be a very nice "Standard" feature.

Pick the floor plan you like, we did and it works very well, probably why that "boring" floor plan is so popular and found in so many different lines. The floor plans I could not live with were from Born Free, not one of theirs worked for us.

Our last rig was a Fleetwood TT which we enjoyed for 4 years but it was nowhere near the quality of our Nexus. As always.... Opinions and YMMV.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Stronger is better, however, you have to consider weight and corrosion resistance, which is aluminum. Trying to make point that Nexus is not hands down winner. They do nothing that is really unique or ground breaking. Can't really compare a TT to a Class C, and Fleetwood has really stepped up its game. I own a Fleetwood, however, not endorsing Fleetwood, but for the price, very good purchase.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #23

Wink

Quote:
Stronger is better, however, you have to consider weight and corrosion resistance, which is aluminum. Trying to make point that Nexus is not hands down winner. They do nothing that is really unique or ground breaking. Can't really compare a TT to a Class C, and Fleetwood has really stepped up its game. I own a Fleetwood, however, not endorsing Fleetwood, but for the price, very good purchase.
My Phantom is no heavier than any of its competition, just better/stronger built. It does not and probably never will leak and the steel is inside, so much for a corrosion issues.

You like yours and I like mine, nothing wrong there. But I still maintain that bang for the buck you will be hard pressed to beat the value of a Nexus. They do business differently than just about any other builder. First time I called I got Dave Middleton, the VP and Co owner. When I found my used Nexus Dave's response was "Sorry you didn't buy a new one from us but welcome to the Nexus family. How can I help you? He then sent me the spec sheet from the original sale.

Fleetwood has been around a long time building lots of RV's and they all have a lot in common. Since this thread is primarily about the relatively new Nexus line I just wanted to share my experience which as noted includes owning a nice Fleetwood for 4 years.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yay, you love your Nexus, maybe a little to much, still have not convinced me they are hands down the best.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #25

Talking

Quote:
Yay, you love your Nexus, maybe a little to much, still have not convinced me they are hands down the best.
"Hands down best" is your phrase not mine. I said best bang for the buck which has always been my benchmark for any purchase. Look what you get from Nexus and what they cost and my statement stands true.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ay, Ay, Captain, but not according to their web site. You have not convinced me they are the best bang for the buck.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #27

Geez....
Old 12-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Are you not entertained?